What is the minimum radius for safe circular flight?

In summary, the pilot of an airplane wants to limit the radial acceleration to 8.88g while flying in a horizontal circle at a speed of 141 m/s. The mass of the pilot is 94.2 kg, but it does not affect the radial acceleration. Using the equation v^2/r, the minimum radius of the circular path can be calculated to be 228 meters. The mass of the pilot and the airplane are considered as one entity in this scenario and do not affect the radial acceleration.
DJB1991

Homework Statement

An airplane is flying in a horizontal circle at a speed of 141 m/s. The 94.2 kg pilot does not want his radial acceleration to exceed 8.88g

What is the minimum radius of the circular path?

Homework Equations

v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

141^2/.00888 kg

Physics news on Phys.org
try using v^2/r<=8.88g

i don't think u have to take gravity cause its perpendicular to radial acceleration and it really has no effect (its a horizontal circle)

yeah i realized that as soon as i wrote it. i was thinking centripetal acceleration and vertical circle, don't know where i got that from

i don't know why they gave the pilots mass, it won't affect radial acceleration will it?

with your attempt why do you have 0.00888kg? a_C =v^2/r r=141^2/9.81*8.888? = 228

pat666 said:
i don't know why they gave the pilots mass, it won't affect radial acceleration will it?
how does a helicopter lift-off?

evidently it will but are the pilot and the plane one entity? or are they considered as two separate masses. sorry I am asking more questions than djb991 i just covered this topic and don't understand it too well.

pat666 said:
evidently it will but are the pilot and the plane one entity? or are they considered as two separate masses. sorry I am asking more questions than djb991 i just covered this topic and don't understand it too well.
sorry, completely misread about half of that problem. then yes, the mass of the pilot seems pretty insignificant considering the mass of the airplane.

pat666 said:
with your attempt why do you have 0.00888kg? a_C =v^2/r r=141^2/9.81*8.888? = 228

is there anything you can see wrong with what I've done here? except the a_c should be a_r and there should be brackets around the bottom half.

pilot n airplane r considered as one entity
pilots mass or even the whole system mass won't affect its radial acceleration as its moving in a horizontal circle
141*141/r=8.88*9.8

yep that's exactly what I thought and said

Related to What is the minimum radius for safe circular flight?

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular motion. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary for an object to maintain its circular path.

What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force acting towards the center of the circle, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather the result of inertia pushing against the centripetal force.

How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = mv²/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What are some examples of centripetal force in everyday life?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include the rotation of a Ferris wheel, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the motion of a car around a curved road.

What happens if there is no centripetal force?

If there is no centripetal force acting on an object, it will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed, rather than following a circular path. This is because there is no force to change the object's direction towards the center of the circle.