What is the Maximum Speed at Point Q Without Breaking the String?

In summary, the maximum speed the ball can have at point Q without breaking the string can be expressed as Vmax = √(Tr/m - gr), where T is the maximum tension the string can have without breaking, r is the radius of the ball's path, m is the mass of the ball, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. In order for the string to not break, the tension and weight force must have opposite signs.
tdreceiver17

Homework Statement

The maximum tension the string can have without breaking is Tmax. Derive an expression for Vmax, the maximum speed the ball can have at point Q without breaking the string.

Homework Equations

F=ma
Vc=(mv^2)/r
T=mg+ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could do T+mg=mv^2/r because mv^2/r-mg would give you the max speed to keep the same tension and anything great would produce a greater tension that the string doesn't have causing it to break. So, I pulled out a common factor in m and got a common denominator giving me m((v^2-gr)/r)=T

IMG_3397.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the size of the pic. If you click on it it will expand.

Careful, the equation you have is incorrect -- tension and weight force act in opposite directions at point Q, so this needs to be reflected in their signs.

tdreceiver17 said:
Sorry for the size of the pic. If you click on it it will expand.

Thats what I thought at first but wanted to try something new. So is it the same thing I have put down but with a plus sign?

What I mean is that you have this:

tdreceiver17 said:
T+mg=mv^2/r

but T and mg cannot have the same sign. There has to be a negative somewhere on the left.

jackarms said:
What I mean is that you have this:

but T and mg cannot have the same sign. There has to be a negative somewhere on the left.

-T+mg=mv^2/r ?

No, you're mixing up your signs. Start with this:

At Q, which way do both forces point, and which way does the acceleration point?

Related to What is the Maximum Speed at Point Q Without Breaking the String?

1. What is the definition of maximum tension question?

Maximum tension question refers to a type of scientific experiment or study where the main objective is to determine the maximum amount of stress or force that a material or structure can withstand before breaking or deforming. It is often used in fields such as engineering, materials science, and biomechanics.

2. How is maximum tension question different from other types of experiments?

The main difference between maximum tension question and other types of experiments is the focus on determining the maximum limit of a material or structure. Other experiments may focus on different aspects such as the properties or behavior of a material under various conditions.

3. What are the factors that can affect the results of a maximum tension question?

The results of a maximum tension question can be affected by various factors such as the type and quality of the material being tested, the testing equipment and methods used, and external factors such as temperature and humidity. It is important for scientists to carefully control and monitor these variables to ensure accurate results.

4. What are some common applications of maximum tension question?

Maximum tension question is commonly used in the design and testing of various structures and materials, such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft. It is also used in the development of new materials and in the study of biological structures and tissues.

5. What are some potential limitations of using maximum tension question?

One potential limitation of maximum tension question is that it may not accurately reflect real-world conditions or scenarios. The results of a controlled laboratory experiment may not always translate to real-life situations. Additionally, the process of testing can also alter the properties of the material being tested, leading to potential discrepancies in the results.