What is the momentum operator in different bases and how can it be obtained?

In summary, to determine the momentum of a system in a pure state described by a single state vector, one can use the momentum operator, -i \hbar \vec \nabla, in the position basis. In the momentum basis, the momentum operator is simply p. To obtain it in a different basis, the standard method of changing basis can be used. To find the result of acting with the momentum operator, one can insert identity operators in the p and x bases and use standard calculus tricks to obtain the action of the momentum operator in the x basis.
unchained1978
If we assume a system (pure for now) is in a state described by a single state vector, how can you determine the momentum? The momentum of a wavefunction is simply -i times the gradient, but that's for a continuous function. In the hilbert space representation of psi as a ket vector, what does the momentum operator look like?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the position basis, it still looks like [itex]-i \hbar \vec \nabla[/itex]. In the momentum basis, it's simply [itex]p[/itex]. To obtain it in some other basis, you change basis in the standard way.

The best way to find the result of acting with [itex]\hat p[/itex] is to insert identity operators like so:

[tex]\begin{align}
\hat{p} | \psi \rangle &= \int dp \; \hat{p} | p \rangle \langle p | \psi \rangle = \int dp \; p | p \rangle \langle p | \psi \rangle \\
&= \int dp \; p | p \rangle \int dx \; \langle p | x \rangle \langle x | \psi \rangle \\
&= \int dp \; | p \rangle \int dx \; p e^{-ipx} \psi(x) \\
&= \int dp \; | p \rangle \int dx \; i \frac{d}{dx} \big( e^{-ipx} \big) \psi(x) \\
&= \int dp \; | p \rangle \int dx \; e^{-ipx} \bigg( -i \frac{d}{dx} \psi(x) \bigg) \\
&= \int dx \; \int dp \; | p \rangle \langle p | x \rangle \bigg( -i \frac{d}{dx} \psi(x) \bigg) \\
&= \int dx \; | x \rangle \bigg( -i \frac{d}{dx} \psi(x) \bigg)
\end{align}[/tex]
Here I've done these steps:

1. Insert the resolution of the identity in the p basis.
2. Since we're in the p basis, the p operator can be replaced by its eigenvalue on each basis ket.
3. Insert the resolution of the identity in the x basis (since our goal is to get the p operator in the x basis).
4. Use the fact that [itex]\langle p | x \rangle = e^{-ipx}[/itex].
5. Do standard calculus tricks, integrate by parts.
6. Observe that we have an identity in the p basis we can remove.
7. Finally, we see the action of the p operator in the x basis.

Related to What is the momentum operator in different bases and how can it be obtained?

1. What is momentum in relation to a state vector?

Momentum in relation to a state vector refers to the vector quantity that represents the motion of a particle in a given system. In quantum mechanics, the state vector is a mathematical object that describes the state of the system at a particular point in time. The momentum of the state vector is a measure of how the system is changing over time.

2. How is momentum calculated for a state vector?

In quantum mechanics, momentum is calculated by taking the derivative of the state vector with respect to time. This is known as the momentum operator and is denoted by the letter "p". The momentum operator acts on the state vector to give the momentum of the system.

3. What is the significance of momentum in quantum mechanics?

Momentum is a fundamental quantity in quantum mechanics and is related to the uncertainty principle. The more precisely the momentum of a particle is known, the less precisely its position can be known, and vice versa. Momentum also plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and interactions of particles in a quantum system.

4. How does momentum affect the evolution of a state vector?

The momentum of a state vector affects the evolution of the system by determining the direction and speed of its motion. This is described by the Schrödinger equation, which shows how the state vector changes over time based on the momentum of the system. Additionally, the momentum of the state vector can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular position.

5. Can momentum be measured in quantum mechanics?

Yes, momentum can be measured in quantum mechanics using various experimental techniques such as scattering experiments, diffraction experiments, and particle accelerators. These techniques allow scientists to determine the momentum of a particle and make predictions about its behavior in a quantum system. However, the act of measurement can also cause the state vector to collapse, altering the momentum of the system.