What is the Purpose of Black Holes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a black hole and whether it has a purpose or not. One participant argues that for something to have a purpose, it would require an intelligent creator, which has no place in scientific research. The other participant argues that asking why questions is pointless and that the idea of "purpose" is not relevant to science. The conversation ends with the conclusion that it is an unscientific conversation and is locked.
Willowz
A little philosophical question.

What would you say is the purpose of a black hole? To create another universe? To somehow balance the distribution of mass? Any guesses or hunches? Just curious.

Space news on Phys.org
The idea that black holes (or any other sort of astronomical object) would have some kind of inherent purpose that we can identify seems absurd to me.

the purpose of a black hole is to get itself talked about :frown:

if we ignore them, they won't bother us :smile:

nicksauce said:
The idea that black holes (or any other sort of astronomical object) would have some kind of inherent purpose that we can identify seems absurd to me.
Why?

tiny-tim said:
the purpose of a black hole is to get itself talked about :frown:

if we ignore them, they won't bother us :smile:
This is unfortunate. I don't want to ignore them.

Willowz said:
Why?

Why should it have a purpose?

For something to have a purpose posits the existence of an intelligent "creator". In this reasoning it would be a God, which holds no value in scientific research.

Pengwuino said:
Why should it have a purpose?
Because it exists.

Kevin_Axion said:
For something to have a purpose posits the existence of an intelligent "creator". In this reasoning it would be a God, which holds no value in scientific research.
No, none of that. Please.

What do you mean? My reasoning isn't flawed, in fact, it completely negates your point, ultimately making it an unscientific idea.

Kevin_Axion said:
What do you mean? My reasoning isn't flawed, in fact, it completely negates your point, ultimately making it an unscientific idea.
Maybe, but it doesn't make any sense. So, I see no reason to bring it up.

How does it not make sense? Firstly, your initial question is arbitrary because the level of reasoning is limited to scientific questions. Asking why something exists holds a great level of uncertainty and probability for error. If I were to ask the common question "Why do electrical charges repel and attract based on them being either positive or negative?" no one would be able to answer your question scientifically. This then exists in the realm of philosophy because as Feynman states asking why questions is pointless, they continue ad infinitum without any reasonable progress in one's understanding.

This is an unscientific conversation. The idea of "purpose" is not relevant to science. Locked.

Related to What is the Purpose of Black Holes?

1. What is the purpose of black holes?

The purpose of black holes is to act as a gravitational sink, pulling in and trapping matter and light within their strong gravitational field.

2. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed from the collapse of massive stars. When a star runs out of fuel, it can no longer support its own mass, causing it to collapse and form a black hole.

3. Do black holes serve any important function in the universe?

While black holes may not serve a direct purpose for human life, they play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies. Their gravitational pull can influence the movement of stars and other celestial bodies, shaping the structure of the universe.

4. Can anything escape a black hole?

Once something enters a black hole, it cannot escape its strong gravitational pull. This includes matter, light, and even time. However, some theoretical models suggest that small particles may be able to escape through a process called Hawking radiation.

5. Are black holes a threat to Earth?

There are no known black holes near enough to Earth to pose a threat. However, if a black hole were to pass through our solar system, it could potentially disrupt the orbits of planets and cause catastrophic effects.