What is the Joint Distribution for a Bivariate Normal and Logistic Distribution?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Jacobians and bivariate distributions in finding joint probabilities and expected values. The first case involves finding the joint f(x,y) and E(XY) for a univariate normal distribution with a transformation function for Y. The second case extends to bivariate normal distributions with a more complex transformation function for Y. The individual is seeking suggestions on how to proceed with finding the joint probability and expected value in both cases.
Hejdun
Hi!

I would be really happy to receive some help. I have tried using Jacobians and so on, but
I am stuck.

I'll start with the univariate case. Let X ~ N(μ,σ) and Y = exp(X)/(1+exp(X)). What is the joint f(x,y)? According to intuition fy|x = 1, but since we are dealing with continuous distributions I am not sure.

The bivariate case is an extension. Let X1, X2 be bivariate normal and
Y = exp(γ1*X1 + γ2*X2)/(1 + exp(γ1*X1 + γ2*X2) ), where the gammas are just
constants. Now I am looking for f(x1,x2,y). Any suggestions of how to proceed at least?

/H

Physics news on Phys.org
Hejdun said:
Hi!

I would be really happy to receive some help. I have tried using Jacobians and so on, but
I am stuck.

I'll start with the univariate case. Let X ~ N(μ,σ) and Y = exp(X)/(1+exp(X)). What is the joint f(x,y)? According to intuition fy|x = 1, but since we are dealing with continuous distributions I am not sure.

The bivariate case is an extension. Let X1, X2 be bivariate normal and
Y = exp(γ1*X1 + γ2*X2)/(1 + exp(γ1*X1 + γ2*X2) ), where the gammas are just
constants. Now I am looking for f(x1,x2,y). Any suggestions of how to proceed at least?

/H

Just to clarify the first case. I actually want to find the joint f(x,y) and then E(XY). Since Y=g(X), then f(x, g(x)) and E(XY)= E(Xg(X)). We know that Pr(Y=exp(x)/(1 + exp(x))) = 1, but I am not sure if then can write fy|x = 1 (all probability mass concentrated in one point). If that is the case, then f(x,y) = f(x) and E(XY) = ∫∫xyf(x)dxdy = ∫xexp(x)/(1+exp(x))f(x)dx which can easily be calculated numerically. Am I on the right track?

The bivariate case is more complicated but maybe that can be solved as well. :)

/H

Related to What is the Joint Distribution for a Bivariate Normal and Logistic Distribution?

1. What is the difference between normal and logistic joints?

The main difference between normal and logistic joints is the type of distribution they follow. Normal joints follow a bell-shaped curve and are symmetrical, while logistic joints follow an S-shaped curve and have a long tail on one side.

2. How do joint models combine normal and logistic distributions?

Joint models combine normal and logistic distributions by using a combination of their probability density functions. These models use a weighting factor to determine the contribution of each distribution to the overall joint distribution.

3. What types of data are suitable for joint models?

Joint models are suitable for data that exhibit both continuous and categorical variables. This includes data from medical, social sciences, and marketing fields.

4. How are joint models useful in data analysis?

Joint models are useful in data analysis as they allow for a more comprehensive understanding of the relationship between variables. They can also help in making predictions and identifying patterns that may not be evident when analyzing individual variables.

5. What are the limitations of joint models?

One limitation of joint models is that they assume a linear relationship between the variables. They also require large sample sizes to accurately estimate the parameters. Additionally, joint models may be sensitive to outliers and may not perform well with highly skewed data.