What is the issue with the RSS feed for the astronomy photo of the day?

• Thread starter TheStatutoryApe
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a connection issue with a website and the hope for it to be fixed soon. The individuals also express concern for a coworker who will be working during the potential outage. They also mention a broken RSS feed, specifically for the astronomy photo of the day.
TheStatutoryApe
What is this?
Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.jwz.org/cheesegrater/RSS/apod.rss): failed to open stream: Connection refused in /includes/init.php(292) : eval()'d code on line 218

Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.jwz.org/cheesegrater/RSS/apod.rss): failed to open stream: Connection refused in /includes/init.php(292) : eval()'d code on line 218

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It showed up on the first screen I got to open after another short "outage." Looks like something broke between this site and Greg's Pampered Chef site. :smile: Cheesegraters! :smile: It seems to be gone again though. I really hope whatever Greg does tomorrow night fixes these outages! I don't know how much longer I can take it! :cry:

Unfortunate enough for me I will be working the graveyard shift tomorrow night when PF will be down.:frown:
I hope things go smoothely and it's back up quick.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Unfortunate enough for me I will be working the graveyard shift tomorrow night when PF will be down.:frown:
I hope things go smoothely and it's back up quick.
Oh no! Are we going to have to scrape you off the walls at the end of the night? Please be careful, we don't want you to die of boredom! :frown:

That rss is for the astronomy photo of the day on the right side bar. Not sure why it crapped out. It's fine now though :)

Related to What is the issue with the RSS feed for the astronomy photo of the day?

Question 1: What is "Warning: file_get_contents"?

"Warning: file_get_contents" is an error message that can appear when using the PHP function file_get_contents(). This function is used to read a file into a string, but the error message indicates that there was a problem with the function.

Question 2: Why does "Warning: file_get_contents" occur?

"Warning: file_get_contents" can occur for a few different reasons. It can happen if the file being read does not exist or if there are permissions issues with the file. It can also occur if there is a problem with the URL being used to retrieve the file.

Question 3: How can I fix "Warning: file_get_contents"?

The best way to fix "Warning: file_get_contents" is to check the file or URL being used and make sure it is correct and accessible. If the file exists and the URL is correct, then the issue may be with the server or with the permissions of the file. In that case, it may be necessary to contact a web developer or server administrator for assistance.

Question 4: Can "Warning: file_get_contents" be ignored?

It is not recommended to ignore "Warning: file_get_contents" as it usually indicates that there is a problem with the function or the file being read. Ignoring the warning could lead to further issues with the application or website.

Question 5: Is there an alternative to using file_get_contents()?

Yes, there are alternative functions that can be used to read a file into a string, such as fopen() or cURL. These functions may have different capabilities and may not produce the same error message as file_get_contents(). It is important to choose the appropriate function for the specific use case.