What is the maximum profit and production level for this profit function?

In summary: I'm not familiar with those methods. Can you provide an example or a web pointer? I'd be interested in seeing how they work.
L²Cc
Hootenanny, I have uninstalled nexus skin...I guess it did contribute to the fact I couldn't use the site's template!

Homework Statement

Note: This problem comprises many parts, but I will just skip to the last one, since it's the one I'm struggling to answer!

An economist producing x thousand items attempts to model a profit function as a quadratic model P(x) = ax²+bx+c thousand dollars.

Given info: a=t, b=3-5t, c=5+4t = possible solutions for the system

part c asks us to find the "actual profit function" when the profit for producing 2500 items is 19,750 dollars (Note: 19750 becomes 19.75 when we plug into the function)...

Then part d asks us what is the max profit to be made and what level of production is needed to achieve it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After substitution, the function for part c is as follows:
p(x)= (-29/9)x²+(172/9)x-(71/9) thousand dollars
such that 19.75= (-29/9)x²+(172/9)x-(71/9) thousand dollars
I'm guessing we have to use this formula to answer part d...I have solved x, where, in this case, x=0.44 or 5.48
Yet, I don't think these x-values will help me solve part d?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned how to use differentiation to find the max and min of a function? BTW, what is "t"?

a=t=(-29/9)...hmm we have done some calculus...but we haven't applied it yet to functions in math. In physics, I have applied calculus when dealing with acceleration and velocity. I'm assuming it's the same idea.

Last edited:
L²Cc said:
a=t=(-29/9)...hmm we have done some calculus...but we haven't applied it yet to functions in math. In physics, I have applied calculus when dealing with acceleration and velocity. I'm assuming it's the same idea.

The derivative of a function is the slope of the function at each point. So for example, if y = -2x^2, then dy/dx = -4x. So if you plot y(x) and dy/dx, you will see that the function y(x) is an upside-down parabola centered on the origin, and the slope function dy/dx is positive for -x and negative for +x, and it is zero at the origin where the function is maximum.

So the general technique for finding maxima and minima of a function is to take the deriviate of the function and set that equal to zero. Solving that equation gives you all the values of x where the function has a max or min. You then either have to plot the function to see if it's a max or min, or else take the second derivative to see if the funtion has positive curvature (like a cup shape) or negative curvature (like an umbrella shape) at each max/min. Make sense?

This part is rather confusing "So if you plot y(x) and dy/dx, you will see that the function y(x) is an upside-down parabola centered on the origin, and the slope function dy/dx is positive for -x and negative for +x, and it is zero at the origin where the function is maximum"
But I understood the rest!
Based on your comment, I can simply graph the quadratic equation (0= (-29/9)x²+(172/9)x-(995/36)) then find the coordinates of the peak which represent the max. profit. I plug in the values which will enable me to find the max. profit! Using differentiation, the equation will be: (-58/9)x+(172/9)...right?

Thank you I found the answer graphically, where the number of products equals about 2970 and max. profit= 20,448 dollars. But can you please elaborate on the differentation concept?

L²Cc said:
Thank you I found the answer graphically, where the number of products equals about 2970 and max. profit= 20,448 dollars. But can you please elaborate on the differentation concept?

Sure. Check out "Using Derivitaves to Graph Functions" at this wikipedia.org page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative

L²Cc said:
Using differentiation, the equation will be: (-58/9)x+(172/9)...right?

Looks like the number you got graphically also. Good job.

While calculus is a good tool for solving this; it seems as if he's not learning Calculus at the moment. Rather, Algebra or Pre-Calculus.

Thus, we must use matrices and other forms to solve the answer =).

One way I'm thinking is to set it up in a matrix and then row reference to solve for the variables.

There's also another way in which you plot two graphs and the intersection of these two graphs produces the maximums =).

Last edited:
AngeloG said:
While calculus is a good tool for solving this; it seems as if he's not learning Calculus at the moment. Rather, Algebra or Pre-Calculus.

Thus, we must use matrices and other forms to solve the answer =).

One way I'm thinking is to set it up in a matrix and then row reference to solve for the variables.

There's also another way in which you plot two graphs and the intersection of these two graphs produces the maximums =).

I'm not familiar with those methods. Can you provide an example or a web pointer? I'd be interested in seeing how they work.

The simplest way, especially if youre not familliar with calc, is to find the axis of symmetry and plug that into get the y coordinate of the vertex. The calc comes in handy for higher degree polynomials

Since the question in question is a parbola, you don't need to use calculus: complete the square to find the vertex of the parabola.

Related to What is the maximum profit and production level for this profit function?

1. What are matrices and how are they used in word problems?

Matrices are rectangular arrays of numbers or symbols that are used to represent and solve mathematical equations. In word problems, matrices can be used to organize and manipulate data, such as in systems of linear equations or in optimization problems.

2. How do you solve word problems using matrices?

To solve word problems using matrices, you first need to identify the variables and their relationships in the problem. Then, you can set up a system of equations using matrices and use algebraic methods to solve for the unknown variables.

3. Can matrices be used in real-life situations?

Yes, matrices are widely used in various real-life situations, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. They can be used to model and solve problems involving multiple variables and complex relationships.

4. What is the difference between a matrix and a scalar?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols, while a scalar is a single number. Matrices can be multiplied and added together, while scalars can only be multiplied or added to a matrix.

5. Are there any limitations to using matrices in word problems?

While matrices are powerful tools for solving word problems, they can become computationally complex and difficult to solve in certain situations. Additionally, the validity of the solution depends on the correctness of the initial setup and assumptions made in the problem.