What is the PDF of z where z = x-y

• Thread starter nikozm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pdf
In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of the difference between two independent non-negative random variables, x and y. The standard convolution PDF can be used to express this distribution in integral form, with the integration bounds being from 0 to infinity for one of the variables and from 0 to z (the difference between x and y) for the other variable.
nikozm
Hello,

I 'm trying to express the PDF of z (z ≥ 0) where z = x-y (and let x,y ≥ 0)

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.statlect.com/sumdst1.htm

Try the above. You should Google "sum of independent random variables".

For your question you need two things, x and y independent, and let w = -y so you can use standard sum formula for x+w.

Thank you for your answer.

I 'm trying to express the distribution of x-y in integral form. I m not sure about the integration bounds though.

I presume that the standard convolution PDF can be used: let z= x-y, then:
fz(z) =∫ fx(x)*fy(z+x) dx, but with what integration lower and upper bounds ??

Assume that x,y ≥ 0.

Any help would be useful

nikozm said:
Thank you for your answer.

I 'm trying to express the distribution of x-y in integral form. I m not sure about the integration bounds though.

I presume that the standard convolution PDF can be used: let z= x-y, then:
fz(z) =∫ fx(x)*fy(z+x) dx, but with what integration lower and upper bounds ??

Assume that x,y ≥ 0.

Any help would be useful

The integral is over the whole real line. Since the random variables are assumed non-negative, the integration need only be for non-negative x.

I found a slide (page 20/36) in:
http://www.wiwi.uni-muenster.de/05/download/studium/advancedstatistics/ws1314/Chapter_4.pdf

According to the above, the integral goes:

fz(z)=∫fx(y+z)*fy(y) dy with lower integration bound zero and upper bound z

or the upper bound should be infinity ?

(note that z is also nonnegative)

Thank you in advance

I am confused about your notation. You seem to have switched x and y between the posts, so I am not sure how you are defining z.

As far as the upper limit is concerned, infinity is always correct. However because the random variables are non-negative, one of the f's may be 0 past some point, so the integral doesn't need to go any further.

Related to What is the PDF of z where z = x-y

What is the PDF of z where z = x-y?

The PDF (probability density function) of z where z = x-y is the mathematical representation of the likelihood of obtaining a certain value of z, given the values of x and y. It describes the relative frequency of different values of z and can be represented by a graph or an equation.

How is the PDF of z calculated?

The PDF of z is calculated by taking the derivative of the cumulative distribution function (CDF) of z. This derivative is also known as the probability density function and it measures the rate of change of the CDF at a specific value of z.

What is the relationship between the PDF and CDF of z?

The CDF of z is the integral of the PDF of z. In other words, the CDF represents the area under the PDF curve up to a certain value of z. The PDF and CDF are both used to describe the probability distribution of a random variable and are closely related to each other.

What factors can affect the shape of the PDF of z?

The shape of the PDF of z can be affected by various factors, such as the mean and standard deviation of the underlying distribution of x and y, the correlation between x and y, and the sample size. Changes in these factors can result in a shift, skew, or change in the overall shape of the PDF.

How is the PDF of z used in statistical analysis?

The PDF of z is used in statistical analysis to determine the likelihood of obtaining a certain value of z in a given dataset. It is also used to calculate probabilities and make predictions based on the distribution of z. Additionally, the PDF is used to compare different distributions and understand the relationship between different variables.