What is the longest straw you could possibly drink from?

• Thread starter jumbogala
  • Start date
In summary, Borek says that if you want to suck water up a straw to a high height, you must assume zero pressure at the top of the water column.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

What is the longest vertical straw you could possibly drink from?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution says to use p = ρgd, but I don't understand why or how you can use it.

I have a suspicion p = 101 325 Pa (atmospheric pressure)
and ρ = 1000 kg/m^3, the density of water

And it actually gives the right answer, which is 10.3 m. I just don't understand why this works or even why you use that formula. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than give you the answer, this might be a rewarding exercise for you to work out. :-p

What you're trying to do (when deriving the equation), is set the pressure at the very base of the straw (caused by the column of water on top of it) equal to the atmospheric pressure.

This concept, by the way, is how standard barometers work. So it is useful.

Intermediate questions:
(a) What is the mass of the column of water in terms of density ρ, length of column d, and cross sectional area A?
(b) What is the weight of that column of water in terms of g, ρ, d and A?
(c) What pressure is caused at the base of the straw by the weight of the column (the base of the straw has a cross section area of A, by the way)?

Have phun! :cool:

[Edit: Allow me to make a correction for clarity. I said "...pressure at the very base of the straw," but what I meant to say, or should have said, was "...pressure at the very base of the water column, where this "base" is defined as the same height as the water surface in the water container from which the straw is drawing the water.]

Last edited:
Likes atyy
You need to think about how drinking through a straw works. Where does the force that propels the water up the straw come from?

Likes atyy
Part of the reason I was confused was that I thought the pressure at the top of the water would be the atmospheric pressure. So if you have a glass of water, the pressure at the bottom of the glass should be more than atmospheric pressure... shouldn't it?

I suppose the pressure at the top of the straw should be 0 though.

Anyway, mass of the water is ρDA, and its weight is ρDAg.

P = F/A, so pressure at base of straw is P = ρDAg / A = ρDg! Cool :)

I'm still confused why the pressure at the bottom of the glass is atmospheric pressure though.

Likes atyy
Actually 10.3m is not true - mouth muscles are not strong enough to suck that strong. So while this is kind of a theoretical limit of how far up water can be suck at the atmospheric pressure, it has nothing to do with the reality.

It is not the pressure at the bottom of the glass that counts, rather that at the water surface (outside the straw).

Likes atyy
jumbogala said:
Part of the reason I was confused was that I thought the pressure at the top of the water would be the atmospheric pressure. So if you have a glass of water, the pressure at the bottom of the glass should be more than atmospheric pressure... shouldn't it?

I suppose the pressure at the top of the straw should be 0 though.

Anyway, mass of the water is ?DA, and its weight is ?DAg.

P = F/A, so pressure at base of straw is P = ?DAg / A = ?Dg! Cool :)

I'm still confused why the pressure at the bottom of the glass is atmospheric pressure though.

Hello Jumbogala,

As Borek points out below, it is a theoretical limit. It assumes the "suction" device is so strong that it can create a complete vacuum at the top of the water (even continually sucking out any residual vapor pressure, before it has a chance to reach equilibrium). Once there is a complete vacuum at the top portion of the straw, there is no way to draw the water column any higher without increasing the pressure at the bottom of the column (such as increasing the atmospheric pressure, for example). So yes, to find how high the column of water can possibly rise, one must assume zero pressure at the top. :smile:

Borek said:
Actually 10.3m is not true - mouth muscles are not strong enough to suck that strong. So while this is kind of a theoretical limit of how far up water can be suck at the atmospheric pressure, it has nothing to do with the reality.
Hello Borek,

Yes, it is a theoretical limit. With that I agree. :-p But that doesn't, and shouldn't, keep physics students from discussing theoretical possibilities in the physics, restricting the discussion to the applicable physics, even if it might violate practical physiology. Examples such as Einstein's full size locomotive trains moving near the speed of light come to mind -- nothing to do with reality but still very useful as an analogy. Still, Einstein's analogies do have direct real-world applications for fast moving electrons and GPS/GLONASS satellites. Similarly, this drinking straw exercise has real-world applications for modeling barometers.

It is not the pressure at the bottom of the glass that counts, rather that at the water surface (outside the straw).

I agree completely. The bottom of the water column in question is at the same height as the surface of the water in the glass. This is the vertical point were the water in the column equals atmospheric pressure -- so we define this point as the bottom of the column. And this is true even if part of the straw sinks further down to say, the bottom of the non-empty glass. :cool:

Likes atyy

Related to What is the longest straw you could possibly drink from?

1. What is the longest straw that a human can physically drink from?

The longest straw that a human can physically drink from would depend on the individual's lung capacity and the strength of their sucking force. On average, the longest straw a person can comfortably drink from is about 18 inches. However, some people with larger lung capacity and stronger sucking force may be able to drink from longer straws.

2. Can a straw be too long to drink from?

Technically, there is no limit to the length of a straw that a person can drink from. However, as the straw gets longer, it becomes increasingly difficult to create enough suction to draw liquid up the length of the straw. Additionally, the weight of the liquid may become too heavy for the suction force to overcome, making it impossible to drink from a very long straw.

3. What is the longest straw ever used for drinking?

The longest straw ever used for drinking was created by the students of the Technical University of Denmark. It was 30 meters (98.4 feet) long and was used to drink beer from a barrel placed on the ground. However, this record has since been broken by a group in China who created a 36-meter (118 feet) long straw to drink milk tea.

4. How does the length of a straw affect the speed of drinking?

The length of a straw does not necessarily affect the speed of drinking. It is the diameter of the straw that has a greater impact on the speed of drinking. A wider straw allows for more liquid to pass through, resulting in a faster drinking speed. However, a longer straw may require more suction force to draw the liquid up, which could slow down the drinking process.

5. Is there a limit to how long a straw can be?

There is no specific limit to how long a straw can be. However, practical limitations such as creating enough suction force and overcoming the weight of the liquid may make it impossible to have an extremely long straw. Additionally, the longer the straw, the more difficult it becomes to transport and use for drinking. Therefore, most commercially available straws are not longer than 18 inches.