What is the Formula for Multiplying Complex Numbers in Polar Form?

In summary, there is a formula for z=(Cosx +iSinx)^4 (Cosy + iSiny)^2 that involves converting the expressions in ( ) to their corresponding exponential forms. This can be simplified to z=e^{(4x + 2y)i} where x represents the real part scalar and y represents the imaginary part scalar. This formula can be used to find the general way of solving z.
Joza
IS there a formula for:

z=(Cosx +iSinx)^4 (Cosy + iSiny)^2 ??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You mean a way to simplify it? Just change each expression in ( ) to its corresponding exponential form.

This doesn't make any sense: one of x and y has to represent the real part scalar and the other the imaginary part scalar. The expression you have there implies that neither x nor y are scalars and hence aren't axial values.

Last edited:
Well I just put them in instead of the actual values...I'm just looking for the general way.

So do I simplify each and then multiply them or something?

If so, have you tried, as daveb suggested[tex] z=(\cos x +i\sin x)^{4} * (\cos y + i\sin y)^{2} [/tex]

[tex] z = e^{4xi} * e^{2yi}[/tex]

[tex] z = e^{(4x + 2y)i}[/tex]

[tex] z = \cos (4x + 2y) + i \sin (4x + 2y) [/tex]

Last edited:
I have only ever seen the last line there before, but that's actually what I thought it was. It's one of those rules.

Cheers guys!

Related to What is the Formula for Multiplying Complex Numbers in Polar Form?

1. What are complex numbers and why are they used?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and an imaginary part. They are used in mathematics to solve problems that involve imaginary quantities, such as the square root of a negative number.

2. What is the polar form of a complex number?

The polar form of a complex number is a way of expressing a complex number in terms of its magnitude and argument, where the magnitude is the distance from the origin and the argument is the angle the complex number makes with the positive real axis.

3. How do you convert a complex number from rectangular form to polar form?

To convert a complex number from rectangular form to polar form, you can use the formula r = √(x² + y²) for the magnitude and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x) for the argument. Once you have these values, you can express the complex number as r(cos θ + i sin θ).

4. What is the relationship between the rectangular and polar forms of a complex number?

The rectangular and polar forms of a complex number are two different ways of representing the same number. The rectangular form is in terms of the real and imaginary parts (a + bi), while the polar form is in terms of magnitude and argument (r(cos θ + i sin θ)). These forms are related by the formula z = a + bi = r(cos θ + i sin θ).

5. How are complex numbers used in real life applications?

Complex numbers are used in various scientific and engineering fields, such as electrical engineering, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in everyday applications like computer graphics and navigation systems. In finance, complex numbers are used to model stock prices and predict market trends.