What is the pressure exerted by an electron gas in white dwarf stars?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with an exercise involving white dwarf stars and the evaluation of pressure exerted by an electron gas inside these stars. The conversation includes attempts at finding a solution and calculations for the density of states and Fermi energy, but ultimately results in the correct solution of P=(ħ c(3π2)1/3(N/V)4/3)/4. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the highly relativistic case and adjusting equations accordingly. The final solution is found to be P=5.7713*10^24 Pa.
BRN
Hi guys! I have a problem with this exercise:

1. Homework Statement

The stars called white dwarfs may have inside them a density in order of 1011 kg m-3. For semplicity, we assume:
  • these stars are made with non interacting protons and electrons at the same quantity and with uniform density;
  • Inside, the electrons are relatevistic with energy ε=c|p|=cħ|k|;
  • Temperature is nothing.
In these hypotheses is evaluated the pressure exerted by this electron gas.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm at T=0, but electrons are relatevistic, so P=-∂U/∂V.

Internal energy is:

U=∫0εFg(ε)ε dε

where:

states density g(ε)=(2me3/2V√ε)/(√2π2ħ3)

ε=ħck ; k2=p22=me2v22=2εme2 ⇒ k=√(2εme2)

Then:

U=∫0εF (2me3/2V√ε)/(√2π2ħ3) √(2εme2) ħc dε =

= (me3/2V c εF3/2 √(εFme))/(π2ħ2)

So:

P=-∂U/∂V=-(me3/2 c εF3/2 √(εFme))/(π2ħ2)

Fermi energy is:

εF2/(2me)(3π2N/V)2/3

Then:

P=-3/4ħ2c(3π2)1/3(N/V)4/3

This solution is wrong. The correct solution is:

P=(ħ c(3π2)1/3(N/V)4/3)/4

Could someone tell me where I'm wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
BRN said:
states density g(ε)=(2me3/2V√ε)/(√2π2ħ3)
This is not the correct density of states for this problem. You will need to derive the expression for g(ε) based on the assumption that ε = c|p|.

I checked on my book and for fermions and low temperature, the density of states is:

$$ g(\epsilon)=\frac{(2m_{e})^{3/2}V2}{4\pi^{2}\hbar^{3}}\epsilon^{1/2} $$

but replacing ε with $$ \hbar c \sqrt{\frac{2m_{e}\epsilon}{\hbar^{2}}} $$ solution is wrong again...

How to calculate the relativistic density of states?

BRN said:
I checked on my book and for fermions and low temperature, the density of states is:

$$ g(\epsilon)=\frac{(2m_{e})^{3/2}V2}{4\pi^{2}\hbar^{3}}\epsilon^{1/2} $$
This is for the nonrelativistic case. You need the highly relativistic case.

How to calculate the relativistic density of states?
You can just repeat the derivation for the nonrelativistic case, but use the highly relativistic formula E = cp for the energy of an electron. Here is a link that derives the nonrelativistic case.
http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~fredty/public_html/EECS320_SP12/DOS_Derivation.pdf

The derivation for the relativistic case is the same up through equation 4b. You will need to modify the rest of the derivation.

I don't understand... :(

I start with:
$$ g(k)dk=\frac{Vk^{2}}{\pi^{2}}dk $$
and:
$$ \epsilon=c\hbar k \Rightarrow k=\frac{(\epsilon-\epsilon_{c})}{c\hbar} \Rightarrow dk=\frac{d\epsilon}{c\hbar} $$
then:
$$ g(k)dk=\frac{V(\frac{\epsilon-\epsilon_{c}}{c\hbar})^2}{\pi^2}\frac{d\epsilon}{c\hbar}\Rightarrow g(\epsilon)d\epsilon=\frac{(\epsilon-\epsilon_{c})^2}{c^3\pi^2\hbar^3}d\epsilon $$
the density of states is:
$$ \frac{(\epsilon-\epsilon_{c})^2}{c^3\pi^2\hbar^3} $$
but ## \epsilon_{c}=?? ##

Just set ##\epsilon_c## to zero. ##\epsilon_c## comes from dealing with electrons in the conduction band of a solid.

From ##\epsilon = cp = c \hbar k##, you can see that ##k = \frac{\epsilon}{c \hbar}##. So, use that rather than ##k = \frac{\epsilon - \epsilon_c}{c \hbar}##.

Your work looks good, but did you drop a factor of ##V## near the end?

Last edited:
I'm lost... :(

whith ##\epsilon_{c}=0##
$$ U=\int_{0}^{\epsilon_{F}} g(\epsilon)\epsilon d\epsilon=\int_{0}^{\epsilon_{F}} \frac{\epsilon^2}{c^3\pi^2\hbar^3} c \hbar \frac{\epsilon}{c \hbar}d\epsilon=\frac{\epsilon_{F}^4}{4c^3\pi^2\hbar^3}$$
$$ \epsilon_{F}=\frac{\hbar^2}{2m_{e}}(3 \pi^2\frac{N}{V})^{2/3} $$
then
$$ U=\frac{\hbar^5}{4c^32^4m_{e}^4}3^{8/3}\pi^{10/3}(\frac{N}{V})^{8/3} $$
$$ P=-\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}=\frac{\hbar^5}{8c^3m_{e}^4V}(3\pi^2)^{5/3}(\frac{N}{V})^{8/3} $$

a disaster...
TSny said:
but did you drop a factor of VV near the end?
in order to pass from g(k) to g(ε) i need to divide for V...

please do not hate me!

