What is the purpose and design of wire mesh on radar antennas?

In summary, the individual asks about the ability to determine the frequency ranges of a radar antenna based on its size and shape. They also inquire about the possibility of a radar detecting friendly or foe based on physical parameters. The conversation then delves into the complexity of identifying targets using radar return signals and the use of IFF transponders. The individual then asks about reverse engineering radar antennas and what information can be obtained from their design. The responder provides information on the design and functionality of different types of radar antennas, including wire mesh and dipole arrays.
johnsmi
Hi, I havn't posted for quite some time yet I have been reading through from time to time.

I would like to ask about Radars. I wish to be able to look at a radar antena and be able to say as possible. Such as frequency ranges from the antenna size etc...
Does the size of the 'Ball' in which it is in tell me anything?

Thank you,

P.S.
Can a radar detect friendly or foe according to some physical parameters?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you know the size and shape of the antenna you can guess at what frequency ranges the radar might operate. Of course if you knew enough about antennas to do this I doubt you would have asked this question.

Not sure what "ball" you are talking about. I guess you might mean the radome. You can't really tell anything from it.

"Can a radar detect friendly or foe according to some physical parameters?"

Sure, the easiest way is to keep track of the signatures of different objects for that particular object and check received patterns versus those signatures. There are other more advanced methods also.

Ah yes, and I suspect that if Floid knows about the size of the antenna (expressed in wavelengths of course) he should also tell you that the "fingerprint" of a radar return from an object is quite complex and being able to "recognize" the target from the return (sometimes called non-cooperative target recognition), is more than just a little bit sporty! :-) On the other hand, a long time ago I learned to recognize aircraft, at least by type, fairly accurately using the headphones on a HAWK illumination radar! LOL!

All of our military planes are equiped with a IFF transponder. Our Radar systems have a IFF Transmitter/Reciver. When the planes IFF receives a signal from a IFF transmitter, it sends a coded reply signal. If the radars IFF reciever gets the correct signal back it flags that plane as friendly, if not then it is NOT friendly. (IFF = Identification Friend or Foe.)

Civilian aircraft have a similar transponder system, so air traffic control radars can indentify individual planes. In that case the ATC tells the flight crew by radio what ID number to use, since the numbers are only 4 digits long and obviously there are more than 9999 planes in the world!

This system also has emergency ID numbers meaning "the plane has been hijacked", etc.

My question was less about IFF and more about reverse engineering.
I would like to be able to look at an antenna and understand for example that if the antenna is a wire antenna then it is meant to be used for... as opposed to ring antennas, dish antennas or horn antennas.
And what can I tell from the location angle and size of the dish?
If the dish is simillar to a net what can I tell from the net resolution?
And why do some radar antennas (Navy normally) have a non circular dish with wires going only in one direction? (I guess it is because the sea is a polarier)
Here are a few examples:
30dbParabolicGrid_2.4GHz.jpg

Cassegrain_antenna.jpg

VHF-YAGI-TV-Antenna-13E-512-.jpg

And so on

For the first two parabolic antennas:

Wire mesh is used instead of solid material to save weight/cost. As long as the spacing of the wire is less than about 1/10th of the wavelength the antenna is designed to handle then there isn't much difference functionally between the wire mesh design and a solid design.

For the last antenna what you really have is an array of dipole antennas. The most common configuration is a log-periodic antenna where each dipole's size varies so that one antenna array can efficiently handle a range of frequencies. In the picture you included it looks like each dipole is of the same size so not sure what the exact purpose is unless it used for some kind of phase detection (receiving) or increased output stength (transmitting assuming you can get the phases right).

Related to What is the purpose and design of wire mesh on radar antennas?

1. What is radar reverse engineering?

Radar reverse engineering is the process of studying and analyzing a radar system in order to understand its functionality, design, and components. This is often done in order to replicate or improve upon the system.

2. Why is radar reverse engineering important?

Radar reverse engineering allows scientists to gain a better understanding of how radar systems work and how they can be improved. It also helps in identifying potential vulnerabilities or weaknesses in the system.

3. How is radar reverse engineering done?

Radar reverse engineering involves a combination of techniques such as analyzing the radar system's hardware, software, and signals. This can be done through physical disassembly, software decompilation, and signal analysis.

4. What are the ethical considerations of radar reverse engineering?

Radar reverse engineering raises ethical concerns as it may involve intellectual property infringement or violating trade secrets. It is important for scientists to follow ethical guidelines and obtain proper authorization before conducting any reverse engineering activities.

5. What are the potential applications of radar reverse engineering?

Radar reverse engineering can have various applications such as improving radar technology, identifying vulnerabilities in military or security systems, and understanding the capabilities of other countries' radar systems.