What is the Meaning of the Differential?

In summary, the differential of a function of one independent variable is a way to measure how a function changes when one changes x. It is written as dy (or df). The equation dy = f'(x) dx is the correct one, but in the course of time it became customary to write dy = f'(x) dx in the more familiar form.
e(ho0n3
I started reading this ODE book and it first starts by introducing the concept of the differential of a function of one independent variable. Here is the definition:

Let y = f(x) define y as a function of x on an interval I. The differential of y, written as dy (or df) is defined by

[tex](dy)(x,\Delta x) = f'(x)\Delta x[/tex]

Then it goes on to say:

To distinguish between the function defined by y = x and the variable x, we place the symbol ^ over the x so that [itex]y = \hat{x}[/itex]. If [itex]y = \hat{x}[/itex] then

[tex](dy)(x,\Delta x) = (d\hat{x})(x,\Delta x) = \Delta x[/tex]

since f'(x) = 1. The text generalizes further by restating the first equation as

[tex](dy)(x,\Delta x) = f'(x) (d\hat{x})(x,\Delta x)[/tex]

I'm still not clear why this substitution is made. It then goes on and states: The relation [the equation above] is the correct one, but in the course of time, it became customary to write [the equation above] in the more familiar form dy = f'(x) dx. So, as I understand it, [itex]\Delta x = dx[/itex]!? I'm I missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
In effect, yes. However, note that it really should be [itex]\Delta x= d\hat{x}[/itex] where [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] is the identity function. Since the derivative of the identity function is 1, it is certainly true that [itex]d\hat{x}(x,\Delta x)= \Delta x[/itex] and so we can write dx instead of [itex]\Delta x[/itex].

Notice the "abuse of terminology": we have replaced the function [itex]d\hat{x}(x, \Delta x)[/itex] with the symbol dx. dx is NOT "[itex]\Delta x[/itex]" but it is a function such that [itex]d\hat{x}(x, \Delta x)= \Delta x[/itex]. In practice we treat dx as if it were the "denominator" of the "fraction" dy/dx. Of course, dy/dx is NOT a fraction but since we can always "treat it like one" (to prove any property of a fraction, go back before the limit to the difference quotient which IS a fraction, use the property and take the limit again), it is useful to have a notation that let's us do that.

So whenever I see dx, I should interpret it as [itex]\Delta x[/itex] or [itex]d\hat{x}(x, \Delta x)[/itex]? Now you're telling me that dx is a function!? Why all this abuse and nonsense?

The reason for all the abuse is that dx is really something called a "one-form," (which is related to a vector) and is not really a number or variable or function at all. In many cases, however, it suffices to make some simplifying assumptions about dx and treat it as a number, or variable. Unfortunately, it will be a while before anyone at school will teach you the full meaning of it.

- Warren

Well for one thing, I'm not in school (not yet at least). I just want to know if I can forget about all that crap I showed in my first post and just blindly assume that dy = f'(x) dx. And what is the difference then between the differential and a one-form or are they the same thing? Does the definition of the differential I gave in my first post satisfy the requisites needed to be a one-form? Maybe I should just skip all this ODE business and jump strainght into differential geometry. What do you think?

For practical use, just think of dx as meaning "a very slight change in x" and dy as "a very slight change in y". That's what engineers and physicists do. It's just mathematicians who have to be very precise and distinguish between "numbers", and "functions", and "functionals".

Related to What is the Meaning of the Differential?

1. What is the meaning of the differential?

The differential is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to its variables. In other words, it measures how much a function changes as its input values change.

2. How is the differential different from the derivative?

The differential is the result of the derivative operation, which is the process of finding the rate of change of a function at a specific point. The derivative is a function, while the differential is a single value.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the differential?

The differential can be thought of as the slope of the tangent line to a curve at a specific point. It represents the direction and rate at which the curve is changing at that point.

4. How is the differential used in real-world applications?

The differential is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, to model and analyze real-world phenomena. It can help predict how a system will behave and make informed decisions based on the rate of change.

5. Can the differential of a function be negative?

Yes, the differential can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point. The sign of the differential represents the direction of change, while its absolute value represents the rate of change.