What is the proof for the sum formula for sines?

In summary: I don't need unit circle proof or proof using trigonometric equality. I know those. I am attaching a image. Please read it. It is from the book Plane Trigonometry by S L Loney. See what it says.In summary, the conversation is about a trigonometric proof regarding the relationships between angles and sides in a right triangle. The speaker is referencing a diagram and discussing the calculations for angles and sides in the triangle. They are also seeking clarification on how to calculate the sine of angles in different quadrants using a geometric approach.
jayanthd
I don't need unit circle proof or proof using trignometric equality. I know those. I am attaching a image. Please read it. It is from the book Plane Trigonometry by S L Loney. See what it says.
I know that angle MOP = angle M'P'O and both triangles formed are congruent, OM' = MP and M'P" = OM and OP' = OP.

Angle P'OM' + angle MOP = 90.
If angle MOP is theta then angle M'P'O is also theta.
Angle OPM = angle P'OM' = 90 - theta because 3 angles of triangle = 180. ( 90 + theta + (90 - theta))

What I don't understand is how is andle MOP = 90 - angle P'OM' and how it is = to angle OP'M'. ( as OP'M' = theta)

http://www.edaboard.com/attachments/92503d1371565911-trigproof.png

The point A in the diagram is wrong. That is my mistake. Point A is to the left of M on x-axis.

There is no error. angle MOP or AOP is theta. AOP' and MOP' are both same. Point A is just to the right of M and A' to the left of M'. My question is how did he calculate
sin(90 + theta) = sin(AOP') = M'P'/OP' = OM/OP. This is giving a problem. M'P'/OP' is cos(theta) in second quardrant.
If we take angle MOP as theta and angle P'OM' as (90 - theta) as sum of the angles should be 90. then angle P'OM' is 90 - theta.
Again if we consider just the triangle in 2nd quadrant then the angle M'P'O is theta and angle P'M'O is 90 and hence the other angle of the triangle is (90 - theta).

M'P'/OP' is sin(90 - theta) of triangle in 2nd quadrant or cos(theta) of triangle in first quadrant.

Then how does he say that M'P'/OP' is sin(90 + theta)?

So many people refer the book by S L Loney. I am attaching a new image.

http://www.edaboard.com/attachments/92532d1371636717-trigproof2.png

Physics news on Phys.org
jayanthd said:
I don't need unit circle proof or proof using trignometric equality. I know those. I am attaching a image. Please read it. It is from the book Plane Trigonometry by S L Loney. See what it says.
I know that angle MOP = angle M'P'O and both triangles formed are congruent, OM' = MP and M'P" = OM and OP' = OP.

Angle P'OM' + angle MOP = 90.
If angle MOP is theta then angle M'P'O is also theta.
Angle OPM = angle P'OM' = 90 - theta because 3 angles of triangle = 180. ( 90 + theta + (90 - theta))

What I don't understand is how is andle MOP = 90 - angle P'OM' and how it is = to angle OP'M'. ( as OP'M' = theta)

http://www.edaboard.com/attachments/92503d1371565911-trigproof.png

The point A in the diagram is wrong. That is my mistake. Point A is to the left of M on x-axis.

There is no error. angle MOP or AOP is theta. AOP' and MOP' are both same. Point A is just to the right of M and A' to the left of M'. My question is how did he calculate
sin(90 + theta) = sin(AOP') = M'P'/OP' = OM/OP. This is giving a problem. M'P'/OP' is cos(theta) in second quardrant.
If we take angle MOP as theta and angle P'OM' as (90 - theta) as sum of the angles should be 90. then angle P'OM' is 90 - theta.
Again if we consider just the triangle in 2nd quadrant then the angle M'P'O is theta and angle P'M'O is 90 and hence the other angle of the triangle is (90 - theta).

M'P'/OP' is sin(90 - theta) of triangle in 2nd quadrant or cos(theta) of triangle in first quadrant.

Then how does he say that M'P'/OP' is sin(90 + theta)?

