What is the Geometric Interpretation of Dot and Cross Products?

In summary, the equation (a) defines a surface where any vector with an x component of 2 satisfies the equation, while (b) defines a circle in the y-z plane with a radius of 2. The equation simplifies to ||-y \hat{z} + z \hat{y}|| = 2 for (b).
Xkaliber
Describe the surface defined by the equation: (a) [tex]\vec{r}\cdot \hat{x}= 2,[/tex] where [tex]\vec{r}=x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z}[/tex]; (b) [tex]\left \| \vec{r} \times \hat{x}\right \|=2[/tex]

For the first one, I know that is interpreted as the projection of the r vector onto the x-axis is equal to two. However, I am not sure what this means graphically. I have no ideal what the cross product looks like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
For (a), write out what [itex]\vec{r}\cdot \hat{x}[/itex] reduces to:

[tex]\vec{r}\cdot \hat{x} = (x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z}) \cdot \hat{x} = ?[/tex]

Proceed similarly with (b). You don't need to know what the cross product "looks like". You just need to keep in mind these facts:

(1) the cross product obeys the distributive law
(2) [tex]\hat{x} \times \hat{y} = \hat{z}, \quad \hat{y} \times \hat{x} = -\hat{z}[/tex]
(3) [tex]\hat{y} \times \hat{z} = \hat{x}, \quad \hat{z} \times \hat{y} = -\hat{x}[/tex]
(4) [tex] \hat{z} \times \hat{x} = \hat{y}, \quad \hat{x} \times \hat{z} = -\hat{y}[/tex]
(3) [tex]\hat{x} \times \hat{x} = \hat{y} \times \hat{y} = \hat{z} \times \hat{z} = 0[/tex]

Last edited:
Yeah, so basically any any vector with an x component of "2" satisfies part (a). However, even knowing that, I still cannot wrap my head around the surface created by such an equation.

Xkaliber said:
Yeah, so basically any any vector with an x component of "2" satisfies part (a). However, even knowing that, I still cannot wrap my head around the surface created by such an equation.

Try not to think about vectors. The equation is simply

[tex]x = 2[/tex]

What sort of surface in (x,y,z) space satisfies this equation?

Hint: In 2 dimensions, [itex]x = 2[/itex] is a line. In 3 dimensions, [itex]x = 2[/itex] is a ...?

So actually doing the cross product gives the equation: [tex]\left \| -z\hat{y} - y\hat{z}\right \|=2[/tex] So this is the equation is for a circle in in the y-z plane. Did I do that right?

Xkaliber said:
So actually doing the cross product gives the equation: [tex]\left \| -z\hat{y} - y\hat{z}\right \|=2[/tex] So this is the equation is for a circle in in the y-z plane. Did I do that right?

I get

[tex]\vec{r} \times \hat{x} = y (\hat{y} \times \hat{x}) + z(\hat{z} \times \hat{x}) = -y \hat{z} + z \hat{y}[/tex]

so the equation would be

[tex]||-y \hat{z} + z \hat{y}|| = 2[/tex]

You can evaluate the left-hand side to make it look more like the equation for a circle. What does

[tex]||-y \hat{z} + z \hat{y}||[/tex]

simplify to?

Related to What is the Geometric Interpretation of Dot and Cross Products?

1. What is the difference between dot product and cross product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation between two vectors that results in a scalar quantity. It measures the projection of one vector onto another. On the other hand, the cross product, also known as the vector product, is a mathematical operation that results in a vector quantity. It measures the perpendicularity between two vectors.

2. How do you calculate the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors, A and B, is calculated by multiplying their corresponding components and adding them together. The formula for the dot product is A · B = |A||B|cosθ, where |A| and |B| are the magnitudes of the vectors and θ is the angle between them.

3. What is the physical significance of the dot product?

The dot product has several physical interpretations, such as determining the work done by a force on an object, finding the angle between two vectors, and calculating the projection of one vector onto another. It is also used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities like power and torque.

4. How do you find the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors, A and B, is calculated by taking the determinant of a specific matrix. The resulting vector is perpendicular to both A and B and its magnitude is equal to the product of the magnitudes of A and B multiplied by the sine of the angle between them. The formula for the cross product is A x B = |A||B|sinθn, where n is a unit vector perpendicular to both A and B.

5. What are some applications of the cross product?

The cross product has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to calculate torque, magnetic force, and angular momentum. In computer graphics, it is used to determine the orientation of objects in 3D space. In mathematics, it is used to find the area of a parallelogram and to solve systems of equations.