What is the Maximum Magnetic Force on an Electron in a Television Set?

In summary, the maximum magnetic force experienced by an electron in a television set can be found by using the equation F=BQVSin(theta), where B is the magnetic field, Q is the charge of the electron, V is the potential difference, and theta is the angle between the electron's velocity and the magnetic field. Solving for F, we get F=BQVSin(90), and by substituting the given values, we can find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force.
kdrobey

Homework Statement

In a television set, electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 23 kV. The electrons then pass through a 0.29 T magnetic field that deflects them to the appropriate spot on the screen. Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that an electron can experience.

Homework Equations

B=F/QVSin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I'm solving for F, i got it by itself:F=BQVSin(theta). I had theta equal to 90, because a charge experiences Fmax when perpendicular to the field. I had q=1.6x10^-19, which is the charge of an electron. I know that the potential difference is 23 kV, but i cannot figure out how to solve for V

Physics news on Phys.org
to solve for v, i tried v=(Square root)2q/m. so 2(1.6e-19)/(9.11e-31)=592673.9=v. then F=0.29*(1.6e-19)(592673.9)=2.75e-14

You appear to have missed a variable, that of the potential difference over which the electrons were accelerated. Apart from that your method appears quite all right.

Related to What is the Maximum Magnetic Force on an Electron in a Television Set?

What is Max Magnetic Force?

Max Magnetic Force is a measurement of the maximum amount of force that a magnetic field can exert on a charged particle. It is also known as the magnetic field strength or magnetic flux density.

How is Max Magnetic Force measured?

The unit for measuring Max Magnetic Force is the Tesla (T), named after the inventor Nikola Tesla. It can be measured using specialized equipment such as a magnetometer or Hall probe.

What factors affect Max Magnetic Force?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current flowing through a wire, the number of turns in a coil, and the material used to create the magnetic field. The distance between the source of the field and the charged particle also plays a role.

What are some real-life applications of Max Magnetic Force?

Max Magnetic Force has various applications, such as in electric motors and generators, MRI machines, particle accelerators, and magnetic levitation trains. It is also used in everyday items like speakers, credit cards, and refrigerator magnets.

Can Max Magnetic Force be harmful to humans?

In general, the Max Magnetic Force from everyday objects is not harmful to humans. However, extremely strong magnetic fields, such as those found in medical imaging machines, can affect the body's electrical impulses and may cause discomfort or other health issues. It is essential to follow safety guidelines and precautions when working with strong magnetic fields.