What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #10,396
berkeman said:
FYI, "butt" has two t's. :wink:
That was not the word it felt like.

The first time it was one-sided aquaplaning at 112 mph and thank Newton's first law (and I thought of it) I survived without a crash. However, sitting in basically a sled at that speed definitely didn't feel like "butt".
And yesterday I had forgotten oil on the stove. As soon as I moved it, oxygen added to the smoldering fire beneath the coal that was once supposed to be noodles for my soup. If you roast them, they remain smaller and crispy, but one shouldn't forget the pan. And rightly the moment I wanted to deal with my fire - now in the sink - physics knowledge again kicked in and I did withstand my impetus to extinguish it with water. Again, not a "butt" situation.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #10,397
link---https://www.pinterest.com/pin/434456695272656523/
Does anyone know what this type of interior wall is called?

• #10,398
kyphysics said:
link---https://www.pinterest.com/pin/434456695272656523/
Does anyone know what this type of interior wall is called?
A design fad from the 1970's that really didn't age well.

• #10,399
I was looking up predatory publishing sites and came across this
A series of papers were removed from a geoscience section of Springer, they slipped under peer review and were later deemed to be nonsensical.
https://retractionwatch.com/2021/11...tracted 44,determining that they were rubbish.
I thought of the ChatGPT technology while reading a couple of the abstracts.
Either that or a bunch of PhD students being having fun and being mischeivous.
A full list of the papers https://retractionwatch.com/wp-cont...rabian-Journal-of-Geosciences-retractions.pdf
An example below.
Monitoring of mountain ecological environment based on Bayesian estimation and testing of motor memory function in mice

Abstract

In this paper, the Bayesian estimation method is used to estimate the coefficients of wavelet transform to reconstruct the desired signal and reduce the noise.

Using SNR and RMS error as noise reduction estimation indexes, we compare Bayesian estimation algorithm and global threshold algorithm,

which improves the shortcomings of threshold algorithm and adaptive threshold algorithm.

According to Bayesian estimation, according to the geological vulnerability characteristics of the mountain ecological environment,

the geological change and its promotion mechanism of the mountain environment are selected.

The paper analyzes the influence of LUCC remote sensing monitoring and dynamic changes, such as rainfall erosion and topography,

and the influence of individual natural management factors and analyzes the propulsion effect of nearby residential areas.

• Haha
Likes fresh_42 and berkeman
  • #10,400
Just tried to work out what a sign saying TUO YAW was supposed to be. Finally realised that it was meant to be viewed from the other side of the window it was stuck on...

Likes BillTre and berkeman
  • #10,401
Ibix said:
Just tried to work out what a sign saying TUO YAW was supposed to be. Finally realised that it was meant to be viewed from the other side of the window it was stuck on...
That just reminded me of ...

1678448718667.png

Likes Ibix
  • #10,402
DrGreg said:
That just reminded me of ...

View attachment 323429
I don't remember noticing that. The commitment of that show to deadpan weirdness never ceases to amaze me.

Coffee?

• #10,403
Fun to hear "Be Careful" right_after_ you've had an accident.

• #10,404
Ibix said:
I don't remember noticing that. The commitment of that show to deadpan weirdness never ceases to amaze me.

Coffee?
Here's some just bizarre weirdness:
https://www.beesbeesbeesbees.com/
no idea what the site's about.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
  • #10,405
OMD released a single in the UK 1979 called "Electricity" and there is a line in it.

"... nuclear and HEP"

A reference to high energy physics in a pop song! EDIT: Stranger things! Just as I posed this someone on YouTube asked me what HEP was! From a video called "Stranger things at CERN" One of those silly conspiracy sites. Anyway that's what I call spooky action at a distance!

Last edited:
  • #10,406
  • #10,408
Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 8.10.07 AM.png

• Wow
Likes collinsmark, pinball1970, dlgoff and 2 others
  • #10,409
Happy pi(e) day to all. I went with Apple today.

