What is the inductive step for proving mathematical induction?

In summary: No, your right side becomes:(k-1)2^{k+1}+2+(k+1)2^{k+1}Now, see if you can show that this is:((k+1)-1)2^{(k+1)+1}+2
racket
Hey!

I've just started to learn some mathematical induction and it's proving quite tricky. Hopefully someone could help me out a little with my questions!

I don't know how to format question on this forum but I'll try my best to accurately represent it:

n
\(\displaystyle sigma\) i * 2^i = (n-1) * (2^n+1) + 2
i=1

Now, I know that I have to prove for the base case, which I take it to be 0. If I do so, it holds true however I don't know what the meaning of i=1 under the sigma represents. Does that mean the base case must equal 1? If so it doesn't work out I think.

If anyone could help me figure out this one problem, that'd be awesome!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this what you are trying to prove?

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{i = 1}^n{\left( i \cdot 2^i \right) } = \left( n -1 \right)\, 2^{n + 1} + 2 \end{align*}[/tex]

Yes that's exactly what I'm trying to prove, thanks for formatting it for me!

racket said:
Hey!

I've just started to learn some mathematical induction and it's proving quite tricky. Hopefully someone could help me out a little with my questions!

I don't know how to format question on this forum but I'll try my best to accurately represent it:

n
i=1

Now, I know that I have to prove for the base case, which I take it to be 0. If I do so, it holds true however I don't know what the meaning of i=1 under the sigma represents. Does that mean the base case must equal 1? If so it doesn't work out I think.

Thank you!

If you take \(\displaystyle n=0\) as the base case the sum on the left hand side is an empty sum and so equal to zero, as is the right hand side. Which will work as a base case. However you will probably be better off using \(\displaystyle n=1\) as your base case and avoid the degenerate sum you get when \(\displaystyle n=0\).

Using \(\displaystyle n=1\) as a base case you will, when you have proven the inductive step, have proven the result for every \(\displaystyle n\ge 1\), taking \(\displaystyle n=0\) as a base case you will when you have proven the inductive step have proven the result for every \(\displaystyle n\ge 0\)

When I do that with the base case as 1 I get:

1 * 2^1 = (1 -1) * (2^n+1) + 2

2 = 2

Okay so, here's my work so far:

I'm assuming n = m when m >= 1

So n + 1.

And (m - 1) * (2^m+1) + 2 = m(2^m+2) + 2

Now I'm stuck but am I on the right track?

racket said:
Hey!

n
i=1

Thank you!

A general formula for...

$\displaystyle S_{n} = \sum_{k=1}^{n} k\ x^{k}\ (1)$

... can be found as follows. You start from the well known...

$\displaystyle g(x)= \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k} = \frac{1 - x^{n+1}}{1 - x}\ (2)$

... and from (2) You derive...

$\displaystyle S_{n} = x\ \frac{d}{d x} g(x) = \frac{x}{(1 - x)^{2}} - (n-1)\ \frac{x^{n+1}}{1 - x}\ (3)$

Of course for x=2 You obtain...

$\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n} k\ 2^{k} = 2 + (n-1)\ 2^{n+1}\ (4)$

... and of course all that doesn't use mathematical induction... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

After having shown the base case $P_1$ is true, I would next state the induction hypothesis $P_k$:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^k\left( i\cdot2^i \right)=(k-1)2^{k+1}+2\)

As the inductive step, try adding \(\displaystyle (k+1)2^{k+1}\) to both sides. You want to be able to arrange the result as $P_{k+1}$:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}\left( i\cdot2^i \right)=((k+1)-1)2^{(k+1)+1}+2\)

Once you've done this, then your proof by induction will be complete.

Once I've done that, would I get:

k(2^k+2) + 2

On the right side?

How do I complete the proof from this point?

racket said:
Once I've done that, would I get:

k(2^k+2) + 2

On the right side?

How do I complete the proof from this point?

No, your right side becomes:

\(\displaystyle (k-1)2^{k+1}+2+(k+1)2^{k+1}\)

Now, see if you can show that this is:

\(\displaystyle ((k+1)-1)2^{(k+1)+1}+2\)

Ah I'm sorry this is still confusing to me. Why exactly do you add (k+1)2^k+1 to both sides? On the left side do you change the i's to k's ?

racket said:
Ah I'm sorry this is still confusing to me. Why exactly do you add (k+1)2^k+1 to both sides? On the left side do you change the i's to k's ?

Using the inductive step I gave immediately makes the left side what it needs to be. Consider:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=a}^n\left(f(k) \right)+f(n+1)=\sum_{k=a}^{n+1}\left(f(k) \right)\)

And no, there is no need to change the index of summation.

I get it! Thank you, it's early and for some reason I didn't see it. Do you mind explaining one more thing? Why exactly does the inductive step make the left side what it's needed to be? Is that the same for all questions like this one?

racket said:
I get it! Thank you, it's early and for some reason I didn't see it. Do you mind explaining one more thing? Why exactly does the inductive step make the left side what it's needed to be? Is that the same for all questions like this one?

Usually, if the left side of the induction hypothesis is a sum, then adding what would be the next term to both sides is a good inductive step. If the left side is a product, the you would want to multiply both sides by what would be the next term.

In many cases, you want to look at the left side and consider what you can do to it to make it what you need. This will be your inductive step. After demonstrating the base case is true, you then state the induction hypothesis $P_k$. Then, you want to use legal algebraic operations to derive from this $P_{k+1}$.

Related to What is the inductive step for proving mathematical induction?

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to prove that a statement holds true for all natural numbers (or a subset of natural numbers). It involves proving a base case (usually n=1) and then showing that if the statement holds true for n=k, it also holds true for n=k+1.

2. When is mathematical induction used?

Mathematical induction is typically used to prove statements about natural numbers, such as formulas or inequalities. It is also used in computer science and other areas of mathematics to prove the correctness of algorithms.

3. What is the difference between weak induction and strong induction?

In weak induction, we assume that the statement holds true for n=k and then prove that it also holds true for n=k+1. In strong induction, we assume that the statement holds true for all values up to n=k and then prove that it also holds true for n=k+1. Strong induction is a more powerful form of mathematical induction.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction?

One common mistake is assuming that the statement holds true for n=k without actually proving it. Another mistake is assuming that the statement holds true for all values up to n=k without actually proving it. It is important to carefully follow the steps of mathematical induction and provide a clear and complete proof for each case.

5. Can mathematical induction be used to prove any statement?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements about natural numbers. It cannot be used for statements involving real or complex numbers, as they are not discrete and do not have a defined successor. It also cannot be used for statements about infinite sets or non-mathematical concepts.