BRN said:
whith ##\epsilon_{c}=0##
$$ U=\int_{0}^{\epsilon_{F}} g(\epsilon)\epsilon d\epsilon=\int_{0}^{\epsilon_{F}} \frac{\epsilon^2}{c^3\pi^2\hbar^3} c \hbar \frac{\epsilon}{c \hbar}d\epsilon=\frac{\epsilon_{F}^4}{4c^3\pi^2\hbar^3}$$
This looks good. But I don't understand why there isn't a factor of ##V##, unless ##U## represents the total energy per unit volume. In your first post, your expression for ##U## for the nonrelativistic case does have a factor of ##V##.

$$ \epsilon_{F}=\frac{\hbar^2}{2m_{e}}(3 \pi^2\frac{N}{V})^{2/3} $$
This is the Fermi energy for the nonrelativistic case. You will need to derive it for the extreme relativistic case. Hint: What does ##\int_0 ^ {\epsilon_F}g(\epsilon) d\epsilon ## represent?

in order to pass from g(k) to g(ε) i need to divide for V...
Why is that?

please do not hate me!
Of course not. Hang in there. :woot:

Likes BRN
Ok, here we go!
I took possession of my mental faculties.:smile:

The number of k states within in spherical shell is:
$$ g(k)dk=\frac{Vk^{2}}{\pi^{2}}dk $$
so
$$ \epsilon=c\hbar k \Rightarrow k=\frac{\epsilon}{c\hbar} \Rightarrow dk=\frac{d\epsilon}{c\hbar} $$
Now, the relativistic density of the states come from:
$$ g(k)dk=\frac{V(\frac{\epsilon}{\hbar c})^2}{\pi^2}\frac{d\epsilon}{\hbar c}=\frac{V\epsilon^2}{\pi^2\hbar^3 c^3}d\epsilon $$
With the number of particles within the sphere of radius ## \epsilon_{F} ##, is possible to calculate the Fermi energy:
$$ N=\int_{0}^{\epsilon_{F}} g(\epsilon) \epsilon d\epsilon=\int_{0}^{\epsilon_{F}}\frac{V\epsilon^2}{\pi^2\hbar^3 c^3}d\epsilon=\frac{V\epsilon_{F}^3}{3\pi^2\hbar^3 c^3}\Rightarrow\epsilon_{F}=\hbar c\sqrt[3]{\frac{3N\pi^2}{V}} $$
Then, the internal energy is:
$$ U=\int_{0}^{\epsilon_{F}} g(\epsilon) \epsilon d\epsilon=\int_{0}^{\epsilon_{F}}\frac{V\epsilon^2}{\pi^2\hbar^3 c^3}\hbar c \frac{\epsilon}{\hbar c}d\epsilon=\frac{V\epsilon_{F}^4}{4\pi^2\hbar^3 c^3}=\hbar c\frac{(3N)^{4/3}\pi^{2/3}}{4V^{1/3}} $$
In the end, the pressure is
$$ P=-\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}=\frac{\hbar c}{4}(3\pi^2)^{1/3}(\frac{N}{V})^{4/3} $$
The star is made of by protons and electrons in same quantity, that is made of by idrogen. Then:
$$ \frac{N}{V}=N\frac{\rho N_{A}}{A10^{-3}}=6.0221*10^{37}[m^{-3}]\Rightarrow P=5.7713*10^{24}[Pa] $$

It was not difficult this exercise!
I have to stop studying at night...:frown:

Tanks very much, your help was crucial!:wink:

OK. Good work!

Related to What is the pressure exerted by an electron gas in white dwarf stars?

What is electron gas pressure?

Electron gas pressure is the force per unit area exerted by a gas of free electrons on its container. It is a result of the random motion and collisions of the electrons within the gas, and it can be affected by factors such as temperature and density.

How is electron gas pressure measured?

Electron gas pressure can be measured using various techniques, such as optical pressure sensors or piezoelectric sensors. These methods involve measuring the force exerted by the gas on a surface, and using this to calculate the pressure.

What factors affect the pressure of an electron gas?

The pressure of an electron gas can be affected by several factors, including temperature, density, and the presence of external magnetic or electric fields. Changes in these parameters can result in variations in the force and collisions between the electrons, leading to changes in pressure.

What are some practical applications of electron gas pressure?

Electron gas pressure has many practical applications in fields such as plasma physics, astrophysics, and materials science. It is also important in the functioning of electronic devices, such as transistors and diodes, which utilize the pressure of electron gas to control the flow of current.

How does electron gas pressure relate to other types of pressure?

Electron gas pressure is a type of gas pressure, which is the force per unit area exerted by a gas on its container. However, it differs from other types of gas pressure, such as air pressure, in that it is caused by the movement of free electrons rather than molecules. Additionally, electron gas pressure is typically much lower than other types of pressure due to the small size and low mass of electrons.