What is the maximum mass of a bug to not tip the straw?

In summary, the problem involves finding the largest mass of a second insect that can land on a straw placed on a table without toppling it, given the dimensions and masses of the straw and first insect. The method involves finding the center of mass of the system and using a torque equation to solve for the maximum mass. Through careful calculations, the correct answer is found to be 0.07kg.
Nathanael
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

"A drinking straw of length [itex]1.5a[/itex] and mass [itex]2m[/itex] is placed on a square table of side [itex]a[/itex] parallel to one of its sides such that one third of its length extends beyond the table. An insect of mass [itex]\frac{1}{2}m[/itex] lands on the inner end of the straw (ie, the end which lies on the table) and walks along the straw until it reaches the outer end. It does not topple even when another insect lands on top of the first one. Find the largest mass of the second insect that can have without toppling the straw. Neglect friction.
Take [itex]a[/itex]=1 meter, and [itex]m[/itex]=0.02kg"

2. The attempt at a solution

To summarize my method:

I figured that "Neglect friction" was a sneaky way of saying that the center of mass of the straw and bug does not move.

So I found where the center of mass of the bug+straw is (0.35 meters from the edge of the table) and then I found how far out from the edge of the table the bug will be when he walks all the way along the straw (0.25 meters).

Then I used an equation for the torque (using the edge of the table as the pivot point) to find the maximum mass of the second bug, which I found to be 0.07kg, which is wrong.Is my method wrong, am I overlooking something? Or did I just make mistakes in my calculations? (I went through them twice)
Edited because I accidentally wrote "0.55" instead of "0.35"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nathanael said:
So I found where the center of mass of the bug+straw is (0.35 meters from the edge of the table)

That's not what I get. Please post your working. Your method looks fine.

Likes 1 person
The center of mass of the straw is 0.25 meters from the edge of the table, and the mass of the straw is 2m

The bug is 1 meter from the edge of the table, with a mass of m/2

The center of mass (as measured from the edge of the table) would then be:

[itex]\frac{0.25*2m+1*m/2}{2.5m}=\frac{0.5m+0.5m}{2.5m}=\frac{1+1}{5}=0.4[/itex]

:redface: Silly me, I must've made the same mistake twice, :redface: and I don't even know what that mistake was!

Anyway, thanks haruspex, and sorry for making you go through the calculation.
(I was hoping it was a conceptual error, not a computational one.)

Next time I will triple check my answers! :-pP.S.
I now get the correct answer.

Nathanael said:
Anyway, thanks haruspex, and sorry for making you go through the calculation.
No problem.

in the original post.

Your method seems correct, but there may have been a mistake in your calculations. I did the calculations myself using the same method and got a maximum mass of 0.035kg for the second insect, which is half of your answer. It's possible that you made a mistake in converting the units, as 0.07kg is equivalent to 70g, which seems like a lot for a small bug. I would recommend double-checking your calculations and units to make sure they are correct.

Related to What is the maximum mass of a bug to not tip the straw?

What is the maximum mass of a bug to not tip the straw?

The maximum mass of a bug to not tip the straw depends on various factors such as the thickness and strength of the straw, the weight distribution of the bug, and the level of force applied to the straw. However, generally, a bug with a mass of less than 1 gram is unlikely to tip a standard plastic straw.

What type of bug can tip a straw?

Any type of bug, regardless of its size or weight, can potentially tip a straw if the conditions are right. For example, a small but strong ant may be able to tip a straw if it applies enough force, while a larger but lighter butterfly may not have enough strength to do so.

How can I test the maximum mass of a bug to not tip a straw?

To test the maximum mass of a bug to not tip a straw, you can conduct a simple experiment. First, choose a sturdy straw and place it on a flat surface. Then, gradually add weight to the straw using small objects such as coins or paper clips until the straw starts to tilt or tip. The maximum mass of the bug can be estimated based on the weight of the objects that caused the straw to tip.

Can a bug tip a straw in any direction?

Yes, a bug can tip a straw in any direction as long as the force applied is enough to overcome the stability of the straw. This means that a bug can tip a straw both vertically and horizontally.

How does the shape of the straw affect the maximum mass of a bug to not tip it?

The shape of the straw can affect the maximum mass of a bug to not tip it. A thicker and sturdier straw, such as a paper or metal straw, may be able to withstand more weight before tipping compared to a thinner and weaker plastic straw. Additionally, a straw with a wider base may also be more stable and less likely to tip compared to a straw with a narrow base.