What is the height of the ice above water level in each glass?

That's why when you put ice in water, it floats. The ice has a density of .92 grams per cubic centimeter, and it has displaced an amount of water that weighs .92 grams per cubic centimeter, and that's the condition for floating. it's a balance between the force of gravity on the object and the force of the water pushing back up on the object.In summary, the problem is asking for the height of ice above the water level in two identical glasses filled with fresh water and salt water, respectively. Using Archimedes' principle, the density of the water and ice can be used to determine the displacement needed for the ice to float. The height of the ice above the water level is determined by the amount
gc33550

Homework Statement

Two Identical glasses are filled to the same level. One is filled with fresh water (density=1 gm/cm^3) and the other with salt water (density=1.025g/cm^3) Into each glass a cube of ice (density= 0.92 gm/cm^3) one cm on each side is placed. What is the height of the ice above water level in each glass?

Homework Equations

Maybe Archimedes' principal? We never really went over this in class

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea... Do we subtract the densities to get the cm of displacement? Like the ice in freshwater is .08 becase 1-.92=.08? I am truly lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
gc33550 said:

Homework Statement

Two Identical glasses are filled to the same level. One is filled with fresh water (density=1 gm/cm^3) and the other with salt water (density=1.025g/cm^3) Into each glass a cube of ice (density= 0.92 gm/cm^3) one cm on each side is placed. What is the height of the ice above water level in each glass?

Homework Equations

Maybe Archimedes' principal? We never really went over this in class

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea... Do we subtract the densities to get the cm of displacement? Like the ice in freshwater is .08 becase 1-.92=.08? I am truly lost.

Welcome to PF.

That's pretty much it ... for plain water.

Now what about the salt water?

Well if that were the case for the freshwater I would assume it to be the same for the salt water. so 1.025-.92=.105? It just seems to simple for the final exam I suppose. But if this is correct can you offer any explanation why we simply subtract the densities?

gc33550 said:
Well if that were the case for the freshwater I would assume it to be the same for the salt water. so 1.025-.92=.105? It just seems to simple for the final exam I suppose. But if this is correct can you offer any explanation why we simply subtract the densities?

Salt water is a little different. Your first result was a consequence of the fact that fresh water was given as a density of unity.

Buoyancy is the amount of weight displaced isn't it? (I'm letting gravity cancel out here.) So all the cube needs to displace is .92g . The mass that the cube could displace and be even would be 1.025 g. So the percentage of the cube that will be poking out will be .92/1.025 subtracted from 1 won't it?

Well that does give me an answer on the exam but I don't have an answer key and I don't really understand why I suppose... Maybe I just don't really understand bouyancy

Here is a lecture that covers it in a little more detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngABxM7jl0Q

Ok so that makes a bit more sense. But it is the Mass of the object-the apparent mass of the object submerged=the density of water*volume of the object... So how does this relate to my problem? are we solving for the mass of the object submerged? giving us mass (which in this case would be .92) divided by the density of the saltwater*volume of the object (which is one)?

You are solving for the displacement of the water necessary to hold up the object. The cube weighs .92 grams as ice. How much liquid water does it need to displace in order to provide .92 grams of buoyant force? Once that amount of water is displaced, then it is in equilibrium and it is floating.

Related to What is the height of the ice above water level in each glass?

1. How does the bouyancy of ice in water work?

The bouyancy of ice in water is based on Archimedes' principle, which states that the upward force on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. In the case of ice in water, the ice is less dense than water and therefore displaces an amount of water that is equal to its weight. This results in an upward force that is greater than the weight of the ice, causing it to float.

2. Does the temperature of the water affect the bouyancy of ice?

Yes, the temperature of the water does affect the bouyancy of ice. As water gets colder, it becomes more dense, which means that ice will displace a smaller volume of water and therefore have less bouyancy. This is why ice will sink in very cold water, whereas it will float in warmer water.

3. How does the shape of the ice affect its bouyancy in water?

The shape of the ice does not have a significant impact on its bouyancy in water. As long as the ice is less dense than water and displaces an amount of water equal to its weight, it will float. However, a larger surface area of ice will displace more water and therefore have greater bouyancy compared to a smaller piece of ice of the same weight.

4. What factors can affect the bouyancy of ice in water?

The bouyancy of ice in water can be affected by various factors, including the temperature and salinity of the water, the size and shape of the ice, and the density of the ice. Other external forces such as waves and currents can also impact the bouyancy of ice in water.

5. Can ice ever sink in water?

Yes, ice can sink in water under certain conditions. As mentioned before, if the water is very cold and therefore more dense than the ice, the ice will sink. Additionally, if the weight of the ice is greater than the weight of the water it displaces, it will also sink. This can happen if the ice contains impurities or has a higher density than normal due to compression or other factors.