What is the heat removal in J/min

• Thread starter Chad Jensen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the rate of heat absorption by an air conditioner with an EER of 8.3 operating at 1800 W can be calculated using the equation H/P=EER. Using this equation, the rate of heat absorption is found to be 262,695 J/min. The answer may need to be in scientific notation, which would be 2.63*10^5 J/min.
Chad Jensen

Homework Statement

What is H, the rate of heat absorbtion by an air conditioner with an EER of 8.3 that operates at 1800 W? Recall that 1Btu=1055J. Express your answer in joules per minute.

Homework Equations

H/P=EER

The Attempt at a Solution

H=EER*P
H=(8.3 BTU/HR/W)*(1800 W)
H=(14,940 BTU / hr)*(1055 J / 1 BTU)*(1 hr / 60 min) = 262,695 J/min
This is wrong and I am not sure why. I thought maybe I was using the wrong number of sig figs, so I tried 260,000 J/min and 263,000 J/min. Anybody that can help me see what I am doing wrong, I would very much appreciate it.
Thank you
Chad

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps leave out the comma ? I get same as you ...

I put the comma in for clarity when I posted to the forum. I didn't use one when I input the answer. I just thought maybe I missed something but it doesn't sound like I did. Thank you

The answer was correct, but for some reason it wanted it in scientific notation. 2.63*105 It has never mattered before if it was scientific or regular, it must just have been a fluke. Thank you

Likes BvU

Related to What is the heat removal in J/min

1. What is the definition of heat removal?

Heat removal refers to the process of transferring thermal energy or heat from one object or system to another. It is a fundamental aspect of thermodynamics and plays a crucial role in various scientific and engineering processes.

2. What is the unit of measurement for heat removal?

The unit of measurement for heat removal is Joules per minute (J/min). This unit is commonly used in scientific and engineering calculations to quantify the rate at which heat is transferred.

3. How is heat removal calculated?

Heat removal can be calculated using the formula Q/t, where Q represents the amount of heat transferred and t represents the time taken for the heat transfer to occur. This formula is also known as the heat transfer rate equation.

4. What factors affect heat removal?

The rate of heat removal can be affected by various factors, including the temperature difference between the objects or systems involved, the thermal conductivity of the materials, and the surface area available for heat transfer.

5. What are some practical applications of heat removal?

Heat removal has numerous practical applications, such as refrigeration, air conditioning, and heat exchangers. It is also essential in various industrial processes, such as power generation, chemical reactions, and material processing.