What is the Growth Constant and World Population at Any Time?

• Thread starter brad sue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Growth
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the world population and its growth rate. The participants discuss different equations and assumptions, with one person mentioning a potential error in the problem. The correct growth rate is disputed, with the teacher giving a different value than what the student calculated. The conversation concludes with a reminder to use a calculator and a suggestion to ask the teacher for clarification.
brad sue
Hi, I don't know what I am doing wrong in this problem:

In 1980 the world population was approximately 4.5 billion and in the year 2000 it was approximately 6 billion. Assume that the world population at each time t increases at a rate proprtional to the population at time t. Measure t in year after 1980.
Find the growth constant and give the world population at any time t.

What I did is I set the year 1980 as reference.A(t=0)= Ao=4.5
A(20)=6.

we know that A(t)=Ao*er*t. (r =rate)
so I get 6=A(t)=4.5*er*20.
then I solve for r. I found r=.014.
The solution the teacher not is r=.0231

Can someone please tell me what I missed?
Thank you
B

Physics news on Phys.org
forgive me for not answering your question. 9i am sure you can answer it yourself witha calculator.

the main thing wrong with yo0ur problem is the incorrect aassumption that population satisfiesd the de P' = cP. this is =easily discredited by looking at population figures for the last 200 years or so.

more accxurate is the "logistic" equation P' = cP(1 - P/N).

in this model the population levels off as t goes to infinity, obviously more believable since the Earth is finite. with your model the people of the Earth would be literally standing on each others shoulders in a few hundred years.

Mathwonk, while everything you say is true, it won't help brad sue!

The problem as stated said " Assume that the world population at each time t increases at a rate proprtional to the population at time t."- a reasonable simplification of what really happens.

brad sue, assuming the problem really is as you stated, then r= 0.014 is approximately correct. You might want to ask your teacher how he/she got that 0.0231.

Related to What is the Growth Constant and World Population at Any Time?

What is population growth?

Population growth refers to the increase in the number of individuals in a particular population over a specific period of time. It is typically measured by the population growth rate, which is the percentage change in population size over a certain time period.

What factors contribute to population growth?

Several factors can contribute to population growth, including births, deaths, immigration, and emigration. Births and immigration increase the population size, while deaths and emigration decrease it. Other factors that can influence population growth include access to resources, disease, and environmental conditions.

Why is population growth important?

Population growth is important because it can have significant impacts on a society, economy, and environment. A growing population can increase demand for resources and services, which can lead to social and economic challenges. It can also put a strain on the environment, as more people require more resources and produce more waste.

What are the consequences of rapid population growth?

Rapid population growth can have negative consequences, including strain on resources and services, overcrowding, and environmental degradation. It can also lead to economic challenges, such as high unemployment rates and low economic growth. Additionally, rapid population growth can exacerbate social issues, such as poverty and inequality.

How can population growth be managed?

There are various ways to manage population growth, including promoting family planning and education, implementing policies that support sustainable resource use, and addressing poverty and inequality. Encouraging responsible consumption habits and investing in sustainable development can also help manage population growth and its impacts.