So many people refer the book by S L Loney. I am attaching a new image.

http://www.edaboard.com/attachments/92532d1371636717-trigproof2.png

Your images don't show.

@Jayanthd: You get sin(90 - θ) but the author gets sin(90 + θ)? By the CAST rule, those are the same.

verty said:
@Jayanthd: You get sin(90 - θ) but the author gets sin(90 + θ)? By the CAST rule, those are the same.

Can you explain in detail. Please explain how the author considers sin(90 - θ) as sin(90 + θ).

jayanthd said:
Can you explain in detail. Please explain how the author considers sin(90 - θ) as sin(90 + θ).

Notice that I gave a link, click on the words "the CAST rule".

verty said:
Notice that I gave a link, click on the words "the CAST rule".

I have seen that link. It doesn't tell how sin(90 - θ) becomes sin(90 + θ).

Can you please explain. This is the only thing in Trigonometry that I am not able to understand.

jayanthd said:
I have seen that link. It doesn't tell how sin(90 - θ) becomes sin(90 + θ).

Can you please explain. This is the only thing in Trigonometry that I am not able to understand.
It's easy enough to show using the identities for the sine of a sum or difference.
sin(A + B) = sin(A)cos(B) + cos(A)sin(B)
sin(A - B) = sin(A)cos(B) - cos(A)sin(B)

Mark44 said:
It's easy enough to show using the identities for the sine of a sum or difference.
sin(A + B) = sin(A)cos(B) + cos(A)sin(B)
sin(A - B) = sin(A)cos(B) - cos(A)sin(B)

I know that solution. What I need is geometrical proof using right angled triangle.

Why?

Also, assuming θ is an acute angle (0 ≤ θ < 90°), it's not possible to have a right triangle where one angle is 90° + θ.

Mark44 said:
Why?

Also, assuming θ is an acute angle (0 ≤ θ < 90°), it's not possible to have a right triangle where one angle is 90° + θ.

Because I can't memorize sin(90 + theta), sin(90 - theta), sin(180 - theta), sin(180 + theta) and other ratios. If explained geometrically then it will be easy to derive whenever needed. I know the Unit Circle approach.

jayanthd said:
Because I can't memorize sin(90 + theta), sin(90 - theta), sin(180 - theta), sin(180 + theta) and other ratios.
That's kind of a silly reason. One formula will serve for all of those:
sin(A + B) = sin(A)cos(B) + cos(A)sin(B).

You don't need a separate formula for sin(A - B). Just use the formula above with sin(A + (-B)).
jayanthd said:
If explained geometrically then it will be easy to derive whenever needed. I know the Unit Circle approach.

As already noted, it isn't possible to draw a right triangle with one angle equal to 90° + θ, where θ is an acute angle.

Mark44 said:
That's kind of a silly reason. One formula will serve for all of those:
sin(A + B) = sin(A)cos(B) + cos(A)sin(B).

You don't need a separate formula for sin(A - B). Just use the formula above with sin(A + (-B)).

As already noted, it isn't possible to draw a right triangle with one angle equal to 90° + θ, where θ is an acute angle.

I know that a right angled triangle can have angles 90, θ, and (90 - θ) but how did S L Loney proves sin(90 + θ) = cos(θ) as mentioned in the first post.

Is it that nobody here knows geometrical proof for sin(90 + θ) and sin(180 - θ)?

jayanthd said:
I know that a right angled triangle can have angles 90, θ, and (90 - θ) but how did S L Loney proves sin(90 + θ) = cos(θ) as mentioned in the first post.
It would be helpful if you posted the images that were supposed to be in your first post. I mentioned that the links were broken in my first reply.
jayanthd said:
Is it that nobody here knows geometrical proof for sin(90 + θ) and sin(180 - θ)?
What do you mean by a "geometrical proof"? You have already been told how you can prove that sin(90° + θ) = sin(90° - θ) using the sum identity. The proof is also very simple using the unit circle. Your objection to the first method seems to be only that you don't want to memorize the identity. I don't know what your objection to using the unit circle is.

