What Is the Probability of Finding a Quantum Particle in a Section of a 1D Box?

In summary, the problem involves finding the probability of locating a quantum particle in a 1d potential well of length L and second excited state n=3, between 0 and L/3. Using the equation ∫ψ^2=1 and the given wave function ψ=sqrt(2/L)sin(n∏x/L), the limits of integration are changed to 0 to ∏, resulting in a probability of 1/3. The reason for using these limits is due to the definition of L as the length of the potential well. Similar limits would be used for other excited states, such as 0 to n∏/3 for the ground state.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

A quantum particle is free to move in a infinite 1d potential well of length L excited on the second excited state n=3.What is the probability to locate the particle between 0 and L/3.

Homework Equations

∫ψ^2=1
ψ=sqrt(2/L)sin(n∏x/L)

The Attempt at a Solution

∫ψ^2dx=∫(2/L)sin^2(3∏x/L) dx limits of integration from 0 to L/3. then I set y = 3∏x/L then dx = Ldy/3∏. So that gives (2/3∏)∫(1/2)-(1/2)cos(2y) dy then the limits change to 0 to ∏
which gives (2/3∏)((y/2)-(1/4)sin(2y)) now use the limits 0 to pi which gives a probability of 1/3. What I don't understand is why use 0 to pi why not ∏/3 confused there . what I assume is that it has to do with the excited state the particle is in. So for instance if it was n=1 it would be 0 to ∏/3 am I correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
NVM I was dumb I figured it out it has to do with the length being defined as L it helps to read that being said I need help with a conceptual problem.

Uggg ok neverming maybe my point wass valid I just did a problem that was similar but in the ground state and it used limits from 0 to npi/3 help again.

Related to What Is the Probability of Finding a Quantum Particle in a Section of a 1D Box?

1. What is a quantum particle in a 1d box?

A quantum particle in a 1d box refers to a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional space, such as a particle trapped inside a box with impenetrable walls.

2. What is the significance of studying a quantum particle in a 1d box?

Studying a quantum particle in a 1d box allows us to better understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and how particles behave in confined spaces. It also has practical applications in fields such as nanotechnology and materials science.

3. How does the energy of a quantum particle in a 1d box differ from a classical particle?

In a classical system, the energy of a particle is continuous and can take on any value. However, in a quantum system, the energy levels are discrete and can only take on specific values determined by the size of the box and the properties of the particle.

4. Can the position of a quantum particle in a 1d box be precisely determined?

No, according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, it is impossible to precisely determine the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Therefore, the position of a quantum particle in a 1d box can only be described in terms of a probability distribution.

5. How does the size of the box affect the energy levels of a quantum particle?

The size of the box has a direct impact on the energy levels of a quantum particle. As the size of the box decreases, the energy levels become more closely spaced, resulting in a larger energy gap between levels. This is known as the confinement effect.