What is the Formula for Magnetic Force in Electromagnets?

In summary: The Tesla (apud Nicolo Tesla) is a unit for MAGNETIC FIELD INDUCTION,commonly noted by \vec{B} ,which is a pseudovector. The magnetic induction is the magnetic flux density.
ccflyer
Hi everyone, I am trying to learn about electromagnets for a project I am working on and I need to know how much magnetic force (in Teslas) that I would need to lift a given weight. Would anyone be able to point out a formula that I would be able to use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-ccflyer

Physics news on Phys.org
First, a Tesla is NOT a unit of magnetic force- it is a unit of magnetic flux density- the flux density that will result in a 1 Newton force acting on a one coulomb charge moving at one meter per second perpendicular to the magnetic flux direction.

So no one can tell you "how many Teslas" you need to lift a given weight- it depends on much more than weight. Of course, you would start by expressing your weight in Newtons- that's the force you need. Now you would need to figure in the magnetic properties of the material you are lifting- that's going to be the hard part. The same magnetic field will result in different forces on different kinds of metals.

alright, I get what you are saying, and I guess that makes sense, but would you be able to point me in the direction of a formula?

Last edited:
Well magnetic force is defined as

[tex] \vec{F}_{b} = q \vec{v} \times \vec{B} [/tex]

where q is the charge, B is the magnetic field, and v is the velocity of the charge.

HallsofIvy said:
First, a Tesla is NOT a unit of magnetic force- it is a unit of magnetic flux density- the flux density that will result in a 1 Newton force acting on a one coulomb charge moving at one meter per second perpendicular to the magnetic flux direction.

So no one can tell you "how many Teslas" you need to lift a given weight- it depends on much more than weight. Of course, you would start by expressing your weight in Newtons- that's the force you need. Now you would need to figure in the magnetic properties of the material you are lifting- that's going to be the hard part. The same magnetic field will result in different forces on different kinds of metals.

No,no,big confusion.The Tesla (apud Nicolo Tesla) is a unit for MAGNETIC FIELD INDUCTION,commonly noted by [itex] \vec{B} [/itex],which is a pseudovector.

See post #7.

Daniel.

Last edited:
This is what I found at http://www.answers.com/topic/tesla
"The unit of magnetic flux density in the International System of Units, equal to the magnitude of the magnetic field vector necessary to produce a force of one Newton on a charge of one coulomb moving perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field vector with a velocity of one meter per second. It is equivalent to one weber per square meter. "

It's not called "magnetic flux density",but "magnetic induction".

[tex] \Phi_{mag}=:\iint_{S} \vec{B}\cdot d\vec{S} [/tex]

,so indeed the magnetic induction is the magnetic flux density.But the first name is the correct SI one.

Daniel.

Related to What is the Formula for Magnetic Force in Electromagnets?

1. What is the formula for magnetic force?

The formula for magnetic force is F = qvBsinθ, where F is the force in Newtons, q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity of the particle, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

2. How is the magnetic force formula derived?

The magnetic force formula is derived from the Lorentz force equation, which describes the force exerted on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. By setting the electric field to zero, we can isolate the magnetic force and use the cross product of the velocity and magnetic field vectors to find the direction of the force.

3. Is the magnetic force formula different for different types of particles?

No, the magnetic force formula is the same for all charged particles, regardless of their mass or charge. However, the force experienced by different particles may vary depending on their charge and velocity.

4. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic force?

The unit of measurement for magnetic force is Newtons (N), which is the same unit used for other types of forces.

5. Can the magnetic force formula be used for non-moving charges?

No, the magnetic force formula only applies to moving charges. If the charge is at rest, there will be no force exerted on it by the magnetic field.