What is the meaning of the dot product in calculus?

In summary: The cross product is a vector operator that is related to the dot product. It is defined aswhere u and v are vectors, and r is the vector between them. It is a vector perpendicular to both u and v and has the same magnitude as u.
steez
I was woundering what exactly is the dot product and by that I mean what does it represent because I know the equations but it just seems to spit out a random number. I do not get what this number is supposed to mean. I know how it is usefull to solve many different problems and I know how to use it but it doesn't make very much sense because how is it related to anything. I have seen proofs but they don't seem to help. What does it acctually mean?Or am I thinking of the dot product in the wrong way?

Physics news on Phys.org
The dot product generalizes the concepts of length and distance.
say
u,v,w are vectors
a is a scalar
||u||
||v||
are lengths
u.v=||u||*||v||*cos(angle)
u.u=||u||*||u||

dot product is linear
there are more general inner products, but it is usual to suppose the dot product has these properties

positivity
v.v>=0
definiteness
v.v=0 if and only iv v=0
additivity
(u+v).w=u.w+v.w
homogeneity
(av).w=a(v.w)
symmetry
u.v=v.u

also of great importance is invariance under isometry
let A be an isometry (ie a change in coordinates)
(Au).(Av)=u.v

dot product is the only (up to multiplication by a scalar) product map from two vectors to a scalar that is invariant

The meaning of a vector does not depend on its coordinates so any question about the relationship between two vectors does not either. Thus dot products are often used to answer such questions.

Dot products can also be used to project vectors.
That is pick out a relavent part.
to find components of a vector we use
u.i
u.j
u.k
where i,j,k is an orthonormal basis

I agree with lurflurf...an interesting interpretation of the dot product is the projection of one vector onto another. That is, if ||u||=1=||v||, then u.v is the component of u in the v direction (similarly the component of v in the u direction). Things get more complicated when we deal with non-unit vectors, because you have to normalize by ||u||^2 to get the correct projection.

I like to think of it in terms of work/energy (although I realize there are any number of applications both practical and abstract).

Think of the current in a river as the force, and your movement across the river as the displacement. The dot product of the current and your displacement indicates the work done on you by the current. If you swim with the current, the angle between the current vector and your displacement vector is small (cosø is positive), and you don't have to exert yourself as much (if at all, ie. cos(0)=1). If you battle the current to swim upstream or go horizontally across to the other bank (forcing you to swim at an angle upstream) you have to expend more energy to battle the force of the current.

Or think of it as the "Shadow" of one vector cast on another using a light source perpendicular to the latter vector (a "projection").

Essentially it is the portion of one vector that acts in the direction of another.

Now how about the cross product... :biggrin:

Related to What is the meaning of the dot product in calculus?

1. What is the dot product in calculus?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the vectors and then adding the products together.

2. What is the purpose of the dot product in calculus?

The dot product is commonly used in calculus to determine the angle between two vectors, find the projection of one vector onto another, and to calculate work done by a force acting on an object.

3. How is the dot product calculated?

To calculate the dot product, first multiply the corresponding components of the two vectors. Then, add the products together to get a single scalar value. In mathematical notation, it is represented as A · B = (A1 * B1) + (A2 * B2) + ... + (An * Bn).

4. What is the geometric interpretation of the dot product?

The dot product is related to the angle between two vectors. If the dot product is positive, it means the vectors are pointing in the same direction or have an acute angle between them. If the dot product is negative, it means the vectors are pointing in opposite directions or have an obtuse angle between them. A dot product of zero indicates that the vectors are perpendicular to each other.

5. How is the dot product used in real-world applications?

The dot product is used in physics to calculate work, in geometry to find the angle between two vectors, and in computer graphics to determine the lighting and shading of 3D objects. It also has applications in economics, statistics, and engineering.