What is the radius of convergence of

In summary: Rather than just ignoring the (-1)^n handle it with a squeeze type thing. E.g. n/2<=n+(-1)^n<=2n. You can easily find the outer limits.
Shackleford

Homework Statement

z ∈ ℂ

What is the radius of convergence of (n=0 to ∞) Σ anzn?

Homework Equations

I used the Cauchy-Hardamard Theorem and found the lim sup of the convergent subsequences.

[tex]a_n = \frac{n+(-1)^n}{n^2}[/tex]

limn→∞ |an|1/n

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the radius of convergence is one, i.e. |z| < 1. I figured that the numerator would tend to n with the oscillating 1 and so you'd get [tex]\frac{n^{1/n}}{n^{2/n}} = 1[/tex]

R = 1/limn→∞ |an|1/n

Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:

Homework Statement

z ∈ ℂ

What is the radius of convergence of (n=0 to ∞) Σ anzn?

Homework Equations

I used the Cauchy-Hardamard Theorem and found the lim sup of the convergent subsequences.

[tex]a_n = \frac{n+(-1)^n}{n^2}[/tex]

limn→∞ |an|1/n

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the radius of convergence is one, i.e. |z| < 1. I figured that the numerator would tend to n with the oscillating 1 and so you'd get [tex]\frac{n^{1/n}}{n^{2/n}} = 1[/tex]

R = 1/limn→∞ |an|1/n

That's a little informal but it looks fine. You might want worry about what happens at z=1 and z=(-1) if you are concerned about the boundary cases.

Dick said:
That's a little informal but it looks fine. You might want worry about what happens at z=1 and z=(-1) if you are concerned about the boundary cases.

I assume a singularity is there and outside of the disk the series is divergent. Well, I'm leaving out a few bits of information in my "proof" here. I'll state a bit more of the background. What would a more formal proof look like?

Shackleford said:
I assume a singularity is there and outside of the disk the series is divergent. Well, I'm leaving out a few bits of information in my "proof" here. I'll state a bit more of the background. What would a more formal proof look like?

Rather than just ignoring the (-1)^n handle it with a squeeze type thing. E.g. n/2<=n+(-1)^n<=2n. You can easily find the outer limits. Discuss what happens when z=1 or z=(-1).

Related to What is the radius of convergence of

What is the radius of convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence of a power series is the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point where the series converges. It determines the interval of x-values for which the power series will converge.

How is the radius of convergence determined?

The radius of convergence is determined by applying the Ratio Test to the power series. The Ratio Test compares the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms to a limiting value, and the series will converge if the limiting value is less than 1.

What happens when the radius of convergence is infinity?

If the radius of convergence is infinity, it means that the power series converges for all values of x. This is also known as a "global convergence".

Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence must be a positive number. A negative radius would mean that the center of the series is outside of the interval of convergence, which is not possible.

What is the relationship between the radius of convergence and the interval of convergence?

The radius of convergence and the interval of convergence are closely related. The radius of convergence determines the size of the interval where the series will converge, and the interval of convergence is the actual set of x-values for which the series converges. The interval of convergence can be equal to, smaller than, or larger than the radius of convergence.