What is the pressure needed to sedate a dog in 1 second?

• Thread starter Derek1997
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, Jane needs to apply pressure to the plunger to achieve a flow rate of 3ml/s. The pressure is not absolute, but is relative to atmospheric pressure. If the barrel of the syringe is 10mm in diameter, Jane needs to apply a force of 2.38x10^10 Pa to achieve the needed flow rate.
Derek1997

Homework Statement

Jane, a vet, is trying to sedate a dog by injecting him with sedative in a hypodermic syringe that
has a needle 20mm long with internal diameter 0.4 mm. The vet wishes to inject the dog with
3 ml of anaesthetic that has viscosity 4 x10^-3 Pas. Since the dog is struggling hard, she needs
to get it into his bloodstream within 1 second.
(a) How much pressure needs to be applied to the fluid in the syringe barrel to achieve this
rate of flow through the needle?
(b) Explain why this is pressure is not absolute, but is relative to atmospheric pressure.
(c) If the barrel of the syringe is 10mm in diameter, what force does Jane need to apply to the
plunger to achieve the needed flow rate

Homework Equations

Poiseullie or Bernouli

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi there, I'm stuck at this question. I don't know if I should use pensoulli's equation or bernoulis! Well the question did ask how much pressure, but idk how to tackle this question :( I'm seeking advise please[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for flow rate? Or, energy conservation? Which equation applies?

Flow rate I think. But again it asked for pressure also so i don't know where to start with.

Derek1997 said:
Flow rate
Which equation depends on ΔP?

Bystander said:
Which equation depends on ΔP?
heres what I think, so Q is flow rate right? can we do 3ml/1= 3ml/s? then sub the value inside the it into the poiseulles equation?

Yup.

Bystander said:
Yup.
is it actually?

It is; you'll have to convert/invert between CGS & MKS units (ml, Pa⋅s, mm, and so on).

alright, so here's what I've done=
delta p= 8*u*L.Q/pi*r^4
where I got my Q as 3m/s
I converted my Length into 0.02m
R= 0.0004m
Then i subbed the value inside equation as = 8.4x10^-3pa x 0.02m x 3m/s / pi x 0.0004^4= 2.38x10^10pa which looks weird!

Derek1997 said:
internal diameter 0.4 mm
Derek1997 said:
Q as 3m/s
That looks high to me; can you double check it?

I did but still yeilds me the same, although I'm not sure about one thing.. for r i used "internal diamater 0.4mm" which i converted to meters?

Derek1997 said:
R= 0.0004m
Derek1997 said:
diamater 0.4mm"
Does radius equal diameter?
Derek1997 said:
viscosity 4 x10^-3 Pas
Not 8.4 ... :H
Derek1997 said:
3 ml
One milliliter is 10-6 m3.

Bystander said:
Does radius equal diameter?

Not 8.4 ... :H
One milliliter is 10-6 m3.
haha I didn't do 8.4 it was type mistake, also in regard to radius, we are not given how am I suppose to find it?

Half the diameter?

Likes Derek1997
Thanks mate, I gave you a life :) p.s if u had time check out my other question as well. Thanks

Derek1997 said:
Thanks mate, I gave you a life :) p.s if u had time check out my other question as well. Thanks
like* haha

All nighter?

Nein, I am finished with my chem so I am about to sleep haha

Related to What is the pressure needed to sedate a dog in 1 second?

What is pressure?

Pressure is the force applied per unit area. It is a measure of how much force is acting on a given area.

What are the units of pressure?

The SI unit for pressure is pascal (Pa), which is equivalent to one newton per square meter (N/m^2). Other common units include atmospheres (atm), pounds per square inch (psi), and bar (bar).

How do you calculate pressure?

Pressure can be calculated by dividing the force applied by the area over which the force is applied. The formula is: Pressure (P) = Force (F) / Area (A). This can also be written as P = F/A.

What instruments are used to measure pressure?

Common instruments used to measure pressure include manometers, barometers, and pressure gauges. These instruments typically use either a liquid or a gas to measure the force applied to a certain area.

How does pressure change with depth?

In a fluid (such as water), pressure increases with depth due to the weight of the fluid above. This relationship is described by Pascal's Law, which states that pressure in a fluid at rest is transmitted equally in all directions.