What is the Limits of Lorentz Transformation when (v/c->1)?.

In summary: But even if it is a boson, does that mean the Lorentz transformation still applies? Basically, yes. The first thing I did was to assume c=1, which I usually do, but I should have mentioned that! Otherwise my post is just too unclear. Thanks for catching that!
controlfreak
Is the limit for lorentz transformation when v/c -> 1 known?

or

Is there a proof which says that such a limit doesn't exist?

Please throw light on the above questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
First may be we should look at the mathematical possibility, then later ponder upon the physics significance and applicability.

controlfreak said:
Is the limit for lorentz transformation when v/c -> 1 known?

or

Is there a proof which says that such a limit doesn't exist?

Please throw light on the above questions.

Just look at the formula

x' = (x-vt)/sqrt(1-v^2)

Obviously there is no general limit as v-> 1. A limit can only exist if the limit as v->1 of x-vt is zero.

[add]
Let v=1-eps. Then we have

(x-vt) / sqrt(1-(1-eps)^2) =
(x-vt) / sqrt(eps)sqrt(2-eps)

Taking the limit as eps goes to zero we have

(x-vt) / (sqrt(2)(sqrt(eps)))

So there will be no limit if x-vt is proportional to eps, because we would have
k*eps/sqrt(eps), which goes to infinity.

So it takes a highly unusual set of circumstances for the limit to exist. Similar concerns apply for the other part of the Loerntz transform.

Last edited:
pervect said:
Just look at the formula

x' = (x-vt)/sqrt(1-v^2)

Obviously there is no general limit as v-> 1. A limit can only exist if the limit as v->1 of x-vt is zero.

Thanks Pervect. Just a clarification.

I suppose you mean the formula is:

x' = (x-vt)/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)

and What you intend to say is when v/c->1, a limit will eixts only is x-vt is zero. Right?

So limits for lorentz transformation might hold good for x coordinates where x-vt=0. And as we are taking the case where v->c. So in a way we can extend the statement to say that the limit will exist for coordinates where x-ct=0 or where x=ct and not for any point where x>ct or x<ct.

If so what is that limit for x' when x=ct? Is it 0?

Infact the same is true for the transformation of time coordinates, the limits for t' will exists only when x=ct. That is when the numerator is zero like the denominator.

If so what is that limit for t' when x=ct? Is it 0?

What is the physical significance of the lorentz transformation limit (when v/c->1) existing when x=ct (if it exists?) and the significance of the limit not existing
when x <> ct.

controlfreak said:
Thanks Pervect. Just a clarification.

I suppose you mean the formula is:

x' = (x-vt)/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)

and What you intend to say is when v/c->1, a limit will eixts only is x-vt is zero. Right?

Basically, yes. The first thing I did was to assume c=1, which I usually do, but I should have mentioned that! Otherwise my post is just too unclear.

So I'll mention that I'm assuming c=1 now, belatedly.

The question is not only does x-vt go to zero in the limit as v/c->1 (or, giving my assumption that c=1, the limit as v->1), but how fast x-vt goes to zero. x-vt is a function of v, after all. If x and t are not functions of v, then by setting v = 1-eps

(x-vt) will be (x-(1-eps)*t) = (x-t) + eps*t

So if x and t are not a function of v (which is likely), the only case where we will have a limit is if x-t = 0. In that case the limit IS defined (I screwed up), but equal to zero. The limit of (eps/sqrt(eps)) exists as eps->0, it's sqrt(eps), which is zero. Note that physically we are really interested in the limit as eps-> 0+, i.e. epsilon approaches zero while remaninig positive.

controlfreak said:
What is the physical significance of the lorentz transformation limit (when v/c->1) existing when x=ct (if it exists?) and the significance of the limit not existing
when x <> ct.

I don't see a lot of physical significance - one might say something vague like "photons don't have a rest frame (you can't do a lorentz transform with v=c, nor can you take the limit as v->c in general), but even a photon can tell if it's in the same spot as another photon.

pervect said:
but even a photon can tell if it's in the same spot as another photon.

Yes? Photons are bosons, you know. Remember Bose-Einstein condensation?

Bose-Einstein condensates seems to be quite a leap from what we were talking about, but it brings up an interesting question. Are all particles which travel at 'c' bosons?

The neutrino used to be a good candidate for a fermion that traveled at 'c', but people now think it has mass, so it travels a hair less than 'c'.

Related to What is the Limits of Lorentz Transformation when (v/c->1)?.

1. What is the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between space and time in special relativity. It accounts for the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds.

2. What is the significance of the speed of light in the Lorentz Transformation?

The speed of light, denoted as "c", is a fundamental constant in the Lorentz Transformation. It represents the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe and is used to calculate the effects of high speeds on space and time.

3. What happens to the Lorentz Transformation when v/c approaches 1?

As v/c approaches 1, the effects of time dilation and length contraction become more significant. This means that the relative differences in time and space between two frames of reference moving at high speeds become more pronounced.

4. Is there a limit to the Lorentz Transformation?

Yes, the Lorentz Transformation has a theoretical limit of v/c reaching 1. At this point, the effects of time dilation and length contraction become infinite, making it impossible to accurately describe the relationship between space and time using the formula.

5. What are the implications of the limit of the Lorentz Transformation?

The limit of the Lorentz Transformation has significant implications for our understanding of the universe at high speeds. It suggests that the laws of physics as we know them may break down at speeds approaching the speed of light, and alternative theories, such as quantum mechanics, may be needed to fully explain the behavior of objects in these extreme conditions.