Trigonometry Proofs

Mark44 said:
It would be helpful if you posted the images that were supposed to be in your first post. I mentioned that the links were broken in my first reply.

What do you mean by a "geometrical proof"? You have already been told how you can prove that sin(90° + θ) = sin(90° - θ) using the sum identity. The proof is also very simple using the unit circle. Your objection to the first method seems to be only that you don't want to memorize the identity. I don't know what your objection to using the unit circle is.

Here are the images. Consider the 2nd image for the drawing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=59917&d=1372354550.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=59918&stc=1&d=1372354604.png

Attachments

• trigproof.jpg
    trigproof.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 462
  • trigproof2.png
    trigproof2.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
The two triangles are congruent, with angle M'P'O being equal to θ. This means that
Angle MOP' = 90° + θ and angle M'OP' = 180° - (90° + θ) = 90° - θ.
These angles add to 180°, so are supplementary angles.
It follows that
sin(90° + θ) = sin (180° - (90° + θ)), because the sines of supplementary angles are equal.
So sin(90° + θ) = sin(90° - θ)
= cos(θ), because 90° - θ and θ are complementary angles (i.e., they add to 90°).

Mark44 said:
The two triangles are congruent, with angle M'P'O being equal to θ. This means that
Angle MOP' = 90° + θ and angle M'OP' = 180° - (90° + θ) = 90° - θ.
These angles add to 180°, so are supplementary angles.
It follows that
sin(90° + θ) = sin (180° - (90° + θ)), because the sines of supplementary angles are equal.
So sin(90° + θ) = sin(90° - θ)
= cos(θ), because 90° - θ and θ are complementary angles (i.e., they add to 90°).
Thank you very much. Now it is clear to me. I have similar problem with sin(180 - θ). Edit: Now another question is regarding 180 - θ.

See images. Now tell me how sin(AOP') = sin θ.

Is this right? sin(180 - θ) = sin(180 - (180 - θ)) = sin(θ) ??

Attachments

• trigproof3.jpg
    trigproof3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 394
  • trigproof4.png
    trigproof4.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 408
Last edited by a moderator:
When you insert images, adjust their sizes so that they aren't so large. 900 X 600 pixels is the maximum size.
jayanthd said:
Thank you very much. Now it is clear to me. I have similar problem with sin(180 - θ).

Edit: Now another question is regarding 180 - θ.

See images. Now tell me how sin(AOP') = sin θ.

Is this right? sin(180 - θ) = sin(180 - (180 - θ)) = sin(θ) ??
Yes. AOP (θ) and AOP' (180° - θ) are supplementary angles, so their sines are equal. This is easy to show using either the unit circle or the sum formula.

Related to What is the proof for the sum formula for sines?

1. What is the purpose of proving trigonometric identities?

The purpose of proving trigonometric identities is to demonstrate the relationship between different trigonometric functions and to show that they are equivalent to one another. This helps to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and solve problems in various fields of science and mathematics.

2. How do you approach a trigonometric proof?

To approach a trigonometric proof, you should start by identifying the identity that needs to be proven. Then, use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to transform one side of the equation into the other. It is important to keep in mind the properties of trigonometric functions, such as even and odd functions, to simplify the expressions.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities used in proofs?

Some common trigonometric identities used in proofs include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, sum and difference identities, and reciprocal and quotient identities. These identities can be used to simplify expressions and prove relationships between different trigonometric functions.

4. How do you know if a trigonometric proof is correct?

A trigonometric proof is considered correct if both sides of the equation are transformed into the same expression using valid algebraic and trigonometric operations. It is also important to check for any restrictions on the values of the variables and to make sure the proof holds true for all possible values within those restrictions.

5. Can trigonometric proofs be used in real-world applications?

Yes, trigonometric proofs are used in real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, astronomy, and navigation. They are used to solve problems involving angles and distances, as well as to model and predict the behavior of natural phenomena such as waves and vibrations.