What is the minimum mass required to distort space and time ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of mass distorting space and time according to Einstein's General Theory of Relativity. There is no minimum mass required to distort space and time, as all mass distorts it to some degree. The conversation also mentions the concept of a "Schwartzschild radius" and how it relates to the distortion of space and time by a particle. There is also discussion about whether or not leptons produce a gravitational field, with some arguing that it is an assumption based on theory. However, there is no conclusive experimental evidence to support this claim.
SBC
Hi

What is the minimum mass required to distort space and time ?

According to Einstein's General theory of relativity .
Mass distorts Space and Time.
Well Quantum Physics does not satisfy with General theory of relativity.

So, it asks a Question does G exist in quantum size world ?
well ,

My question is that ...

"What is the minimum mass required to distort space and time ?"

I mean Does asteroid can distort space and Time ?

Does big comet can distort space and time ?

Does astronaut can distort Space and time ?

I mean What is the minimum MASS limit to distort Space and time ?

I call it "Einstein space time distortion limit !"

Physics news on Phys.org
According to GR, all mass distorts spacetime. It is only a question of how much it distorts. There is no "limit".

espen180 said:
According to GR, all mass distorts spacetime. It is only a question of how much it distorts. There is no "limit".
a particle would distort too ??

Yes, but something like an electron makes such little distortion that it is negligable.

In spherical coordinates, the radial component of the spacetime metric for a point mass is [tex]\frac{1}{1-\frac{2GM}{c^2r}}[/tex] where [tex]G=6.673(10)\cdot 10^{-11} m^{3} kg^{-1} s^{-2}[/tex] is the gravitational constant, [tex]c=2.99792458\cdot 10^{8}m\, s^{-1}[/tex] is the speed of light in vacuum, [tex]M[/tex] is the mass of the particle and [tex]r[/tex] is the distance from the particle. You can see that unless the mass is huge og you are close to the schwartzschild radius of the paricle, there really is no significant curvature.

If I recall correctly, the r in the Schwarzschild equation is the radius of the particle. Or am misremembering things? Otherwise, solid explanation.

The r in the Scwartzschild equation is definitely not the radius of the particle. The equation is only valid outside the mass, and if the radius is smaller then the Scwartzschild radius, the equation only holds outside the Scwartzschild radius. There are other coordinates which describe the interior of the black hole, and all of them (as far as I know) break down at the center (r=0).

Ack, you're most definitely correct. Sorry, carry on :)

Another way of thinking about it is that Einstein's bending of spacetime geometry is simply a different way of thinking about what we have classically thought of as the gravitational force. If you were to ask what is the smallest particle which interacts gravitationally, the answer would surely be "no matter how small the mass, all massive particles interact gravitationally."

Nabeshin said:
If you were to ask what is the smallest particle which interacts gravitationally, the answer would surely be "no matter how small the mass, all massive particles interact gravitationally."
But there is a difference between "interacting with gravity (passive)" and "producing a gravitational field (active)". Laboratory experiments have demonstrated that leptons have passive gravitational mass. But there is no conclusive experimental evidence to show that leptons produce a gravitational field (bend space time). This is an assumption based on theory.

TurtleMeister said:
But there is a difference between "interacting with gravity (passive)" and "producing a gravitational field (active)". Laboratory experiments have demonstrated that leptons have passive gravitational mass. But there is no conclusive experimental evidence to show that leptons produce a gravitational field (bend space time). This is an assumption based on theory.

If we are talking about single leptons, I think a theory of quantum gravity is neccesary. Quantum effects would certainly be a factor in measurements of the gravitational attraction between single leptons.

TurtleMeister said:

Interesting.

My first thought is, probably quite naturally, to write it off as the fact that a lepton produces a terribly weak gravitational field which is extremely difficult to detect.

If indeed a lepton did not produce a gravitational field, I have a feeling that would throw a wrench in something in GR but I can't quite put my finger on it. Equivalence principle, perhaps? Not sure. At any rate, thanks for the clarification!

This thread has drifted into speculation. The answer was given in Post #2.

Related to What is the minimum mass required to distort space and time ?

1. What is the concept of mass in relation to space and time distortion?

The concept of mass refers to the amount of matter an object contains. In the theory of relativity, mass is one of the factors that determines the curvature of space and time. The more massive an object is, the greater its ability to distort space and time.

2. Is there a specific mass threshold for distorting space and time?

There is no specific mass threshold for distorting space and time. According to the theory of general relativity, any object with mass has the ability to warp the fabric of space and time to some degree. However, the amount of distortion will depend on the mass and density of the object.

3. Can any object, regardless of size, distort space and time?

Yes, any object with mass has the ability to distort space and time. Even small objects like atoms and particles can cause slight distortions in the fabric of space-time. However, the effects of these distortions are usually too small to be noticeable.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the curvature of space and time?

The mass of an object directly affects the curvature of space and time. The more massive an object is, the greater its gravitational pull, and therefore, the stronger its ability to distort space and time. This is why large objects like planets and stars have a more significant impact on the fabric of space-time than smaller objects.

5. Is there a limit to how much space and time can be distorted by mass?

In theory, there is no limit to how much space and time can be distorted by mass. However, as an object's mass increases, the amount of energy required to distort space and time also increases exponentially. At a certain point, the energy required would be astronomical and may not be attainable in reality.