What is the growth on metal railings and how can it be removed?

• Thread starter Suraj M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Growth
In summary, the conversation is about the discovery of insect eggs on stalks on window railings. The person is seeking help to identify the insect responsible for the eggs, but they mention that it could be a type of Magnetotactic bacteria. The other person suggests it could be Chrysopidae, but acknowledges that there could be other insects with similar eggs. The conversation ends with the person providing the approximate length of the stalks (1 cm).
Suraj M
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm not able to identify this, i found it on my window railings.
Could you help me out.
IMG550.jpg

Also, they are attached firmly to the railings, i couldn't blow them away, i tried pulling out a few the white parts comes off easily, but the stalk(if i can call it so) is hard to pull out, by hard i mean, there is some, more than expected resistance, but doable. A bit slippery also.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start.
i do know about bacteria that can grow on metal- Magnetotactic bacteria.
But nothing about these kind.
Thank you in advance.:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Insect eggs on stalks. Not uncommon.

Which insect?

Suraj M said:
Which insect?

You ARE aware of the fact it depends on where you live (and I guess you are not my neighbor)?

Ok, i thought its just specific to a particular insect.

How long are these stalks?

1 cm approx

Last edited:

Related to What is the growth on metal railings and how can it be removed?

What causes metal/steel to grow?

The growth on metal/steel is often caused by a process called metal oxidation, where the metal reacts with oxygen in the surrounding environment. This can also be accelerated by exposure to moisture, acids, or other corrosive substances.

What are the effects of growth on metal/steel?

The growth on metal/steel can weaken the structural integrity of the material, making it more prone to corrosion and potentially leading to structural failure. It can also affect the appearance and smoothness of the surface, making it less visually appealing.

How can growth on metal/steel be prevented?

To prevent growth on metal/steel, it is important to keep the material clean and dry, as moisture and dirt can accelerate the oxidation process. Protective coatings, such as paint or varnish, can also be applied to the surface to create a barrier between the metal and the surrounding environment.

Can growth on metal/steel be reversed?

In most cases, growth on metal/steel cannot be reversed. However, if caught early, the growth can be removed through mechanical or chemical means. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain metal/steel surfaces to prevent growth from becoming too severe.

Are there any health risks associated with growth on metal/steel?

In some cases, the growth on metal/steel can release harmful chemicals or particles into the air, especially if it is disturbed or removed. It is important to wear protective gear and follow safety protocols when dealing with growth on metal/steel to prevent any potential health risks.