What is the ph of .035M acetic acid ?

• Thread starter vikki99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Ph
In summary, the conversation is about solving for the pH of 0.01 NaOH and 0.035M acetic acid. The expert provides a detailed explanation of how to solve for the pH value using the dissociation constant and initial concentration of the acid. They also mention a more general case where the total concentration of acid has any value and how to solve it using successive approximations. The person seeking help expresses their gratitude and mentions their lack of support at their current school.
vikki99
can someone give me some insight to solve this
in detail :

what is the ph of .01 Naoh ?
and what is the ph of .035M acetic acid ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello,
The first question can easily be solved, since NaOH fully dissociates. But I can not say the same for acetic acid, you'll need to give the dissociation constant for it. I remember that it is [tex]1,8*10^{-5} mol^2L^{-2}[/tex], and will solve by using this value. If I'm mistaken, please replace it with the correct one.

Firstly, let's look at NaOH:

[tex]\underbrace{NaOH} \rightarrow \underbrace{Na^+} + \underbrace{OH^-}[/tex]
[tex]\overbrace{0,01-x} \rightarrow \overbrace{x} + \overbrace{x}[/tex]

Since dissociation constant for NaOH is extremely big, we never need to calculate the [tex]{0,01-x}[/tex]; it has a very very close value to 0,01. So we can easily assume that the [tex][OH^-][/tex] is 0,01, the same goes for [tex][Na^+][/tex].

As pH is the negative logarithm of [tex][H^+][/tex] or [tex]\frac{10^{-14}}{[OH^-]}[/tex], we'll use whichever is suitable. Since we know the hydroxide concentration, let's use this:

[tex]pH=-\log(\frac{10^{-14}}{0,01})=12[/tex].

For acetic acid, we'll consider the [tex]x[/tex] values as it is not dissociated 100% in water.

[tex]\underbrace{CH_3COOH} \rightarrow {CH_3COO^-}+{H^+}[/tex]
[tex]\overbrace{(0,035-x)}\rightarrow[/tex]

We are given that [tex]\frac{x^2}{(0,035-x)}=1,8*10^{-5}[/tex]. Then it's easy to find x, either by omitting it or by solving a two-unknown equation with [tex]\Delta=b^2-4ac[/tex] and [tex]x_1=\frac{-b-\sqrt{\Delta}}{2a}[/tex] and [tex]x_2=\frac{-b+\sqrt{\Delta}}{2a}[/tex]. Note that only one root gives a valid value, just omit the other.

I will not consider x, if you really wonder, you may not omit it and solve the two-unknown equation. When we omit it, we'll find that [tex]x=\sqrt{0,035*1,8*10^{-5}}=7,94*10^{-4}[/tex], hence we find the pH to be [tex]3,1[/tex].

Regards,
chem_tr

thank chem_tr I have one more question :

Solve the quadratic equation for the more general case where the total concentration of acid is:

a. ((Ao = (HA) + (A-) ) has any value Ao.
b. One can avoid solution of the quadratic equation by using a method of successive approximations, starting with x2 =AoKa.
Explain how this would be done.

thanks again for the help earlier

Hello,

I will not be as "helpful" as I did before, since it may not help you as I intended; I don't want to be harmful for your education. I decided to show you the way instead, that's better for you I think.

The total is the initial concentration of the acid. So you disregard how much of it is ionized; just give the initial concentration, and it is over. It is your task to show it mathematically.

If H+ and A- are said to be ionized as much as x, then you may easily write the equilibrium constant using C0, Ka, and x2, along with my earlier posts of course :smile:

Best wishes and have a good study,
chem_tr

THANK YOU CHEM_tr

thanks soooooooooooooooooooooooo much for your help
you are not ruining my education
I don't have a lot of support here at the school I am attending at the only tutor is a bit "special " i mean slow.
thanks again

Related to What is the ph of .035M acetic acid ?

What is the pH of .035M acetic acid?

The pH of .035M acetic acid is approximately 2.89.

How is the pH of .035M acetic acid calculated?

The pH of a solution is calculated using the equation pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. In the case of .035M acetic acid, the concentration of hydrogen ions can be determined using the dissociation constant (Ka) for acetic acid and the initial concentration of the acid.

Why is acetic acid considered a weak acid?

Acetic acid is considered a weak acid because it only partially dissociates in solution, meaning not all of the molecules break apart to form ions. This results in a lower concentration of hydrogen ions and a higher pH compared to a strong acid.

How does changing the concentration of acetic acid affect its pH?

As the concentration of acetic acid increases, the pH of the solution decreases. This is because there are more molecules of acetic acid present to produce hydrogen ions, resulting in a higher concentration of hydrogen ions and a lower pH.

What factors can influence the pH of a solution containing acetic acid?

The pH of a solution containing acetic acid can be influenced by factors such as the initial concentration of the acid, the presence of other substances that can react with acetic acid, and the temperature of the solution. These factors can affect the dissociation of acetic acid and the concentration of hydrogen ions, ultimately impacting the pH of the solution.