What is the process for finding Maclaurin series?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Maclaurin series for f(x)=1/(1+x^2) and using it to find the Maclaurin series for g(x)=arctan(x). The conversation suggests two methods for finding the series and explains how to use the general formula and integration to find the series for arctan(x). It also mentions using 1/(1+x^2) as a geometric series and integrating the series term by term to find the series for arctan(x). The conversation also discusses the pattern for finding coefficients in the Maclaurin series and provides an example using sin(x).
kj13529
Im really having trouble wrapping my mind around the topic of maclaurin series, my problem requires me to find the maclaurin series of f(x) = 1/(1+x^2), then use that to find the maclaurin series of g(x)= arctan(x)...i don't even know where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you could do it either one of 2 ways: Use the definition of the Maclaurin series for a function f(x), [tex] f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + f''(0)\frac{x^2}{2!} + f'''(0) \frac{x^3}{3!}...[/tex].

Or you could divide 1 by 1+x^2 via polynomial division, and it gets the same series.

After you get that series, it wants you to realize that since that series is the same as 1/(1+x^2), the integral of the series is equal to the integral of 1/(1+x^2), which is arctan(x).

So basically I plug into the general formula, then what, how do I use that information to find the series of arctan?

you plug into that formula, then you must realize that series is equal to 1/(1+x^2). Integrate both sides, since you know the integral of 1/(1+x^2) is arctan(x), you know the series for arctan x.

A power series is a power series! If you have two power series that converge to the same function, then they must be exactly the same power series- in other words, it doesn't matter how you actually find the series.

You could also do 1/(1+ x2) as a geometric series. You know, of course, that
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty ar^n= \frac{a}{1- r}[/tex]
For this problem, you must have
[tex]\frac{a}{1- r}= \frac{1}{1+ x^2}[/tex]
so a= 1 and r= -x2: the power series is
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty (-x^2)^n= \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n x^{2n}[/tex]

As Gib Z said, since
[tex]arctan(x)= \int \frac{1}{1+ x^2} dx[/itex]
You can integrate the series term by term to get the series for arctan(x).

I'm working on the same problem, and the trouble I'm having is that when you take the first, second, third etc. derivatives of 1/(1+x^2) I'm not seeing a clear pattern in the derivatives. The only problems I've seen with the Maclaurin series are problems with some function such as sin(x) that will repeat after a few derivations. So this ones giving me lots of trouble It could be that I'm deriving it wrong, but I don't think so. Can you guys help me figure out the pattern?

Maclaurin series is simple. Let's see have an example, f(x)=sin(x). Then suppose I can write the function as sin (x)=a+bx+cx^{2}+dx^{3}+...
Our task is to compute a,b,c,d,... To find a, set x=0 to find a=sin(0)=0.
To find b, differentiate w.r.t x to find cos(x)=b+2cx+3dx^{2}. To find b, set x=0 to see that:
b=cos(0)=1. So the series is sin(x)=x+cx^{2}+dx^{3}+...
To find c, differentiate twice to find:
-sin(x)=2c+6dx+...
Set x=0 to see that c=0.
Again apply the same methodology to find d. sin(x)=x+dx^{3}+...
Differentiate three times to get -cos(x)=6d+...
set x=0 to find d=-1/6=-1/3!
Then sin(x)=x-x^{3}/3!+...
That is the idea of Maclaurin's series.

Related to What is the process for finding Maclaurin series?

1. What is a Maclaurin Series and how is it used in mathematics?

A Maclaurin Series is a type of infinite series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is used in mathematics to approximate the value of a function at a specific point by using a polynomial function with an infinite number of terms.

2. How is a Maclaurin Series different from a Taylor Series?

A Maclaurin Series is a special case of a Taylor Series, where the series is centered around x = 0. In other words, a Maclaurin Series is a Taylor Series with a = 0. This means that the coefficients of the terms in a Maclaurin Series can be found using derivatives of the function evaluated at x = 0.

3. What are some applications of Maclaurin Series in real-world problems?

Maclaurin Series can be used to approximate the values of complicated functions, making it useful in many real-world problems. For example, it can be used in physics to model the motion of objects, in engineering to design and analyze structures, and in economics to forecast trends and make predictions.

4. How do I find the Maclaurin Series of a given function?

To find the Maclaurin Series of a given function, you can use the formula for the general term of a Maclaurin Series, which involves taking derivatives of the function evaluated at x = 0. Alternatively, you can use known Maclaurin Series for common functions and manipulate them to fit the given function.

5. Are there any limitations to using Maclaurin Series to approximate functions?

Yes, there are limitations to using Maclaurin Series. It is only accurate for a specific interval around x = 0, and the series may not converge for all values of x within that interval. Additionally, Maclaurin Series can only approximate functions that can be represented as a power series, so it may not work for more complex functions.