What is the name of this character?

• Thread starter luitzen
  • Start date
In summary, the original poster is unsure of the name of a Latin or Greek character they encountered in a physics textbook. It appears as a fancy cursive P and is also used for the power set in mathematics. After some discussion, it is determined that the character is a Weierstrass p, created by the German mathematician Karl Weierstrass. It is not a letter in the German alphabet and it is unclear whether it is a Latin pee or Greek rho.
luitzen
I'm not really sure whether this is the correct place for this question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

I've had Latin and Greek classes in high school, but I've never seen this character before. Still, I guess it's an obscure Latin or Greek character, but I don't know it's name. I encountered it in Griffiths where it's used for the momentum of EM-waves.

[PLAIN]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9220/unknowncharacter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's just a fancy cursive P.

In mathematics, it's usually used to mean the power set.

I think the original poster means the symbol [itex]\wp[/itex].

I confess I only ever recall seeing the symbol used for the function[/url] (possibly I've seen it in some fancy cursive script).

Wikipedia has a page on it: Weierstrass p.

A symbol often used for power set is [itex]\mathcal{P}[/itex].
The fancy phi mentinoed is [itex]\varphi[/itex].

Redbelly98 said:
That's a Greek lowercase "phi". The OP's character looks quite different to me, as it doesn't have the straight-down tail at the bottom like "phi" does.

I figured they probably weren't the same, but I thought I'd try to help anyway.

Hurkyl said:
I think the original poster means the symbol [itex]\wp[/itex].

I confess I only ever recall seeing the symbol used for the function[/url] (possibly I've seen it in some fancy cursive script).

Wikipedia has a page on it: Weierstrass p.

Way to go, Hurkyl.

That's it, so that means it's a Latin P, right?

Or German?

No, German doesn't have it's own alphabet, it uses the Latin alphabet. So the question was whether it was a capital rho or pee.

It's not from the German alphabet. It's a character created by the German mathematician Karl Weierstrass.

We already established that 3 days ago. German does not have an alphabet. I was asking whether it is a Latin pee or Greek rho.

Related to What is the name of this character?

1. What is the name of this character?

The character's name is a commonly asked question in any story or media. The name is typically given by the author or creators of the character, and it serves as a way to identify and distinguish the character from others in the same story.

2. How do you determine a character's name?

The process of naming a character can vary depending on the creator's preferences. Some may choose names based on their personal experiences, while others may use names that have a specific meaning or symbolism related to the character's traits or role in the story.

3. Can a character's name change throughout the story?

In some cases, a character's name may change as the story progresses. This can happen if the character undergoes a significant transformation or if they are known by a different name in different settings or cultures. However, it is more common for a character to keep the same name throughout the story.

4. Is a character's name important to the overall story?

The importance of a character's name can vary depending on the story. In some cases, a character's name may hold significant meaning or symbolism, while in others, it may simply serve as a way to identify and differentiate the character. Ultimately, it is up to the creator to decide the significance of a character's name in their story.

5. Can a character have more than one name?

It is possible for a character to have more than one name, especially in stories with multiple cultures or settings. In these cases, a character may be known by different names to different groups of people. Additionally, a character may have a given name and a nickname that is used by their close friends or family members.