What is the formula for calculating the Ascendant?

• A
  • Thread starter Jerky Jesse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the Ascendant for a programming application using a formula. The formula involves converting degrees to radians and taking into account factors such as latitude and ecliptic. There is a question about whether additional conversion is needed and the possibility of using tables or lists to calculate the Ascendant. The conversation suggests checking out the wiki article for more information.
Jerky Jesse
I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the Ascendant for a programming application but I have little experience with this level of math.

My formula is this:

1998 December 31st 13:15 Brussels, Belgium.

double d2R = M_PI / 180; double R2d = 180 / M_PI; double latitude = 50.8503*d2R; double RAMC=287.8256496*d2R; double ecliptic=23.4392911*d2R;

double ASC = 1/MathArctan (- ( (MathTan (latitude ) * MathTan (ecliptic)) + (MathSin (RAMC) * MathCos (ecliptic)) ) / MathCos(RAMC));

double ascendant=ASC*R2d; which equals 68.28333 degrees.

Do I have to do some kind of conversion after using the formula? I think it may have to do with quadrants but I'm not sure...

Any leads would be very appreciated. I can't use tables or lists of ascendants to calculate this.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Related to What is the formula for calculating the Ascendant?

1. What is the Ascendant?

The Ascendant, also known as the rising sign, is a point on the ecliptic (the path of the Sun through the sky) that is rising on the eastern horizon at the exact moment of a person's birth. It is one of the most significant components of a birth chart in astrology.

2. Why is calculating the Ascendant important?

Calculating the Ascendant is important because it reveals the way a person presents themselves to the world, their outward personality, and how they interact with others. It also plays a crucial role in determining the overall energy and themes of a person's birth chart.

3. What is the formula for calculating the Ascendant?

The formula for calculating the Ascendant is complex and involves using the date, time, and location of a person's birth. It is based on the rotation of the Earth and the position of the Sun, Moon, and planets at the time of birth. There are many online calculators and software programs available to accurately calculate a person's Ascendant.

4. How does the Ascendant differ from the Sun sign?

The Ascendant and Sun sign are two different components of a person's birth chart in astrology. The Ascendant represents the way a person presents themselves to the world, while the Sun sign represents their inner self, core personality, and ego. The Ascendant can also change every two hours, while the Sun sign changes every month.

5. Can the Ascendant change over time?

Yes, the Ascendant can change over time. It shifts about one degree every four minutes, so it takes approximately two hours for it to change signs. The Ascendant also changes every time a person changes location, making it an essential factor to consider when moving to a new place.