What is the Gaussian Integral for Moments?

In summary, the conversation discusses using moments to find the mean of a probability density function (pdf). The pdf is given and the individual is unsure how to proceed with the calculation. The conversation then delves into the process of integrating the pdf and the importance of checking the limits of integration. Finally, the conversation addresses a mistake in the integration process and provides a resource for solving the problem.
roadworx
Hi,

I'm trying to use moments to find the mean of a pdf.

Here is the pdf:

[tex]f(x|\theta) = 2 \theta^{-2}x^3 exp(\frac{-x^2}{\theta})[/tex]

I'm not really sure where to start. I can multiply the pdf by X and then integrate with respect to X, but it gives me the wrong answer.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A wrong answer is a reason to be alert. I'd check the limits of integration and make sure that they are correct in the sense that f(x) > 0 only between those limits.

EnumaElish said:
A wrong answer is a reason to be alert. I'd check the limits of integration and make sure that they are correct in the sense that f(x) > 0 only between those limits.

Basically this is what I've got.

[tex]\int_0^{inf} 2 \theta^{-2}x^{3+2m} dx[/tex]

Using [tex]y=x^2 / \theta[/tex], if I rearrange this I get somehow:

[tex]\int_0^{inf} \theta^{m}y^{m+1} dy[/tex]

Does anyone know where the final x in [tex]x^{3+2m}[/tex] disappears to?

You've forgotten about the exponential term in your distribution function.
roadworx said:
Here is the pdf:

[tex]f(x|\theta) = 2 \theta^{-2}x^3 e^{{-x^2}/{\theta}}[/tex]

[tex]I(k) = \int_0^{\infty} x^k f(x) dx = \int_0^{\infty} 2 \theta^{-2} x^{3+k} e^{{-x^2}/{\theta}} dx[/tex]

This is a Gaussian integral. See this article down where it says "The general class of integrals of the form..." (equation 9).

Related to What is the Gaussian Integral for Moments?

1. What is Integration to find moments?

Integration to find moments is a method used in calculus to determine the area under a curve or the moment of a function. It is used to find the average value of a function over a specific interval or to determine the center of mass of an object with varying density.

2. How is Integration to find moments different from other integration methods?

Unlike other integration methods which focus on finding the total area under a curve, Integration to find moments takes into account the distance of each point from a given axis. This allows for the determination of the center of mass or the average value of a function over a specific interval.

3. What are the applications of Integration to find moments in real life?

Integration to find moments has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to determine the center of mass of objects, calculate the average value of a function over a specific interval, and analyze the distribution of data in statistics.

4. What are the steps involved in using Integration to find moments?

The first step is to determine the function and the limits of integration. Then, the function is multiplied by the distance from the given axis. Next, the integral is evaluated using the appropriate integration techniques. Finally, the result is divided by the total area under the curve to find the moment or average value.

5. Are there any limitations to Integration to find moments?

Integration to find moments can only be used for functions that have a finite area under the curve. Additionally, it may not be applicable for functions with complex shapes or for situations where the density is not consistent. In such cases, other integration methods may be more suitable.