What is the notation for the statement for some integer n ?

In summary, the notation for the statement "for some integer n" can be represented as \exists n \in Q s.t. n \in Z, meaning there exists a rational number n such that n is an integer. This is different from the notations \forall n | n \in Z, which means for all integers n, and \{n | n \in Z \}, which represents the set of all integers. The symbol for "such that" is generally represented as s.t. and can be used in place of the vertical bar.
Nothing000
What is the notation for the statement "for some integer n"?

What is the notation for the statement "for some integer n"?
Is it [tex] \forall n | n \in Z [/tex]
Or is it [tex] \{n | n \in Z \} [/tex]

Or is it something else?

[tex]|[/tex] does mean "such that", doesn't it?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The first notation you show means for all integers n. The second is the set of all integers. What you're looking for, I think, is notation that indicates there exists at least one n that the statement is true for. I don't know how to make the symbol in latex, but it looks like a backwards capital E. Pretending my E is actually backwards for the purposes of this:

Example:

E n s.t.[tex]\sqrt{9} = n[/tex]

could be read as there exists n such that the square root of 9 equals n. Alternatively, you could say the square root of 9 equals n for some n

Last edited:
What is the symbol for "such that"?

Tell me if I am interpreting my first two notations correctly.
I would read [tex] \forall n | n \in Z [/tex] as "for all n such that n is an element of the set of integers".

And I would read [tex] \{n | n \in Z \} [/tex] as "the set of n such that n is an element of the set of integers".

First, I found how to do the symbol:

[tex]\exists n \in Q s.t. n \in Z[/tex]

reads there exists n a rational such that n is an integer (a trivial statement, I admit :) ).

generally, the vertical bar is only used in your second example, for your first example it would be better to put s.t. (for such that).

Office_Shredder said:
[tex]\exists n \in Q s.t. n \in Z[/tex]

reads there exists n a rational such that n is an integer

What do you mean "there exists n a rational"?

Off the topic, but do you know what the RMS voltage is of a triangle wave?

Last edited:
Nothing000 said:
What do you mean "there exists n a rational"?
Better grammar: there exist a rationa number n such that n is an integer.

HallsofIvy said:
Better grammar: there exist a rationa number n such that n is an integer.

That makes more sense. Thanks.

Related to What is the notation for the statement for some integer n ?

1. What is the notation for the statement "for some integer n"?

The notation for this statement is ∃n, where ∃ is the symbol for "there exists" and n represents the integer.

2. How is the statement "for some integer n" written in mathematical notation?

The statement can be written as ∃n, where ∃ is a symbol from predicate logic and n represents the integer variable.

3. What does the notation ∃n mean in a mathematical statement?

The notation ∃n means "there exists an integer n" and is used to indicate that there is at least one value of n that satisfies the given statement.

4. Can you provide an example of a statement using the notation ∃n?

One example could be "∃n, n > 0", which would read as "there exists an integer n that is greater than 0".

5. How is the notation ∃n used in mathematical proofs?

In mathematical proofs, the notation ∃n is used to introduce an unknown value (in this case, n) and then show that the statement is true for at least one value of n. This helps to prove that the statement is true for all possible values of n.