Likes BillTre
  • #10,410
BillTre said:
... Guess we can take it as a hint that the photo is not all white :wink:

Likes BillTre
  • #10,411
Dang. Texas just kicked my university's (Kansas University) butt. 76 to 56. :( But still gonna be the number one overall seed in the big dance (final four). :)

Last edited:
  • #10,412
dlgoff said:
Spring starts in just over two weeks, but it's 46°F here.
Now it's even colder at 44°F

• Sad
Likes pinball1970
  • #10,413
Interesting hack: Documents written in MS Word allow the recipient to see modifications made to the document. Send in a different format if you don't want them so see it.

• #10,414
Ouch! Rule of thumb for parties: Don't invite more than 25% of your guests from the Economics Department for a successful party. From the book "Rules of Thumb" .

• #10,415
WWGD said:
Interesting hack: Documents written in MS Word allow the recipient to see modifications made to the document. Send in a different format if you don't want them so see it.
I think that's dependent on how you send it, although I good be wrong. Failing to turn off Track Changes has bitten more than a few people.

• #10,416
nnnnnn
Ibix said:
I think that's dependent on how you send it, although I good be wrong. Failing to turn off Track Changes has bitten more than a few people.
If I'm required to use Word, I save first as, say .pdf, then after the last save, I revert to .docx, or similar. I think that avoids any tracking.

• #10,417
Oh no.. not a good time to fall in love

• #10,418
LCSphysicist said:
Oh no.. not a good time to fall in love
ALWAYS a good time to do that!

• #10,419
pinball1970 said:
OMD released a single in the UK 1979 called "Electricity"

Thanks, I liked that! I don't know OMD.

Here's another tune with the same name, but older

• Love
Likes pinball1970
  • #10,420
BillTre said:
So I have to wonder about the engraving, do you think it was done by a tag team of engravers? Each one gets to work for 30 seconds, and then they're burned out for the quarter?

• #10,421
dlgoff said:
Now it's even colder at 44°F
I don't think spring is ever going to get here. Now it's 35°F in the middle of the afternoon. :(

• Wow
Likes berkeman
  • #10,422
dlgoff said:
I don't think spring is ever going to get here. Now it's 35°F in the middle of the afternoon. :(
_nc_ohc=d2c1uegdvfYAX_BEK5u&_nc_ht=scontent-muc2-1.jpg

• Haha
Likes Jarvis323, pinball1970 and dlgoff
  • #10,424
dlgoff said:
At least it's not like what @berkeman has to deal with:
Weird winter for us, with more cold and more rain than usual. We needed the rain and are out of the extreme drought now thank goodness, but the extra snow in the Sierras has unfortunately resulted in some deaths. Mother nature is pretty random at times...

Likes dlgoff
  • #10,425
berkeman said:
Mother nature is pretty random at times...
Yes, but the arrival of another atmospheric river in that area was overdue according to a documentary I saw last year.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff
  • #10,426
I just got through a dreaded coffee rut vortex.

That's where I run dry of coffee beans in the house, even finishing off the emergency coffee. But then (after waking up with no coffee in the house) I'm too tired and groggy to get up and go to the store to get more coffee.

Days pass.

• Wow
Likes BillTre
  • #10,427
collinsmark said:
I just got through a dreaded coffee rut vortex.

That's where I run dry of coffee beans in the house, even finishing off the emergency coffee. But then I'm too tired and groggy to get up and go to the store to get more coffee.

Days pass.
I always keep a stash of some form of caffeine . At least a few bags of black tea, so I can boil water in the microwave and throw in a teabag.

Likes BillTre and collinsmark
  • #10,428
:eek:
That could produce a negative feedback loop to death.
How could you let this happen?
@berkeman, i.v. him some caffeine!

Likes WWGD and collinsmark
  • #10,429
BillTre said:
@berkeman, i.v. him some caffeine!
Nah, for caffeine we just use enemas. Way quicker to start... :wink:

• Haha
Likes WWGD, dlgoff, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #10,430
berkeman said:
Nah, for caffeine we just use enemas. Way quicker to start... :wink:
Wasn't there some group called public enema #1?

Likes Charles Link