What is the partial derivative of z with respect to theta, with x held constant?

In summary, this conversation is about a problem in a math physics book that the author is struggling to solve. The author has recently learned about a new notation for partial derivatives and is trying to apply it to a problem from the book. The problem is that the book specifies the equation in terms of the two variables before taking the partial derivative, but the answer given in the book gives the author an r and a tangent. The author is worried that the book might be wrong and asks for help from the other people in the conversation. The other people explain that the notation is new and was introduced in a thermodynamics class recently. The author thanks the people and resolves to learn more about the notation and thermodynamics in order to solve the problem in the
Poop-Loops
Ok, so not really partials, I know how to do those. But now in my math physics class we were introduced to a new notation where it's the partial with respect to a variable, with another variable held constant. This is the problem I am trying to do in the book:

[tex](\frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta})_x[/tex]

Where [tex]z = x^2 + 2y^2 , x = r cos(\theta) , y = r sin(\theta)[/tex]

The answer in the book gives me [tex]4 r^2 tan(\theta)[/tex]

Now, am I missing something here? All the examples in the book (a whole quarter of a page... it's a crappy book...) specifically set up the equation to be in terms of the two variables (denominator and subscript) before taking the partial derivative. But this answer gives me an r? And a TANGENT!? I can't conceive of how to do this. I've been at it for a few hours.

I've tried things like transforming everything into polar first. Or only the x's. Or only the y's. Or going [tex] 2x^2 + 2y^2 - x^2[/tex] and then transforming it all. Nothing. I can't get close to a tangent.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get

[tex]2r^2\sin2\theta[/tex]

or

[tex]4r^2\sin\theta\cos\theta[/tex]

Could the book be wrong, then? Because I got your 2nd answer.

It could. But let's wait for someone knowledgeable's answer. I learned about this stuff just rencently (in a thermodynamics class) and it wasn't even formally introduced.

It will pay for you to understand this "partial with respect to a variable, with another variable held constant" thing well because in thermodynamics, if your course is anything like mine you will play with them to a point that it becomes stunning.

Poop-Loops said:
Ok, so not really partials, I know how to do those. But now in my math physics class we were introduced to a new notation where it's the partial with respect to a variable, with another variable held constant. This is the problem I am trying to do in the book:

[tex](\frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta})_x[/tex]

Where [tex]z = x^2 + 2y^2 , x = r cos(\theta) , y = r sin(\theta)[/tex]

The answer in the book gives me [tex]4 r^2 tan(\theta)[/tex]

Now, am I missing something here? All the examples in the book (a whole quarter of a page... it's a crappy book...) specifically set up the equation to be in terms of the two variables (denominator and subscript) before taking the partial derivative. But this answer gives me an r? And a TANGENT!? I can't conceive of how to do this. I've been at it for a few hours.

I've tried things like transforming everything into polar first. Or only the x's. Or only the y's. Or going [tex] 2x^2 + 2y^2 - x^2[/tex] and then transforming it all. Nothing. I can't get close to a tangent.
Does that notation mean you're keeping x or y constant?

Note that if x is a constant, say [tex]x=x_{0}[/tex], then we have:
[tex]r=\frac{x_{0}}{\cos(\theta)}[/tex]
Thus, we have:
[tex]z=x^{2}+2y^{2}=r^{2}(1+\sin^{2}(\theta))=x_{0}^{2}(\frac{1}{\cos^{2}(\theta)}+\tan^{2}(\theta))=x_{0}^{2}(2\tan^{2}(\theta)+1)[/tex]

Differentiating with respect to the angle, and reinserting r yields the result.

Last edited:
To do this properly, let us consider the bijection from polars to Cartesian coordinates:
[tex]\vec{\Phi}(r,\theta)=(X(r,\theta),Y(r,\theta))=(x,y)[/tex]
That x equals a constant can be written that there exists a function G(x,y), so that
[tex]G(x,y)=0[/tex]
Thus, we have:
[tex]H(r,\theta)\equiv{G}(\vec{\Phi(r,\theta)})=0[/tex]
By the implicit function theorem, there exists a function [itex]R(\theta)[/itex] so that:
[tex]h(\theta)=H(R(\theta),\theta)=0[/tex]
vanishes identically.
Therefore, the derivative of h vanishes also, which implies:
[tex]0=\frac{\partial{H}}{\partial{r}}\mid_{r=R}\frac{dR}{d\theta}+\frac{\partial{H}}{\partial\theta}=(\frac{\partial{G}}{\partial{x}}\frac{\partial{X}}{\partial{r}}+\frac{\partial{G}}{\partial{y}}\frac{\partial{Y}}{\partial{r}})\frac{dR}{d\theta}+\frac{\partial{H}}{\partial\theta}[/tex]
where the last term is to be expanded likewise.

Thus, we may eventually solve for [itex]\frac{dR}{d\theta}[/itex], which we will need when differentiating z with respect to the angle, holding x constant.

Last edited:
arildno said:
Note that if x is a constant, say [tex]x=x_{0}[/tex], then we have:
[tex]r=\frac{x_{0}}{\cos(\theta)}[/tex]
Thus, we have:
[tex]z=x^{2}+2y^{2}=r^{2}(1+\sin^{2}(\theta))=x_{0}^{2}(\frac{1}{\cos^{2}(\theta)}+\tan^{2}(\theta))=x_{0}^{2}(2\tan^{2}(\theta)+1)[/tex]

Differentiating with respect to the angle, and reinserting r yields the result.

Wow, I would have NEVER done something like that...

Thanks a lot, guys. Now I have something to work off of. I saw the book said "only in terms of the two variables" and then the answer had different variables than asked for, so that's why I was confused. It sucks how the rest of the problems that have answers in the back of the book are incredibly easy, but you KNOW he'll give something like this on the test.

I made a clumsy substitution in the first post.
Simpler is, with [itex]r=\frac{x_{0}}{\cos\theta}[/itex]:
[tex]z=x_{0}^{2}+2x_{0}^{2}\tan^{2}(\theta)[/tex]
by inserting directly for x and y.

Poop-Loops said:
Wow, I would have NEVER done something like that...

I think the rule of thumb for calculating

[tex](\frac{\partial f}{\partial x})_y[/tex]

would be to try to express everything in terms of x and y before differentiating.

It's little tricks like x/cos(theta) that I have trouble remembering.

It doesn't help that all of math is just a bunch of those little tricks. =/

But the good news is that there's only a finite number of those little tricks. And when you learn about them the "hard" way (i.e. not just by seeing them, but by actually trying and failing and trying and failing and finally you either discover the trick or you get to know of it by another source [in this case arildno]), you tend to remember them and before you know it, you know all the little tricks!

Related to What is the partial derivative of z with respect to theta, with x held constant?

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative used in multivariable calculus. They measure how a function changes with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. What is the notation used for partial derivatives?

The notation for a partial derivative of a function f with respect to a variable x is ∂f/∂x. This is read as "the partial derivative of f with respect to x".

3. How is a partial derivative calculated?

A partial derivative is calculated by treating all other variables as constants and taking the derivative of the function with respect to the variable in question. This can be done using the normal rules of differentiation.

4. What is the purpose of finding partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used to understand how a function changes when only one of its variables is allowed to vary. They are also useful in optimization problems, where finding the partial derivatives can help determine the maximum or minimum values of a function.

5. Can a function have more than one partial derivative?

Yes, a function with multiple variables can have multiple partial derivatives. Each partial derivative measures the change in the function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.