What is the next step for part iii in Taylor Series Extrapolation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of second order accuracy and solving for the values of a and b in a set of equations to achieve this level of accuracy. The equations involve taking the derivative of a function and setting it equal to a linear combination of the function itself and its derivative. The conversation also shows an alternative approach to finding the values of a and b.
ajd-brown
Hi could anyone give me pointer as to where to go with part iii please?

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 481
  • Solution so far.jpg
    Solution so far.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 484
Mathematics news on Phys.org
second order accurate means
$$\begin{cases}
A|_{h=0}=B|_{h=0}
\\
\left. \dfrac{dA}{dh}\right|_{h=0}=\left. \dfrac{dB}{dh}\right|_{h=0}
\end{cases}$$
so require
$$\begin{cases}
\mathrm{f}(x+2h)|_{h=0}=a \, \mathrm{f}(x+h)+b \, \mathrm{f}(x)|_{h=0}
\\
\left. \dfrac{d}{dh}\mathrm{f}(x+2h)\right|_{h=0}=\left. \dfrac{d}{dh}(a \, \mathrm{f}(x+h)+b \, \mathrm{f}(x))\right|_{h=0}
\end{cases}$$
then solve for a and b

Likes 1 person
Hi, I don't really understand the notation you have used there with the lines, but does that basically mean that the equation holds true when differentiated once and in its original form?

so just to check my understanding, if it was supposed to be 3rd order accurate, there would be a third equation which would be the second differential of the original and this would have to be satisfied as well by the values of a and b?

The line means let the variable take a certain value
in this case let h=0 after taking the derivative

yes third order accurate would be
\begin{cases}
A|_{h=0}=B|_{h=0}
\\
\left. \dfrac{dA}{dh}\right|_{h=0}=\left. \dfrac{dB}{dh}\right|_{h=0}
\\
\left. \dfrac{d^2A}{dh^2}\right|_{h=0}=\left. \dfrac{d^2B}{dh^2}\right|_{h=0}
\end{cases}
and so on

Likes 1 person
did you find a and b?

Ok that's great thank you! I am going to attempt it now that I understand it! I'll place my answer on here afterwards, I gather you have found them then?

^I could not resist

I have found a as 1 is that correct? and using that value I get b as

b=((((hdf(x)/dx + 3/2*h^2*d2f(x)/dx))))/f(x)

Last edited:
Remember h=0 so it should not appear. Since we are second order we should not have h^2.

Here is another equivalent approach

$$\text{if}
\\
\mathrm{f}(x+2h)=\mathrm{f}(x)+2h\, \dfrac{df}{dx}(x)+\mathrm{O}(x^2)
\\
\mathrm{f}(x+h)=\mathrm{f}(x)+h\, \dfrac{df}{dx}(x)+\mathrm{O}(x^2)
\\
\mathrm{f}(x+2h)=a\, \mathrm{f}(x+h)+b\, \mathrm{f}(x)
\\
\text{then}
\\
\mathrm{f}(x)+2h\, \dfrac{df}{dx}(x)+\mathrm{O}(x^2)=a\left[\mathrm{f}(x)+h\, \dfrac{df}{dx}(x)\right]+b\, \mathrm{f}(x)+\mathrm{O}(x^2)
\\
\mathrm{f}(x)+2h\, \dfrac{df}{dx}(x)=a\left[\mathrm{f}(x)+h\, \dfrac{df}{dx}(x)\right]+b\, \mathrm{f}(x)$$
What do a and b need to be?

that makes so much more sense! as you say I included the h^2 accidentally so that must be where i went wrong, I'll try and solve it the original way again and see if I get the same answer!

From what I can see a needs to be 2 and b has to be -1

^Good job

Related to What is the next step for part iii in Taylor Series Extrapolation?

What is Taylor Series Extrapolation?

Taylor Series Extrapolation is a mathematical method used to approximate a function using a polynomial. It is based on the Taylor series, which is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms.

How is Taylor Series Extrapolation useful?

Taylor Series Extrapolation is useful in approximating the value of a function at a point, especially when the function is difficult to calculate directly. It can also be used to estimate the value of a function outside of the range of values for which it is defined.

What are the assumptions of Taylor Series Extrapolation?

The main assumption of Taylor Series Extrapolation is that the function must be differentiable at the point of interest. Additionally, the function must have a finite number of derivatives at that point.

What are the limitations of Taylor Series Extrapolation?

One limitation of Taylor Series Extrapolation is that it only provides an approximation of the function, and the accuracy of the approximation decreases as the distance from the point of interest increases. It also may not converge for certain functions or at certain points.

How can Taylor Series Extrapolation be improved?

To improve the accuracy of Taylor Series Extrapolation, one can use more terms in the series or use a different approximation method such as Padé approximants. Additionally, considering the convergence of the series and the behavior of the function near the point of interest can also improve the results.