What is the minimum value of y in the Absolute Value Function?

In summary, We need to determine the minimum value of $y$ where $y=|x-1|+|2x-1|+|3x-1|+\cdots+|nx-1|$ and $x$ and $y$ are real numbers, while $n$ is a natural number. We should minimize $y$ over $x$ as a function of $n$.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Determine the minimum of $y$ where $y=|x-1|+|2x-1|+|3x-1|+\cdots+|nx-1|$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The minimum of $y$ is zero and is achieved when $n = 1$ and $x = 1$.

Seriously though, should we minimize $y$ over $x$ as a function of $n$? Also, are $x, y$ real? (I assume $n$ is a natural number).

Bacterius said:
The minimum of $y$ is zero and is achieved when $n = 1$ and $x = 1$.

Seriously though, should we minimize $y$ over $x$ as a function of $n$? Also, are $x, y$ real? (I assume $n$ is a natural number).

Ops...my problem isn't very clear, and yes, Bacterius, your instinct are all right, $n$ is a natural number and both $x$ and $y$ are real, and we should minimize $y$ over $x$ as a function of $n$ instead.:eek:

My solution:

Note that if we are to graph of $y=|x-1|+|2x-1|+|3x-1|+\cdots+|nx-1|$, we need to first determine the function for each piece from different interval, and each part in its interval is necessarily piecewise linear and hence the graph of $y$ will always looks like "elbow(\/)".

Therefore the minimum of $y=|x-1|+|2x-1|+|3x-1|+\cdots+|nx-1|$ occurs at $kx-1=0$ by the time we see the changes of the gradient of the linear function turns from negative to positive.

I will illustrate this with an example.

If we have $y=|x-1|+|2x-1|+|3x-1|+|4x-1|$ and we plot its graph, we see that we need to break the absolute function into 5 intervals:

For $x>1$:

$y=x-1+2x-1+3x-1+4x-1=10x-4$
For $\dfrac{1}{2}<x<1$:

$\begin{align*}y&=-(x-1)+2x-1+3x-1+4x-1\\&=-x+2x+3x+4x+1-1-1-1\\&=8x-2\end{align*}$
For $\dfrac{1}{3}<x<\dfrac{1}{2}$:

$\begin{align*}y&=-(x-1)-(2x-1)+3x-1+4x-1\\&=-x-2x+3x+4x+1+1-1-1\\&=4x\end{align*}$
For $\dfrac{1}{4}<x<\dfrac{1}{3}$:

$\begin{align*}y&=-(x-1)-(2x-1)-(3x-1)+4x-1\\&=-x-2x-3x+4x+1+1+1-1\\&=-2x+2\end{align*}$
For $x<\dfrac{1}{4}$:

$\begin{align*}y&=-(x-1)-(2x-1)-(3x-1)-(4x-1)\\&=-x-2x-3x-4x+1+1+1+1\\&=-10x+4\end{align*}$
View attachment 4309From the graph, we can see that minimum of $y$ occurs at $3x-1=0$, i.e. $x=\dfrac{1}{3}$. This happens when the gradient of the piecewise linear function changes from $4$ ($y=4x$) to $-2$ ($y=-2x+2$). We can evaluate the minimum value by evaluating the function $-x-2x-3x+4x+1+1+1-1=-2x+2$ at $x=\dfrac{1}{3}$.

Now, back to the original problem to find the minimum of $y=|x-1|+|2x-1|+|3x-1|+\cdots+|nx-1|$. I know I need to focus on finding which $k$ value (from $kx-1$) does the gradient of the piecewise function changes from negative to positive. Since the only thing that matters is the gradient of the linear function, I will consider only all the coefficients of $x$ terms and discard the constants in finding for $k$. Here, $k$ is natural number.

$(1,\,2,\,3,\,\cdots,\,k-1),\,\,(k,\,k+1,\,\cdots,\,n)$

I know I need the sum from $(1,\,2,\,3,\,\cdots,\,k-1)$ is less than the sum from $(k,\,k+1,\,\cdots,\,n)$.

Therefore I get

$k\left(\dfrac{k-1}{2}\right)<(n+k)\left(\dfrac{n+1-k}{2}\right)$

I then solve the inequality above for natural number $k$, and obtain

$2k^2-2k-(n^2+n)<0$

$k=\left\lfloor\dfrac{1}{2}+\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{4}+\dfrac{n^2+n}{2}}\right\rfloor$

Now, to find for its minimum value, we subtract the sum of $kx-1+(k+1)x-1+\cdots+nx-1$ from the sum of $x-1+2x-1+\cdots+(k-1)x-1$ and remember to replace $x=\dfrac{1}{k}$ and get:

$\begin{align*}y_{\text{min}}&=(kx-1+nx-1)\left(\dfrac{n+1-k}{2}\right)-(x-1+(k-1)x-1)\left(\dfrac{k-1}{2}\right)\\&=(kx+nx-2)\left(\dfrac{n+1-k}{2}\right)-(kx-2)\left(\dfrac{k-1}{2}\right)\\&=\left(\dfrac{n}{k}-1\right)\left(\dfrac{n+1-k}{2}\right)+\left(\dfrac{k-1}{2}\right)\end{align*}$

where $k=\left\lfloor\dfrac{1}{2}+\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{4}+\dfrac{n^2+n}{2}}\right\rfloor$.

Attachments

• Optimization Challenge.PNG
    Optimization Challenge.PNG
    3.8 KB · Views: 44

Related to What is the minimum value of y in the Absolute Value Function?

1. What is the definition of an absolute value function?

An absolute value function is a mathematical function that returns the distance between a number and zero on a number line. It is represented by two vertical bars surrounding the input, and always outputs a non-negative value.

2. How is an absolute value function written in mathematical notation?

An absolute value function is written as |x|, where x is the input value. It can also be written as abs(x) or ||x||.

3. What is the domain and range of an absolute value function?

The domain of an absolute value function is all real numbers, as any number can be used as the input. The range of an absolute value function is also all real numbers, but the output will always be non-negative.

4. Can an absolute value function have a negative output?

No, an absolute value function will always return a non-negative value. However, the input value can be negative, which will result in a positive output.

5. How is an absolute value function used in real life?

An absolute value function is used in many real life situations, such as calculating distances, determining the magnitude of a vector, and finding the difference between two values. It is also used in various mathematical models and equations in fields such as physics and economics.