What is the polar form of 1/z and why does the sign of the argument change?

In summary, the sign changes from + to - in the answer for the second question because the argument of a-bi and the argument of a+bi are negatives of each other.
cmcc3119
Hi There.

I was given this question and the answer:

Find the polar forms of [tex]1/z[/tex] where z = [tex]\sqrt{}3[/tex] + i

and [tex]1/z[/tex] where z = 4[tex]\sqrt{}3[/tex] -4i

Answers respectively are:

[tex]1/2[/tex] cis([tex]-\pi/6[/tex])

[tex]1/8[/tex] cis([tex]\pi/6[/tex])

Can someone please explain to me why it is that the sign of the argument changes in the answer from + to -, for the first question, and - to +, for the second question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the argument of a+bi and the argument of a-bi are negatives of each other? Why? Of course they don't have to be. You could equally well have written the first one as (1/2)*cis(11*pi/6). Why?

Last edited:
I understand that that is how the question is written and the sign indicates the point position in the plane. Sorry I worded the question wrong.

Basically, z = [tex]\sqrt{}3[/tex] + i

Polar form of this is: 2( cis [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 )

then working out 1/z the answer is 1/2 (cis -[tex]\pi[/tex]/6)

I do not know why the sign changes to make [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 negative and whether you take 1 as r, and z as t, and use the formula for division which is r/t ( cos ([tex]\pi[/tex] - [tex]\phi[/tex]) + isin ([tex]\pi[/tex] - [tex]\phi[/tex]) but when I tried that I still could not come up with a logical explanation it seemed.

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3} + i} = \frac{\sqrt{3} -i}{3+1} = \frac{1}{4} (\sqrt{3} - i) = \frac{1}{4} \left [2 \left \angle -\frac{\pi}{6} \right][/tex]

You could generalise the same thing for any [itex]\mbox{a,b} \in \Re[/itex] for any complex expression a+bi.

EDIT: To expand on this note that by De Moivre's formula:

[tex](cos \theta + isin \theta)^n = cos(n \theta) + isin(n \theta)[/tex]

Let [tex]z = r (cos \theta + isin\theta)[/tex].
[tex]z^n = r^n (cos(n \theta) + i sin(n \theta))[/tex]

Let n=-1, as in your case where we want to find the reciprocal.

[tex]\frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{r} (cos(-\theta) + isin(-\theta)) = \frac{1}{r} (cos(\theta) - isin(\theta))[/tex]

Thereby the sign changes from '+' to '-'.

Last edited:
1/cis(theta)=cis(-theta). Try and show that as an exercise. Hint: show cis(theta)*cis(-theta)=1 because sin(theta)^2+cos(theta)^2=1.

I have a problem with a question about polar form, could you help me please?

z=3(cos100degree+isin100degree)

give the polar form of 1/z.

nickbakay said:
I have a problem with a question about polar form, could you help me please?

z=3(cos100degree+isin100degree)

give the polar form of 1/z.

Posting your own thread is better than tagging onto another one, but ok. What's cis(100*degree)*cis(-100*degree)? I'm assuming you know cis(a)=cos(a)+i*sin(a).

Related to What is the polar form of 1/z and why does the sign of the argument change?

1. What is the polar form of 1/Z?

The polar form of 1/Z is represented as r(cosθ + i sinθ), where r is the magnitude of the complex number and θ is the angle between the positive real axis and the vector representing the complex number.

2. How do you convert 1/Z to polar form?

To convert 1/Z to polar form, you can use the formula r = |Z| = √(a^2 + b^2) and θ = tan^-1(b/a), where Z = a + bi and a and b represent the real and imaginary parts of the complex number.

3. Can you explain how to find the magnitude of 1/Z in polar form?

The magnitude or modulus of 1/Z in polar form is the distance from the origin to the point representing the complex number on the complex plane. This can be calculated using the formula r = √(a^2 + b^2), where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number.

4. How do you determine the angle θ in polar form for 1/Z?

The angle θ in polar form for 1/Z can be calculated using the formula θ = tan^-1(b/a), where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number. This represents the angle between the positive real axis and the vector representing the complex number on the complex plane.

5. What is the relationship between the rectangular and polar form of 1/Z?

The rectangular form of 1/Z is a + bi, while the polar form is r(cosθ + i sinθ). The relationship between these two forms can be expressed as r = |Z| = √(a^2 + b^2) and θ = tan^-1(b/a). This means that the magnitude and angle of the complex number in polar form can be used to convert it to rectangular form and vice versa.