What is the magnitude of the force of the car on the truck?

In summary, the problem involves a 1100 kg car pushing a 1700 kg truck with a dead battery. The driver steps on the accelerator, causing the drive wheels of the car to push against the ground with a force of 4500N. The goal is to find the magnitude of the force of the car on the truck and the force of the truck on the car. By drawing free body diagrams and using the equation F=ma, the acceleration was found to be 1.607 m/s^2. After some trial and error, it was determined that the 4500N force is a forward force exerted at the back of the car. Using this information and the equation \Sigma{F} = ma
aligass2004

Homework Statement

A 1100 kg car pushes a 1700 kg truck that has a dead battery. When the driver steps on the accelerator, the drive wheels of the car push against the ground with a force of 4500N. a.) What is the magnitude of the force of the car on the truck? b.) What is the magnitude of the force of the truck on the car?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried drawing a free body diagram for this, but it didn't work out well.

Physics news on Phys.org
First do the freebody diagram of the truck+car system. That gives you acceleration...

Then do the freebody diagram of the car alone. that'll give the force of the truck on the car.

I got the acceleration to be 1.607 m/s^2. I tried using F=ma, but it didn't work.

aligass2004 said:
I got the acceleration to be 1.607 m/s^2. I tried using F=ma, but it didn't work.

The acceleration is correct. What equation did you get when you used F=ma for the car?

The number I got was 1767.7N

aligass2004 said:
The number I got was 1767.7N

That's not right. What are the forces acting on the car?

The forces acting on the car are weight, the normal force, and the force of the truck.

aligass2004 said:
The forces acting on the car are weight, the normal force, and the force of the truck.

You're missing one force. The main one.

I don't understand.

aligass2004 said:
I don't understand.

The 4500N.

Ok, so the normal force equal 4500N as well. So how do I go about finding the force of the truck on the car with all of that information?

aligass2004 said:
Ok, so the normal force equal 4500N as well. So how do I go about finding the force of the truck on the car with all of that information?

It's not the normal force... It is a forward force exerted at the back of the car... (it's the same force you used for the truck+car part).

Write out the F = ma equation for the car in the horizontal direction.

I am still confused.

aligass2004 said:
I am still confused.

There's a 4500N forward force at the back of the car... there's a backward force from the truck.

[tex]\Sigma{F} = ma[/tex]

[tex]4500 - F_{truck} = m_{car}a[/tex]

I got the answer to be 2732.3, but I still understand the forward force at the back of the car thing.

aligass2004 said:
I got the answer to be 2732.3, but I still understand the forward force at the back of the car thing.

How did you do the first part?

I found the acceleration.

aligass2004 said:
I found the acceleration.

Yes, how did you find the acceleration? You used the 4500N force... how did you use it... how did you know how to use it?

I used F=ma and manipulated the equation around to a=F/m. I don't know why I knew to use it though.

aligass2004 said:
I used F=ma and manipulated the equation around to a=F/m. I don't know why I knew to use it though.

Draw a picture... the 4500N force is pushing the car forward... and the car is pushing the truck forward...

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I was putting the 4500N as down. I see now. Wow, I feel completely stupid. Sorry about that.

aligass2004 said:
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I was putting the 4500N as down. I see now. Wow, I feel completely stupid. Sorry about that.

lol! That's ok. :smile:

Related to What is the magnitude of the force of the car on the truck?

1. What is the definition of magnitude in terms of forces?

Magnitude refers to the size or strength of a force. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) in the metric system.

2. How is the magnitude of a force calculated?

The magnitude of a force is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its acceleration. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. How does the magnitude of the force of the car on the truck affect their motion?

The magnitude of the force of the car on the truck directly impacts their motion. The greater the force, the greater the acceleration and the faster the objects will move. In contrast, a smaller force will result in slower motion.

4. Can the magnitude of the force of the car on the truck change?

Yes, the magnitude of the force of the car on the truck can change. This can happen if the mass or acceleration of either object changes, or if an external force is applied to the system.

5. How does the direction of the force affect its magnitude?

The direction of the force does not affect its magnitude. Magnitude only refers to the size or strength of the force, not its direction. However, the direction of the force can impact the overall motion of the objects involved.