What is the purpose of a dual adjustable DC power supply and how does it work?

In summary, DC power supplies have 3 terminals: plus, ground, and minus. The ground is used as a voltage reference and is typically connected to Earth ground. The voltage between the + and - terminals is equal to the set voltage (e.g. 30V) while the voltage between the + and ground or - and ground terminals is half of the set voltage (e.g. 15V). This is useful for connecting multiple pieces of equipment with the same ground potential. If a circuit is battery powered, there may be no need to use the ground terminal. Dual adjustable DC power supplies have a common terminal which is not necessarily Earth ground and is used for dual tracking and biasing operational amplifiers.
fisico30
hello ,

DC (I guess AC too) power supplies have 3 terminals: plus, ground, minus.
If I set the voltage to 30 Volts, and plug one cable in the + terminal and the other in the - terminal, is the voltage across the wires 30 volts or 60 volts? When do we use the ground or the negative?

I tried with one powersupply and it gave me 60...

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The ground is provided for a voltage reference -- it's the same as the Earth ground in the wall socket the power supply is plugged into. This is useful when you need to connect several pieces of equipment together and want them to share the same ground potential.

A typical application is to connect the - and ground terminals together, forcing the negative terminal to ground. The + terminal is then at 30V with respect to Earth ground.

Alternatively, you could connect the + and ground terminals together, and the - terminal would be at -30V with respect to Earth ground.

If you don't care at all what absolute voltages exist in your circuit with respect to ground (say, your circuit is battery powered), there may be no reason to use the ground terminal at all.

- Warren

Thank you Warren. You are very clear.
Let me make sure I get it however:

Case 1: if the power supply is set to 10V and I connected to a resistor (2 ohms) using the + and the - terminals, the voltage across the resistor should be 10V.

Case 2: if I used the + and the GRD, then the voltage on the resistor is still 10V.

Case 3: if I connect the - and the GRD together and use it as a single terminal, then the voltage across the resistor is 10V of course..Case4: IF I had 2 resistors: one resistor connected to + and - and the other to - and GRD, the voltage across the two resistors ( between the + and -), would be 20V

Do i get it or am i still confused?
thanks!

fisico30 said:
hello ,

DC (I guess AC too) power supplies have 3 terminals: plus, ground, minus.
If I set the voltage to 30 Volts, and plug one cable in the + terminal and the other in the - terminal, is the voltage across the wires 30 volts or 60 volts? When do we use the ground or the negative?

I tried with one powersupply and it gave me 60...

thanks!

You're lookin at a lab supply. Did you find an old Lambda? The guys in the
Engineering|Electronics section would have told you. It's a dual adjustable DC power supply. The center tap you're calling ground is common. It's not necessarily Earth ground. The leg measured from (+) to common gives you the voltage read on the built-in meter if there is one. If it's a dual tracking supply, if you short one side, say, the other side will follow.

The idea behind such supplies is to give you the positive and negative voltages useful for biasing operational amplifiers and other stuff like them.

Last edited:

Related to What is the purpose of a dual adjustable DC power supply and how does it work?

1. What is a DC power supply terminal?

A DC power supply terminal is a connection point on a DC power supply where the electrical current is delivered to and from an electrical device. It is usually labeled with a positive (+) and negative (-) symbol to indicate the polarity of the supply.

2. How do I connect a device to a DC power supply terminal?

You can connect a device to a DC power supply terminal by using a suitable connector or by directly wiring the device to the terminal. Make sure to match the polarity of the device to the correct polarity on the terminal, as reversing the polarity can damage the device.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC power supply terminals?

The main difference between AC and DC power supply terminals is the type of current they deliver. AC (alternating current) power supply terminals deliver current that constantly changes direction, while DC (direct current) power supply terminals deliver current that only flows in one direction.

4. What is the purpose of a ground terminal on a DC power supply?

The ground terminal on a DC power supply serves as a safety feature to prevent electric shocks. It is connected to the ground or earth, which acts as a reference point for the electrical current. This helps to stabilize the voltage and prevent damage to the device.

5. Can I use a DC power supply with multiple devices connected to the same terminal?

It is not recommended to connect multiple devices to the same DC power supply terminal, as this can cause an overload and damage to the power supply. Each device should have its own individual connection to the power supply terminal to ensure proper and safe operation.