What is the Mistake in Deriving the EM Hamiltonian?

In summary, the person is trying to derive the Hamiltonian for an E&M field, but they are having trouble because they are not understanding the Lagrangian. They get close to finding it, but make a mistake in the calculation of one of the terms. They also mention that there is a better way to do it, but they don't remember the details. Finally, they mention that when working with the (+---) metric, the canonical momentum is either (\Pi^\mu=\frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\partial^0 A_\mu} or \Pi^\mu=\frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\partial_0 A_\mu} depending
RedX
For some reason I can't derive the Hamiltonian from the Lagrangian for the E&M field. Here's what I have (using +--- metric):

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\mathcal L=\frac{-1}{4}F_{ \mu \nu}F^{ \mu \nu}

\\

\Pi^\mu=\frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\delta \dot{A_\mu}}=-F^{0 \mu}

\\

\mathcal H=\Pi^\mu \dot{A}_\mu -\mathcal L=-F^{0 \mu}\dot{A}_\mu +\frac{1}{4}F_{ \mu \nu}F^{ \mu \nu}
=-F^{0 \mu}\dot{A}_\mu+\frac{1}{4}(2F_{0i}F^{0i}+F_{ij}F^{ij})
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

But F0i=Ei, and Fij=-Bk, so this is equal to:

[tex]
\mathcal H=-F^{0 \mu}\dot{A}_\mu+\frac{1}{2}(-E_{i}^2+B_{i}^2) [/tex]

The Hamiltonian however should be one half the sum of the squares of the electric and magnetic fields. But I can't figure out what I did wrong. I almost have it, as the first term almost adds to the 2nd term to give that, but not quite.

Also, I'm not quite sure when using the (+---) metric whether the canonical momenta is:

[tex]
\Pi^\mu=\frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\partial^0 A_\mu}
[/tex]
or

[tex]
\Pi^\mu=\frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\partial_0 A_\mu}[/tex]

I don't think it matters in the derivation of the Hamiltonian, but which one do you use in the canonical commutation relations for example?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I missed a term the first time around. We can write

[tex]
-F^{0 \mu}\dot{A}_\mu = -F^{0 i}\partial_0{A}_i = - F^{0i}( F_{0i} + \partial_i A_0 ) = E_i^2 + E_i (\partial_i A_0)
[/tex]

Then

[tex]
\mathcal H=-F^{0 \mu}\dot{A}_\mu+\frac{1}{2}(-E_{i}^2+B_{i}^2) =\frac{1}{2}(E_{i}^2+B_{i}^2) + E_i (\partial_i A_0).
[/tex]

The last term can be written as

[tex] \partial_i ( A_0 E_i) - A_0 ( \partial_i E_i) .[/tex]

The total derivative will vanish in the volume integral, while the second term vanishes by Gauss' law in the absence of sources.I believe that there's a cleaner way of doing things by treating the choice of gauge as either a 1st or 2nd class constraint, but I don't remember the details.

Last edited:
RedX said:
Also, I'm not quite sure when using the (+---) metric whether the canonical momenta is:

[tex]
\Pi^\mu=\frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\partial^0 A_\mu}
[/tex]
or

[tex]
\Pi^\mu=\frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\partial_0 A_\mu}[/tex]

It doesn't matter whether the 0 is upstairs or downstairs, if you're using the (+---) metric. It would have mattered however if you were using the (-+++) metric, of course. However, for consistency and esthetical reasons, the 0 should be downstairs when it's the time derivative of the vector potential. So the second formula in my quote is the right one to use.

And the canonical hamiltonian for a constrained system is always computed on the hypersurface of primary constraints. In your case, it's the hypersurface [itex] \Pi_{0} = \Pi^{0} = 0 [/itex].

To find the hamiltonian in terms of the classical fields E and B, first compute wrt the potentials and the canonical momenta.

Related to What is the Mistake in Deriving the EM Hamiltonian?

1. How is the EM Hamiltonian derived?

The EM Hamiltonian is derived using the classical Lagrangian formalism, which involves defining a Lagrangian function for the system and finding the equations of motion through the principle of least action. The Hamiltonian is then obtained by performing a Legendre transformation on the Lagrangian.

2. What is the role of the electric and magnetic fields in the EM Hamiltonian?

The electric and magnetic fields play a crucial role in the EM Hamiltonian, as they are used to describe the interactions between charged particles and electromagnetic radiation. The fields are included in the Hamiltonian through the use of vector potentials.

3. How does the EM Hamiltonian describe the dynamics of a system?

The EM Hamiltonian is a mathematical function that represents the total energy of a system and its time evolution. It describes the dynamics of a system by providing a set of equations, known as the Hamilton's equations, which govern the evolution of the system over time.

4. Can the EM Hamiltonian be used for quantum systems?

Yes, the EM Hamiltonian can be used for both classical and quantum systems. In classical mechanics, it describes the dynamics of a system of charged particles and electromagnetic radiation. In quantum mechanics, it is used to describe the dynamics of a quantum system in terms of wave functions and operators.

5. What are the applications of the EM Hamiltonian?

The EM Hamiltonian has various applications in physics, including the study of electromagnetic interactions, the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields, and the dynamics of quantum systems. It is also used in the development of theories such as electrodynamics and quantum field theory.