What Is the Maximum Speed of the Daughter Nucleus in Negative Beta Decay?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the maximum possible speed of the daughter nucleus in negative beta decay of a Helium-6 nucleus, starting from its rest state. The solution involves considering momentum conservation and using equations for mass-energy equivalence and kinetic energy. However, the given answer in the book is different due to not taking momentum conservation into account.
Amith2006

Homework Statement

1)Determine the maximum possible speed of the daughter nucleus in negative beta decay of a He(6,2) nucleus which is initially at rest.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved in the following way:
He(6,2) --> Li(6,3) + electron + antineutrino
The daughter nucleus will have maximum speed when the electron and antineutrino has zero kinetic energy. Applying mass-energy equivalence,
M(He)c^2 = M(Li)c^2 + K(Li)
Where M(He)=atomic mass of helium isotope, M(Li)= atomic mass of Lithium isotope,
K(Li)=Kinetic energy of daughter nucleus
On simplification I get,
K(Li)=3.52 MeV
(1/2)M(Li)v^2=3.52 MeV
On simplification I get,
v=1x10^7 m/sec
But the answer given in my book is 1x10^5 m/sec. Could someone please tell me where I have gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your decay scenario doesn't conserve momentum! Use 4 vectors.

The daughter nucleus will have maximum speed when the electron and antineutrino has zero kinetic energy.

You must always consider momentum conservation!

Max daughter speed is when the e and antineutrino both go in the same direction. Then use E and p conservation.

Related to What Is the Maximum Speed of the Daughter Nucleus in Negative Beta Decay?

What is the velocity of a daughter nucleus?

The velocity of a daughter nucleus refers to the speed at which the daughter nucleus moves after a nuclear reaction has taken place.

How is the velocity of a daughter nucleus calculated?

The velocity of a daughter nucleus is calculated using the conservation of momentum equation, which takes into account the mass and velocity of the parent nucleus and the daughter nucleus.

Does the velocity of a daughter nucleus depend on the type of nuclear reaction?

Yes, the velocity of a daughter nucleus can vary depending on the type of nuclear reaction that occurs. For example, in a fission reaction, the daughter nuclei typically have a higher velocity than in a fusion reaction.

What factors can affect the velocity of a daughter nucleus?

The velocity of a daughter nucleus can be influenced by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the parent nucleus, the type and energy of the nuclear reaction, and any external forces acting on the daughter nucleus.

Why is the velocity of a daughter nucleus important to study?

The velocity of a daughter nucleus is important to study because it provides valuable information about the characteristics of a nuclear reaction. It can also help scientists understand the behavior of particles and the transfer of energy during a nuclear reaction.