What is the Integral Being Approximated by the Given Riemann Sum?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about which integral the given example is a Riemann sum approximation for. The options given are A. Integral 0 to 1 sqrt(x/30), B. Integral 0 to 1 sqrt(x), C. (1/30) Integral 0 to 30 sqrt(x), D. (1/30) Integral 0 to 1 sqrt(x), and E. (1/30) Integral 0 to 1 sqrt(x/30). The conversation also includes some tips on how to approach the question, such as graphing the terms and considering what each term means.
turbokaz

Homework Statement

For which integral, is the below example, a Riemann sum approximation.?
The example is: 1/30( sqrt(1/30) + sqrt(2/30) + sqrt(3/30)+...+sqrt(30/30))
A. Integral 0 to 1 sqrt(x/30)
B. Integral 0 to 1 sqrt(x)
C. (1/30) Integral 0 to 30 sqrt(x)
D. (1/30) Integral 0 to 1 sqrt(x)
E. (1/30) Integral 0 to 1 sqrt(x/30)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I don't have a clue on how to ascertain this question. I understand that Riemann sums are basically a crude estimation of the area under a curve using rectangles. Can someone tell me which one is right and say why.

Physics news on Phys.org
try writing out what the terms look like and see if you can figure out what it looks like. think about what each term means. distribute the 1/30. and think how reimann sums are constructed. see if that helps.

What I meant in my previous post was to actually graph your problem. Then superimpose the curve over it. It should be pretty obvious at that point what you're approximating.

Related to What is the Integral Being Approximated by the Given Riemann Sum?

What is a Riemann Sum?

A Riemann Sum is a method for approximating the area under a curve by dividing the region into smaller rectangles and summing up their individual areas.

What is the purpose of using Riemann Sums?

Riemann Sums are used to estimate the total area under a curve when the exact value cannot be determined analytically. They are also used in the definition of integrals.

How is a Riemann Sum calculated?

A Riemann Sum is calculated by dividing the region under the curve into n equally sized rectangles and taking the sum of their individual areas. The width of each rectangle is determined by the size of the intervals on the x-axis, and the height is determined by the function at specific points within each interval.

What is the relationship between Riemann Sums and integrals?

Riemann Sums are used to define integrals, which represent the exact area under a curve. As the number of rectangles in a Riemann Sum approaches infinity, the approximation becomes more accurate and approaches the value of the integral.

How is the accuracy of a Riemann Sum improved?

The accuracy of a Riemann Sum can be improved by increasing the number of rectangles used in the approximation, or by using more advanced techniques such as the Trapezoidal Rule or Simpson's Rule.