What is the minimum stopping distance for a car traveling at a speed of 40 m/s?

In summary, the minimum stopping distance for a car traveling at a speed of 30m/s is 60m, including the reaction time of the driver. For the same car traveling at a speed of 40 m/s, the minimum stopping distance is 100m. This can be calculated using the formula v^2 = u^2 +2as, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and s is the distance traveled. The acceleration can be found using the formula Vf=Vi+at, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.
ae4jm
[SOLVED] Minimum Stopping Distance

Homework Statement

The minimum stopping distance for a car traveling at a speed of 30m/s is 60m, including the distance traveled during the driver's reaction time of 0.50s.

a.What is the minimum stopping distance for the same car traveling at a speed of 40 m/s?

b. Draw a position-versus-time graph for the motion of the car in part a. Assume the car is at Xo=0m when the driver first sees the emergency situation ahead that calls for a rapid halt.

Homework Equations

For a part:
Vf=Vi+at

d=((Vi+Vf)/2)*t

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct answer for a part is 100m. I'm getting 96.7m. I started with the given and figured the time to be 5.335s, using Vf=Vi+at, and subtracted .5s for the reaction time. Then I used d=((Vi+Vf)/2)*t, which I got 96.7m. I don't think that I'm plugging into the formulas correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
The car will not stop in the same time. But its acceleration is constant. Try [itex] v^2 = u^2 +2as[/itex]

Okay, I got the acceleration from the given information and then used the equation you have given to solve for a. part. Thanks for the help--it is greatly appreaciated.

Related to What is the minimum stopping distance for a car traveling at a speed of 40 m/s?

1. What is minimum stopping distance?

Minimum stopping distance is the distance required for a vehicle to come to a complete stop from a certain speed. It takes into account factors such as reaction time and braking distance.

2. What factors affect minimum stopping distance?

The main factors that affect minimum stopping distance include the speed of the vehicle, the condition of the road, the condition of the tires, and the reaction time of the driver.

3. How is minimum stopping distance calculated?

Minimum stopping distance is calculated by adding the reaction distance, which is the distance traveled while the driver is reacting to a situation, and the braking distance, which is the distance traveled while the vehicle is braking.

4. Why is understanding minimum stopping distance important?

Understanding minimum stopping distance is important because it helps drivers maintain a safe distance from other vehicles and objects on the road. It also helps drivers make informed decisions about their speed and braking in different driving conditions.

5. How can minimum stopping distance be reduced?

Minimum stopping distance can be reduced by maintaining a safe speed, having good tires with proper tread depth, and practicing good driving habits such as keeping a safe distance from other vehicles and avoiding distractions while driving.