What is the maximum load of an odd shaped beam with a hollow u shaped fitting?

In summary, the conversation discusses a structural design involving an I beam with a U-shaped fitting along the top. The speaker is seeking help in determining the maximum load that can be applied to the structure as if it were cantilevered. They mention having the necessary dimensions and materials, and suggest calculating the moment of inertia. Another person mentions that the U-fitting should be ignored in calculating the maximum load, unless it is intended to apply the load. The speaker clarifies that the U-fitting runs the length of the beam and is at least as wide as the beam, but is not meant to apply load to the top of the I beam.

Homework Statement

This isn't homework, but I thought I would post it here as maybe more people would see it, and as I am not an engineer, it requires someone with more experience. The section is effectively an I beam with a hollow u shaped fitting along the top (see my rough sketch). I just need to know how to work out the maximum load at the end of the structure, as if it was cantilevered. I have Z, and dimensions of the materials.

Homework Equations

___
/ \
--------
|
--------

The Attempt at a Solution

I probably have to calculate the moment of inertia, would it be somewhere towards the top of the "I" beam?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As long as the U-fitting is small and I think it is oriented across the top of the beam, you would ignore it in trying to determine the maximum load on the beam.

If the U-fitting is intended to apply the load to the beam, that is another factor in determining how much load can be applied.

Sorry about the diagram its meant to be as though you were looking at the I. The u fitting runs the length of the beam, and it as at least as wide as the beam. I wouldn't think it was of negligible size. It isn't intended to apply load to the top of the I beam.

Related to What is the maximum load of an odd shaped beam with a hollow u shaped fitting?

1. What is an odd shaped beam maximum load?

An odd shaped beam maximum load refers to the maximum amount of weight or force that an irregularly shaped beam can withstand without breaking or deforming. It is an important factor to consider when designing structures or machines that use non-traditional or asymmetrical beams.

2. How is the odd shaped beam maximum load calculated?

The odd shaped beam maximum load is calculated by using mathematical equations and principles such as moment of inertia, stress, and strain. These calculations take into account the shape, size, and material properties of the beam, as well as the expected load and potential stressors.

3. What factors can affect the odd shaped beam maximum load?

The odd shaped beam maximum load can be affected by various factors such as the beam's material, cross-sectional shape, dimensions, and support conditions. Other external factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to corrosive substances can also impact the beam's maximum load.

4. Why is it important to know the odd shaped beam maximum load?

Knowing the odd shaped beam maximum load is crucial for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of a building, machine, or other construction. It helps engineers and designers determine the appropriate size, shape, and material for the beam to withstand the expected load and prevent failures or accidents.

5. How can the odd shaped beam maximum load be increased?

The odd shaped beam maximum load can be increased by using stronger and more durable materials, increasing the beam's dimensions, or modifying its shape to distribute the load more evenly. Additionally, proper reinforcement and support can also help increase the maximum load capacity of an odd shaped beam.