What is the Kinematics Problem for a California Condor Carrying Carrion?

In summary, a California Condor approaches its nest with carrion in its beak, achieving a momentary upward velocity of 12.8 m/s. However, the carrion falls from its mouth and hits a cliff outcropping 32.1 m below. Using the equations vf^2=v0^2+2ax and choosing a positive direction, the speed of the carrion upon hitting the outcropping can be determined.
yjstudent
A California Condor is approaching its nest with a large chunk of carrion in its beak. As it approaches, it makes an upward swoop, achieving a momentary upward velocity of 12.8 m/s when the carrion falls from its mouth, hitting a cliff outcropping 32.1 m below. Determine the speed of the carrion upon hitting the outcropping.

This is a problem from Physics Classroom that I have to solve for AP Physics summer homework. I've never done physics before, so I'm finding it hard to even do basic problems.

Help please?

I've tried setting v0=12.8, x=32.1, a=g=9.8 and plugging it into vf^2=v0^2+2ax.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the carrion is set loose, which way is it going? Up or down? How does gravity affect this?

The carrion goes down. I think that gravity makes it go down faster?

yjstudent said:
The carrion goes down.

No. Read the description. Just before the carrion is released the entire system bird + carrion is going UP.

I think that gravity makes it go down faster?

First it will need to slow it to a (momentary) halt.

What does this all mean with regard to the signs of [itex]v_0[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex]?

Opposite signs? Since v0 goes up and g goes down

Exactly! Now you need to choose a positive direction - either up or down - and that should fix the signs for all the quantities (the distance, the velocity, and the acceleration), so you will be able to write down the equations.

Yay thanks I got the answer..

Related to What is the Kinematics Problem for a California Condor Carrying Carrion?

What is 1-D kinematics?

1-D kinematics, also known as one-dimensional kinematics, is a branch of classical mechanics that deals with the motion of objects along a straight line. It involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object without considering the causes of its motion.

What are the basic equations used in 1-D kinematics?

The basic equations used in 1-D kinematics are displacement (Δx = xf - xi), average velocity (v = Δx/Δt), average acceleration (a = Δv/Δt), and motion equations (xf = xi + vit + 1/2at² and vf² = vi² + 2a(Δx)). These equations can be used to solve various types of 1-D kinematics problems.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity. This means that velocity includes both the magnitude (speed) and direction of an object's motion.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity gives an overall idea of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity gives information about an object's motion at a specific instant.

How do we graph 1-D kinematics problems?

To graph 1-D kinematics problems, we plot the position of an object (y-axis) against time (x-axis). The slope of the graph represents the object's velocity, while the slope of the tangent to the curve at a specific point represents the object's instantaneous velocity. The area under the curve represents the object's displacement.