What is the Mass of the Block Placed on a Stiff Board in Static Equilibrium?

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of a stiff board with a length of 4.0m and a mass of 10 kg on two supports, 2.0m apart, with a block placed at a distance of 0.50m from the left end. The equations ∑F = 0 = N1 + N2 - mg - Mg and ∑τ = 0 = -1/2 N1 + 1/2 N2 - 1/2 Mg are used to solve for the mass of the block. The key to solving the problem is understanding that the supports are not rigid, but elastic, and therefore exert Hookean forces to balance the weight of the board and block and keep the
whoareyou

Homework Statement

Two supports, made of the same material and initially of equal length, are 2.0m apart. A stiff
board with a length of 4.0m and a mass of 10 kg is placed on the supports, with one support
at the left end and the other at the midpoint. A block is placed on the board a distance of
0.50m from the left end. As a result the board is horizontal. The mass of the block is:

A. zero
B. 2.3kg
C. 6.6kg
D. 10 kg
E. 20 kg

Homework Equations

∑F = 0 = N1 + N2 - mg - Mg
∑τ = 0 = -1/2 N1 + 1/2 N2 - 1/2 Mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Those equations above are a result of a free body diagram I drew. However, if I begin to solve the equation for m, I end up with an expression in terms of N1 (ie. 2N1 = mg). Is there enough information in the question? By the way, I'm calculating torque from the position where the mass is placed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you post the drawing ?

I think the key to this problem is this: "supports made of the same material and initially of equal length". What that means is that they are not rigid, but elastic, so as they are loaded, they contract and exert Hookean force on the board; these forces and the weights due to the board and the block balance one another so that everything is horizontal.

Pretty bright, voko. I agree. So youhoo has his/het work cut out.
And yes, there is enough info in the question (provided you accept voko's deduction -- which I do)

So if the supports are made of the same material and initially of equal length, then that means that, since the board is horizontal, they compress by the same amount and as a result, apply equal forces?

Spot on.

Related to What is the Mass of the Block Placed on a Stiff Board in Static Equilibrium?

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which there is no net force or torque acting on an object, causing it to remain at rest or maintain a constant velocity.

2. How is static equilibrium different from dynamic equilibrium?

Dynamic equilibrium involves objects in motion, while static equilibrium involves objects at rest. In dynamic equilibrium, there may be a net force acting on the object, but it is balanced by other forces, resulting in a constant velocity.

3. What factors affect static equilibrium?

The factors that affect static equilibrium include the mass of the object, the force and direction of any external forces acting on the object, and the distance of the forces from the object's center of mass.

4. How do you solve a static equilibrium problem?

Solving a static equilibrium problem involves setting up equations based on the forces and torques acting on the object and solving for the unknown variables. It is important to accurately draw a free-body diagram and consider all the forces and torques acting on the object.

5. What is the significance of static equilibrium in real-world applications?

Static equilibrium is important for designing stable structures, such as buildings and bridges, and for understanding the forces acting on objects in physics and engineering. It is also used in fields such as biomechanics to analyze the forces on the human body in different positions or movements.