What is the growth rate of these sequences?

In summary, The mark scheme for the given problem consists of four values: 2, 2, 3, and 3. For part a) ii), the sequence involves integers up to n2/2. For part a) i), the growth rate appears to be 5n, but the calculation for this is not provided. Part b) i) involves showing that the equation for n=3 and n=4 results in a majority of positive values, but it is unclear how to prove this for all n mathematically. For part b) ii), the function is replaced by a root and n5n, but it is unclear how to handle this with limited knowledge of growth rates of sequences. Finally, in
Ian_Brooks

Homework Statement

20104302313386340826601825012509933.jpg

Homework Equations

The mark scheme is 2, 2, 3, 3

For a) ii), it's a sequence of integers up to the floor of n2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

We haven't done growth rates of sequences, only of equations. a) i) looks like the growth rate would be 5n, but I don't know how to show the calculation of that

a) ii) difference between the differences is one, so there's an n2 in the term equation. That's all I can figure out.. it seems a bit trivial but would I plug in n2 to the final term, getting a quartic growth? How would I explain this properly to answer the question?

b) i) f(n) > 0, and I get to the point of showing that the equations for n=3 and n=4 etc have xn gives a sum of f and previous xn values, making the result have a majority of positives ( f(n) >0 ) but I'm having trouble showing that this is true for all n, mathematically. I can't just say "as n continues, the value for x > 0 since it's a sum of f(n) values, which are all positive" after only writing the value of x3 and x4. Also, I don't think this is true. I need to be able to show that this is a positively growing function. I don't know if the sequence of numbers in f(n) is increasing or decreasing either

b) ii) The function part is replaced by the root and the n5n, and again, we haven't done growth rates of sequences in class, only of equations. Do I turn this into a explicit form of the sequence? We haven't worked with fractional powers, so I don't know how to approach this method either. Our classes are really unfair: metaphorically; they expect us to write essays only after knowing the alphabet, no grammar is taught.

Physics news on Phys.org
a1) If you divid e a_n by 5^(n-1) what is the growth rate of the quotient?
a2) it's not difficult to find an exact formula for 1+2+3+...+n. you can substitute floor(x/10) in that.

b1) try to prove a much stronger statement about the growth rate of x_n by induction

Related to What is the growth rate of these sequences?

What is growth rate?

Growth rate refers to the speed at which an organism or population increases in size over a certain period of time.

How is growth rate measured?

Growth rate is typically measured by calculating the change in size or number of individuals over a specific time period. This can be done by taking measurements of the organism at regular intervals and using mathematical formulas to determine the rate of change.

What factors can affect growth rate?

Growth rate can be affected by a variety of factors, including environmental conditions such as temperature, availability of resources, and competition with other organisms. Genetic factors and individual health can also play a role in growth rate.

What is induction in relation to growth?

In biology, induction refers to the process by which a stimulus or external factor causes a specific response or change in an organism. In relation to growth, induction can refer to the activation of certain genes or developmental pathways that lead to increased growth rate.

How can induction be manipulated to influence growth rate?

Induction can be manipulated through various methods such as altering environmental conditions, applying specific hormones or chemicals, or using genetic engineering techniques. By manipulating induction, scientists can potentially influence the growth rate of organisms for various purposes, such as increasing crop yield or promoting tissue regeneration.